Whats the best college for computer stuff?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
And is there any better type of major than computer engineer or computer science that is more hardware related? I'll put out a poll once there is enough colleges/majors suggested for one.

br0wn

Jun 22, 2000
The following is most famous for AI programs (and of course other programs also) :
MIT, Stanford and CMU

These are for Computer Graphics :
U of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), U of Illinois (Urbana), U of Utah, Brown, Cornell, Georgia Tech,
Duke Univ

These are for Computer Hardware :
U of Texas (Austin), U of Wisconsin (Madison), U of Washington, U of Michigan (Ann Arbor), Caltech

There are for Theory :
Yale Univ, Princeton Univ, Harvard Univ

Other great univs :
Johns Hophkins Univ, Rice Univ, U of Calif (Berkeley), UCLA, U of Southern Calif,
Purdue Univ, U of Pennsylvania, U of Mass (Amherst), U of Maryland (CP).

Those listed are best of the best so you won't regret with any of them.

If you want more hardware than computer engineering, go for an EE degree (you can
specialized in computer hardware, depends on the univ)

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Thanks guys, ummmm whats EE stand for? NFS4, what do you major in (I'm assuming that you attend N.C.S.). I've been looking at some of these college's web sites and the price nearly doubles if your from out of state! How ridiculous is that? Anyone know of any in New York (besides R.I.T.)? Kepp 'em coming. Thanks

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
At the undergraduate level it does not make that much difference where you go. At the graduate level it will make a big difference. I'd just choose a local school that you can afford without getting to far in debt for undergraduate work.

The reason that out of state costs are much higher for public schools is that the state subsidies a portion of the costs for residents. Depending on the school/state though it can be cheaper to pay out/in state tuition.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
damn man you know of RIT in NY when's there's much better overall schools like RPI Cornell and Clarkson scattered around the state.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Well I do live only a half hour away, and they are best known for engineering (I have looked into however and am kinda disapointed in the lack of computer electives). Cornell I know a little about and I've never heard of Clarkson. Care to inform me?

UnderScore

Oct 9, 1999
RIT happens to be the best engineering school in the Northeast and the 5th best engineering school in the nation.

I attend RIT. It certainlly has its ups and downs but it is so worth it.

jaydee:
feel free to email me with any questions.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nobody mentioned University of Kentucky :(....Well, not a great Engineering school....But the only one accredited in the state....OVER LOUISVILLE TOO! (hehe!)...

UK - BSEE 1993 :)

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Upperscore, I think RIT's probably a good school but no way it's the best engineering school in the northeast let alone NY state. I don't really put much faith in the fabricated college rankings us news spits out every year, but even by them I've never seen RIT ranked very highly.

Marty

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Cornell, Baby!! :D

Though I'm just a freshman and can't tell you much about higher level courses.

Marty

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Yes, I think corn'll gets the nod of most likely the best overall school in the state, as much as I don't like to admit it :)