What's the best 10-inch tablet for the money?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
FINALLY! Somebody finally got the memo that tablets aren't selling by the metric boatload by catering to cellar dwelling geeks and single 20 something hipsters.

"Kid mode" is something that has been desperately missing from any of the OS flavors.

Amazon Kindle Fire HD has "kid mode" as of the latest update. The Nook HD also has facility for multiple users.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Say I'm lounging around on my couch watching football and neffing on ATOT at the same time, and I want to change the channel really quickly like a ninja, because ninja is awesome and is ultimately powerful, I can do so without looking for remotes. Oh, and because I want to. You have to be a terrorist to hate having the freedom to change channel at once. Why do you hate America?

In all seriousness, all the tablets now pretty much do the same damn things, I'm looking for that next edge that one does while others don't.

Directv has remote apps for Android and iOS. On iOS you can watch shows too.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
been messing around the lenovo yoga 13. Pretty sweet device. I'd say, the battery life is marginally worse than my nexus 7, and it's running an i5!

Boot times are amazing. from scratch it's some where around 4 seconds. wtf. Wow, my iOS device doesn't boot that fast!

Feb 19, 2001
What tablet can't do that ?

iPad. You can't attach many things.

But honestly, you're typically attaching pics, pdfs, docs, things you can already attach on the iPad. He just wants to be able to attach APKs, Zip Files, etc. I find that necessary 1 day a year probably.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
iPad. You can't attach many things.

But honestly, you're typically attaching pics, pdfs, docs, things you can already attach on the iPad. He just wants to be able to attach APKs, Zip Files, etc. I find that necessary 1 day a year probably.
I just tested it right now, using my GS3 running ICS and an iPhone running iOS 6.

I went into each phone's mail program, viewed an e-mail, hit "reply" and tried to attach a file.

Unfortunately in iOS 6, there is no option to attach a file to an e-mail. In ICS, this is what I saw:

Ou0bV.jpg

Oct 25, 2006
I just tested it right now, using my GS3 running ICS and an iPhone running iOS 6.

I went into each phone's mail program, viewed an e-mail, hit "reply" and tried to attach a file.

Unfortunately in iOS 6, there is no option to attach a file to an e-mail. In ICS, this is what I saw:

Ou0bV.jpg
Apparently you can only attach videos and pictures from the email screen and only find that out by long pressing the compose screenm and only one of these. I thought apple hated hidden menu features?

Arbitrary files need to be selected from outside the email app in order to be sent.

Actually extremely stupid functionality.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Not to mention that you can't attach multiple types of files in iOS either.

Can you actually download files using the browser on iOS? I always assumed you could but know that I think about it you might not be able to due to not having any sort of file system access.

Last edited:

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000

Ou0bV.jpg

You need to select it from perspective programs (Pictures/Video from Pictures) to attach to/compose email. If you want to send Documents and Pictures, you can't send it from the same email, you'll need to compose different email from each 'program' on iOS. IIRC

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You need to select it from perspective programs (Pictures/Video from Pictures) to attach to/compose email. If you want to send Documents and Pictures, you can't send it from the same email, you'll need to compose different email from each 'program' on iOS. IIRC
I hope they fire the guy who thought of that.

Oh wait, they did.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Not to mention that you can't attach multiple types of files in iOS either.

Can you actually download files using the browser on iOS? I always assumed you could but know that I think about it you might not be able to due to not having any sort of file system access.

I'm not sure about native Safari, but with Atomic you can download files and transfer them to your PC or open them in iOS if they are a supported file type. If you are jailbroken (and why would you not be ...) you can also do this with Safari.