what's so special about WOW?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Originally posted by: michaels
But what's so special about it? Don't you basically do the same old stuff all the time?

Just like most other MMORPGs, it involves mostly constant item gathering quests and getting the best stuff so you can brag with other people about how many hours you've played the game.

yup, been there w/a different MMORPG... done that @40hrs/week while going to school full time

school suffered :(

edit:
but made a huge wade of real world cash selling game world items :)

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
It's crack, it really is. I'm lvling a UD Mage right now. OMFG, NERF Mage! I feel so overpowered.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
WoW is a simplistic MMORPG that is easy to pick up and play, but still somewhat complex to truly master. Its interface is intuitive and its style and design are very fluid and appealing, if a bit cartoonish. It also exists in the Warcraft universe, which has a decent mythos.

Basically, they played the numbers game and hit the jackpot. Purists still cry that it "sucks," but being the Friends/Walmart/Mustang of the MMORPG world has done nothing but generate $$ for Blizzard.

pretty much nailed it on the head.

addictive game that unlike previous MMOs appeals to the masses becuase it is easier, requires less time(unless you get real hardcore), and is kinda cartoony.

People like me who like EQ...arnt not a fan of WoW cause its way to easy, simple, and ........ugh..its just lame.

revnja

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: michaels
Is cheating a problem?

Of course in every game, you'll have the fair share of people that attempt to cheat (and others who get away with it), but Blizzard does a pretty good job weeding out all of the cheaters. Of course cheating is an issue (as in every game), but it's a very small issue for the end-user such as yourself. Blizzard also has an in-game reporting function where if you see someone cheating, you can directly contact a GM to file a complaint and they will start an investigation.

To make a short story shorter: You won't have to worry about cheaters in WoW.

(please note this is taken from my own experience. I have encountered a maximum of two cheaters the whole time I've been playing WoW, and I noticed that they were quickly dealt with.)

revnja

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked
It's crack, it really is. I'm lvling a UD Mage right now. OMFG, NERF Mage! I feel so overpowered.

Don't nerf mages! We're fine just how we are!

i play a mage