What's the best DVD player out there right now?

krackato

Golden Member
Aug 10, 2000
I'm not talking about some $5000 DVD player that will raise my children. I'm talking about the $60-$200 range (which is pretty broad). Basically I'm looking for something that I can buy retail, plays DVD-R, DVD+R, VCD, SVCD, XSVCD, etc. And as many bells and whistles as possible.

I was looking at the Apex 2600 at Amazon here.

I actually bought it for my parents when it was $40 after rebate but I look at the review now and there are some angry Apex 2600 owners.

On the other end I was looking at the Neuston Maestro DVX-1201. I can only find it for sale on eBay. But it does everything. You can check it out at DVDRhelp.com here but let's just say it seems to play everything including Divx/Xvid/Mpeg4, it's progressive scan, and it does 1080i which is useless to me, but cool none the less. Of course it's $220 and I'd rather buy from a reputable website than an eBay ad.

Are there even cooler DVD players out now?

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
There is that Samsung DVI DVD player, of course I've never used it (Don't have DVI)

dbot

Jan 28, 2004
dont ever get an APEX dvd player. Either get a Pioneer, or Toshiba. Preferably with component outputs, and pregressive scan if your TV has it. Not much else you need.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: dbot
dont ever get an APEX dvd player. Either get a Pioneer, or Toshiba. Preferably with component outputs, and pregressive scan if your TV has it. Not much else you need.

I got an apex with componet out and prgrssive scan. Works fine for me and it plays vcd svcd mp3 and some other stuff. And it plays all regions for the low low price of $39.99

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
If you buy an APEX, buy the extended warranty or whatever the equivalent is called from the store you buy it from. They look cheap, feel cheap, and are cheap, hence the price you pay. They do play just about everything, but are known to go bad. I replaced 2 of mine recently, one of them the 2600, because it started making noises. I bought it at Sears, so I returned the player, w/o remote, manuals, or any other cable and grabbed another one w/o any hassle.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
I bought a Phillips at WalMart for like $70, it plays EVERYTHINg under the sun, MP3, Photo, DVD+r/rw DVD-r/rw you name it.
I have no complaints at all!

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I dunno what is the best anymore, but I have a Phillips DVD724 which Im beyond happy with. It plays anything I throw at it, I originally bought it because I made some SVCDs and brought them to the store and tested different players till I found one that works. Now that I also have a DVD Burner Im still beyond happy with it due to the fact it will play anything +/-R or +/-RW and any VCD or SVCD Ive thrown at it.

From what I've read their newer players like the DVD727 works just as well as my DVD724 does.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
you need to get a player with the faroudja deinterlacer chip for best quality. but most players with it are discontinued now and hard to find. luckily some new ones came out, and the denon 910 can be had for under 300.

shootout results are here

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: rubix
you need to get a player with the faroudja deinterlacer chip for best quality. but most players with it are discontinued now and hard to find. luckily some new ones came out, and the denon 910 can be had for under 300.

shootout results are here: myurl

It seems he doesnt have HDTV cause he said 1080i is useless to him, so why waste the money on something your not gonna use.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Well you might as well get a good DVD player so that when you DO upgrade your TV, you won't need a new player too...it's just a matter of when. I agree that the Denon 910 is a great player, but maybe you could look around online for some of the popular players in the last 2 years, used...and also, look for a player that has qualities that matter to you. Do you want great video and so-so audio? or vice-versa? Many players will perform better in one category than others.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
well he said best and besides most players, including the denon 910, don't do 1080i anyway. that is out of the dvd specs. 480i/p is what normal dvd players output. only some newer players do upscaling and they so far have poor deinterlacing, but will probably improve in the future.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The Koss 365 is good for only $50. Plays all formats, DIgital Outputs, components outputs, progressive scan, etc. Might not play burned discs as well as some others but it's played all the ones I've tried just fine.

Can get it from Sears.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
haha..I knew we would get the "just get a 29.99 dvd player that plays all regions blah blah"..who really needs to play all regions anyways.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

I've got the XP30 in the shootout and the picture is phenomenal. It's so much better than the $600 non-progressive scan POS Sony I had before.

If you want the best picture period, take rubix's advice and find a DVD player with the Faroudja chip inside. That will get you a DVD player that most will consider the "best" or else you might want to change your title to "What's the most versatile DVD player for under $200?"

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Originally posted by: Dulanic
I dunno what is the best anymore, but I have a Phillips DVD724 which Im beyond happy with. It plays anything I throw at it, I originally bought it because I made some SVCDs and brought them to the store and tested different players till I found one that works. Now that I also have a DVD Burner Im still beyond happy with it due to the fact it will play anything +/-R or +/-RW and any VCD or SVCD Ive thrown at it. From what I've read their newer players like the DVD727 works just as well as my DVD724 does.

nice DVD player! It is what i have and I agree it will play anything I put in the drive, it rocks...especially for a sub $100 unit.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SaigonK
Originally posted by: Dulanic
I dunno what is the best anymore, but I have a Phillips DVD724 which Im beyond happy with. It plays anything I throw at it, I originally bought it because I made some SVCDs and brought them to the store and tested different players till I found one that works. Now that I also have a DVD Burner Im still beyond happy with it due to the fact it will play anything +/-R or +/-RW and any VCD or SVCD Ive thrown at it. From what I've read their newer players like the DVD727 works just as well as my DVD724 does.

nice DVD player! It is what i have and I agree it will play anything I put in the drive, it rocks...especially for a sub $100 unit.

Any place where you can pick up the 724 still?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Denon makes some great DVD players. That'll be my next DVD player purchase. I've already got a few nice DVD players though, so it'll be awhile.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
My Apex 1500 is still going strong after 2 1/2 years or so. I'll get a new one when this ever breaks but it plays everything. Yes, it looks and feels cheap but if it does the job, I can live with the looks.