What's the best foreign language software out there?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm interested in obtaining a true fluency in Russian. I realize that this is a long term thing, but I've always wanted to become fluent in another language, and I really like Russian. I took Russian 101 way back when, so I'm comfortable with the alphabet and a very small amount of grammar.

I have two text books, a Penguin Russian course and a text book that appears to have been published at the end of the Soviet era in Moscow. I hear good things about Rosetta Stone, and I've done a few lessons in Japanese using it and it seemed pretty neat.

I realize that the best way to become fluent would be to take a class or better yet move to Russia, but both of those aren't options.

Is Rosetta Stone really useful for true language understanding? If not, is any software?

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I haven't heard good things about Rosetta Stone. You can advance, but only to a certain point, after that it's just beating against the wall.
You need a good tutor, and preferably one who can explain grammar and special cases, so that you understand the core structure of the language. Then you can feel it, and get a good grip on conjugations and word inflections.

If anyone tells you 'we'll just start talking and I'll teach you basic conversation' - run away. I've yet to see one student who was able to speak/read Russian after those tutors, and I've seen quite a few.

Another option is to try your local community college. They may have a good instructor, although chances are pretty slim. Again, if all they do is read Dostoyevskiy with you for the whole semester (so that they can slack off) - this is not the course for you.

We used to give group and individual classes in Russian, but now we moved completely into translation/interpreting.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The only way to become fluent in a foreign language is to move to a country where it's spoken.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: AnyMal
The only way to become fluent in a foreign language is to move to a country where it's spoken.

QFT. This is the way I picked up most of my French.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
I kind of like Rosetta Stone, have been using it in my free time to try and pick up some Russian. Though it doesn't explain a lot, you just build these little mental trees, I think it teaches you how to speak well, but if you have to read you are screeeewwweeed.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: TruePaige
I kind of like Rosetta Stone, have been using it in my free time to try and pick up some Russian. Though it doesn't explain a lot, you just build these little mental trees, I think it teaches you how to speak well, but if you have to read you are screeeewwweeed.

Is Rosetta Stone the first method that you've tried? I seem to do okay with language books, but they can be dry at times.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
like I already said in another pst,

the BEST software to really learn a foreign language

comes in a real short skirt.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
mail order bride will probably be the best software.

There are some hot Russian women, but Russia's got some STD problems.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
dear god, 90% of posts about women end up with STD's mentioned. It kills me. The world has STD problems.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
dear god, 90% of posts about women end up with STD's mentioned. It kills me. The world has STD problems.

Here you go.

I swear to God, sometimes I think it would be better to just bang my head into a wall than to try and have a discussion about something on these forums.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Here you go.

I swear to God, sometimes I think it would be better to just bang my head into a wall than to try and have a discussion about something on these forums.

So you were researching mail order brides?

Also the purchase of a mail order bride here was in jest. If someone is meeting Russian women stateside, chances are they are not fresh off the boat.

Anyway as a man with a condom even HIV women are 'relatively' safe to have plain sex with. I wouldn't go out and chance it, but a random encounter with someone infected with something is not the guaranteed infection that people make it out to be.

Feel free to bang your head into a wall though, maybe you will realize context of posting.