Whats that piece of hardware called??

loosbrew

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2000
I need to use one monitor and one mouse between two PC's, and i forgot what they are called....so i dont know what to look for on Pricewtahc! :)

thanks
loosbrew

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
A KVM switch. I think that's the brand...someone told me about it a couple of weeks ago. They have ones w/audio too! You plug your speakers into the switch and get sound no matter which PC you use. Cool. Good luck.

guitronics

Apr 4, 2001
It's called a KVM.It stands for Keyboard/Video/Mouse.The only thing they havn't figured out yet is the sound from either 'puter....I'm sure it is simple,they just don't care!Hopefully,your computers are a small distance away from each other....any cables over 6' are expensive.

loosbrew

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2000
nah the PCs are right next to each other...thanks for the replies, exactly what i was looking for.
loosbrew

julianf

Jun 6, 2001
it's a KVM switchbox, manhatten makes them, but they stink... it needs to be digital, cause the switch on the analog box usually goes bad after a short while, and the only thing that will work is your monitor...

hope it helps...

loosbrew

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2000
so which brand would you guys recommend? i was looking at a belkin omnicube 2 at staples for $93. seems like a decent box, but im just not sure what to look for. i only need it for two pcs.

thanks again fellas
loosbrew

dreamseason

Mar 14, 2001
I have the Linksys ProConnect Compact 2-port. $55 at Amazon.com, but I used a GC. It was the cheapest one I found, comes with cables too.

ASK THE COMMUNITY