What's the best food for a Puppy?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Its mother's milk.

After it is weaned, try a complete "nutritional" dog food that is color, preservative and chemical additive-free.
READ the label (just like for your own food).

If there is a Trader Joes near you, their dog food is CHEAP and pretty good . . .

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Kittens.

Seriously though try this or if you can't find that locally Eukanuba

I agree with Eukanuba. My dog currently eats the Lamp & Rice formula. When you provide a high quality food for your dog you really improve the dogs digestive process. Nice, firm, dark stool = healthy dog.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Are table scraps really bad for them? I give my dog small chunks of my burger and hot dogs sometimes... as I eat it. Other things like steak and pork chops too... but I always dry the oil out of it on a napkin first.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Are table scraps really bad for them? I give my dog small chunks of my burger and hot dogs sometimes... as I eat it. Other things like steak and pork chops too... but I always dry the oil out of it on a napkin first.
They're ok as treats every once in a while. They're not ok as a steady diet.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Azraele

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
take the dog to the vet, and do what the vet recommends. They always know what's best in regards to your dog's breed, weight, current health, etc. A general statement about what to feed it won't help much.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Thera
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Kittens.

Seriously though try this or if you can't find that locally Eukanuba

I agree with Eukanuba. My dog currently eats the Lamp & Rice formula. When you provide a high quality food for your dog you really improve the dogs digestive process. Nice, firm, dark stool = healthy dog.

Lamp?

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
We used to mix together, warm milk, puppychow previously soaked in milk, and a teaspoon of liverwurst in a cereal bowl for our 8 pug pups we used to have.

~wnied~

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

getting your dog in the habbit of begging at the table eh? not the way i'd go about it, it gets rather annoying at times.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Thera
Originally posted by: Azraele
Actually it might be ok as a steady diet - depending on what you eat. :)

rolleye.gif

But I don't really trust the "commercial" fast-food dog food . . . is it any coincidence that Jack-in-the-Box and Purina (were/)are owned by the same company? :Q Forget "Puppy Chow". :p

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
My lab grew up on a steady diet of shoes and my neighbors newspaper and turned out just fine.

Honestly, don't sweat it and don't believe that BS they try to push on their commercials that your dog needs brand X to grow up happy and healthy. Once you take that step the next thing you know you'll be buying Monster Cable to run to your Bose speakers so you can listen to your Abba records while downing some Grey Goose Vodka. Dogs are remarkably resilient and will survive quite well on a diet of carrion if that is what's available. Feed him/her/it any decent puppy food and save your worries for more important things.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002

Never give them butchered meats, only processed. With butchered meats, the fat usually isn't removed and can cause intestinal distress, diarherra, and other nastiness. Dogs don't digest foods the same way humans do.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
my pup only got cheapo brand food. he's healthy and has a nice shiny coat. i figure as long as you don't go walmart brand its fine. i just get purina.

stick with dry food

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Beef Heart! she'll grow up big and strong!

my friend feeds it to his turtles and they are humongous.