What's stopping iPhones and Android Phones from becoming consoles?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by senttoschool, Dec 24, 2012.

1. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

All I said was that stocks shouldn't be a proxy for how well a company can launch a product (high stock price doesn't mean a company can launch a product). The reverse of course is true long term, but Google makes 96-97% of its money from ads, so it's a moot point. They will never have to put as much energy into ensuring a launch goes smoothly as long as the company's revenues don't depend on products related to Android.

2. senttoschool

senttoschool Golden Member

Google has had many failed launches and services but also many successful ones; Gmail, Google docs, maps, Adwords, Adsense, and of course, Android.

If you are basing on the unavailability of Nexus 4 to proclaim that they'll fail to launch a new product, you are trolling. Simple as that.

3. senttoschool

4. Dumac

Dumac Diamond Member

Form factor isn't right. Phones aren't meant to be kept running at high capacity.

Plus, you are looking at graphics at the low resolution phone screens. They aren't HD.

Ouya may help bring more legitimate games to android, but who knows. The hardware is old and nothing of substance has been produced.

5. senttoschool

Phones have high resolution.

6. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

7. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

It just seems an overly complicated way to essentially just play PC games on your tv with a wireless controller.

8. A5

A5 Diamond Member

If you're already in your house anyway, just sit down at your PC and play it there. The cloud stuff isn't going to work that well and the Android games aren't going to be worth the price of the device.

9. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

#84 grkM3, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  10. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

If someone specifically says they want to play their games on the couch or on the TV, sitting at their desk is what they don't want to do. I'll sit at my desk when I'm playing Dead Island or an RTS game, but I have a lot of games that would work just fine on a controller and in fact be more enjoyable.

11. Ravynmagi

What's complicated for the end user? It actually looks like a very simple way to play PC games on the TV. :)

12. Ravynmagi

Sometimes it's nice to not be stuck in the same room all the time. I like to get out of the computer room, relax on the couch, maybe chill on the patio with my handhelp playing Guildwars 2.

13. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Apart from just having an HTPC attached to your tv you mean.

14. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Having an entirely separate machine (that will need a good video card as well) is a lot more complicated than a simple hand held that can be used anywhere in the house.

15. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Don't you need a PC to stream from?

16. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Yes, it's called my laptop. Something that I like keeping on my desk, not lugging it around the house.

My HTPC is my Android phone.

17. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

So you need a PC, a compatible TV, and an expensive handheld to play PC games on this system? And that's assuming that you have an uber laptop that can run PC games at decent framrates.

18. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

No, all I need is this handheld and I can then play my PC games anywhere in the house, as well anywhere I decide to take my laptop.

I do have an uber laptop, I ditched my desktop for it.

It seems you don't like this Project Shield, that you only play your PC games sitting behind your desktop. That's perfectly fine, continue to enjoy that! Meanwhile those of us who like more options and flexibility will make use of tech like this.

19. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

I thought we were talking about streaming games to the TV?

20. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Wouldn't Widi/Miracast and a wireless controller be a much cheaper and easier way to stream a game to your tv without the need for a compatible nvidia gpu and a handheld console? Most decent laptops made in the last few years already have Widi as an option so if you are using a laptop as your main system you probably already have part of the needed hardware.

#95 Puddle Jumper, Jan 8, 2013
  21. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

That's why I thought that this was overly complicated.

22. Dumac

Dumac Diamond Member

Uh...no they don't.

Galaxy S3: 720x1280 pixels
    iPhone 5: 640×1136 pixels

That's pretty small. Resolutions like that haven't been impressive on PC for years now. Some phones coming out now are 1080p, but not many. That pushing games at that res will be difficult, esp for OUYA.

#97 Dumac, Jan 8, 2013
  23. senttoschool

Consider that the vast majority of gamers play on their PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360, they won't notice the downgrade in resolution.

Developers don't even have to cater to the phone's resolution. Once you plug into the TV, you can use the TV's resolution.

24. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

You might as well just embed the console in the TV, screw the damn phone. Or put consoles in remote controls. Or refrigerators. Everyone has those. The average lifespan for a phone is only 2-3 years or so. I just don't see the average person having any interest in this at all. And the hard-core gamers who might find this concept neat either already own a console, PC or hand held device for gaming.

25. Dumac

Dumac Diamond Member

Next gen of consoles has already started. Even before the WiiU, people were getting tired of 720p (or, god forbid, 480p) gaming on consoles as most other stuff have already moved on to 1080p.

You can't just use the TV's resolution. The hardware isn't good enough to push 1080p.

Not to mention, if this is a phone, pushing the HW that hard for extended amounts of time isn't good for the phone. Phones are meant for sporadic use.

#100 Dumac, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013