What's something good to paint gun sights to make them glow in the dark?

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hello all,

I'm wondering what a good substance is to use to paint my airsoft gun sights with to make them glow (faintly) in the dark. I'd rather that the substance glows on its own (without charging), but I don't know if you can buy anything like that. I know the Army uses tritium for this purpose, but is that stuff commercially avaliable? I know it would be expensive. Also, would the radiation be harmful?

Thanks,
Swan

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I've got tritium sights on my Glock so it's available, but I don't know about finding a paint with it in it.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Anyone have ideas on where to buy this stuff? I've done a google search and just came up with information, no stores.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Jeez, if you would have asked two weeks ago, I'd have said go to your local costume shop (halloween) and find some glow-in-the-dark nail polish.

Edit: no, their not tridium, but it works.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau6183
Jeez, if you would have asked two weeks ago, I'd have said go to your local costume shop (halloween) and find some glow-in-the-dark nail polish.

Edit: no, their not tridium, but it works.

Not a bad idea, but how long does it last?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Just remember....if you can see your sites glowing in the dark so can everyone else.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

have you considered the red dot projector sights? 10 bux or so, but it uses a watch battery.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Just remember....if you can see your sites glowing in the dark so can everyone else.

That's why I added the word "faintly";)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Tritium is radioactive, yes, but not extremely so. Commercial grade tritium sights (Trijicon is the best known manufacturer) will set you back about $100, but will last forever. I'm sure you could figure some kind of cheaper ghetto solution if you wanted to though.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: OS
have you considered the red dot projector sights? 10 bux or so, but it uses a watch battery.

Yes, a friend of mine has one of those and I'm still considering it. I'd rather not add the bulk to the gun, though.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1
Tritium is radioactive, yes, but not extremely so. Commercial grade tritium sights (Trijicon is the best known manufacturer) will set you back about $100, but will last forever. I'm sure you could figure some kind of cheaper ghetto solution if you wanted to though.

:Q Kinda silly to spend $20 on my KWC spring gun and $100 on paint for the sights. I guess I'll be looking into another option!

Apr 5, 2000
Break open a glow stick - that stuff last for years (my bathroom sink handles glowed for years when I accidently got some on it)

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Swanny
Originally posted by: OS

Yes, a friend of mine has one of those and I'm still considering it. I'd rather not add the bulk to the gun, though.

That's what I've got on my paintball gun. I love it.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1

It's regulated by the Government and by itself is not available to the public.