What's scarier, bungee jumping or skydiving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordUnum

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Playmaker
Originally posted by: LordUnum
Not to mention that you lose a bit of perspective when jumping from 10,000 to 30,000 ft. above the ground. Reality sets in quick when you climb the ladder or stairs for a bungee jump.

Are there companies that actually let you jump from 30,000 ft? Wouldn't you need oxygen?
Why yes. :)

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan
bungee jumping, why? because you jump, and caught by a cord meters before you can hit the ground. skydiving, you pull the cord and float back to earth 1000+ feet up

That's about it....

I went bungee jumping over a lakeshore (crane type suspension), and there's nothing worse then the ground rushing up at youy, and no controls to slow down at all...

I don't think I'd ever bungee jump again... I much prefer skydiving

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: Aj_UF
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: InlineFour
what's scarier for people who have minor/severe acrophobia?

i think bungee jumping would be scarier because you can see the ground. the clouds block your view when you're skydiving, not to mention the time it takes to hit the ground is much longer for skydiving.

i've done both.

bungee jumping is scarier because you're alone. walking to the edge of a platform and looking down is scary.

with skydiving, you;re strapped to a professional. that gives you reassurance.

Not to be too sarcastic, but the ignorance is strong with this one.

Dang, JEDI, what the heck am I doing wrong? My instructors keep letting me go during freefall and the whole time I should be strapped to a professional? ;)

(Not all skydives are tandem btw.)

~AJ

1st timers usually are in tandam. you pay extra to jump alone. then you have 2 skydiviers with you when you jump. (one to each side)

My first jump was single, but static line at 5000 feet... instant addiction... wish I could afford more jumps... :(

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
JEDI, I know, I know...you should've put your first post in some sort of context because you're right, first jumps are usually tandem...but as blakeatwork stated, his was a static line jump...so you're right MOST of the time, but you should've provided a bit more than a general, blanket statement that is obviously not 100% true.

~AJ

For the record, I will finish my AFF jumps #6 & 7 this weekend (weather permitting)