What's 'new'ish to stick with 939 from Opteron 146

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
I bought the 146 back when they were the buzz here.

I was wondering in order to play today's graphics combined with a newer card (x800 unlocked; I will look into that later),
what is the thing to get today that will keep me from changing motherboards, sticking with 939?

I want the best performance for the difference in upgrading and cost from the 146.

I play things from FPS, minor RTS (Rome), RPGish, to EQ II/LOTRO.

tachikoma

Aug 22, 2005
I just upgraded from an Opteron 180 (not really by choice but because someone wanted to buy my rig) and it was still an awesome socket 939 CPU (dual core 2.4Ghz 2x1MB cache)

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
well if you are able to run any of the 939 chips including opterons newegg still has an opteron 185 for sale here but for around $300 or so you can build a core 2 duo setup if you shop around. that is board, memory and chip. i should know as i just did that :)

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I slapped a 180 in to replace a 148 to make the jump from single to dual core and honestly, even with all the C2D madness going on all around, I have no inclination to go faster than where I'm at. Any bottleneck in games or whatnot is going to be the video card for quite some time. Even though my x1950Pro isn't a top tier card by any means, it is plenty fast for all the games I'm playing and the dual core 180 will keep me going pretty well. I paid next to nothing for the chip so it was totally worth it.

Making the jump from single to dual core is a smart idea. You always have plenty of upward mobility by upgrading the video card, since the x800 isn't that much of a performer.

Part of my desire to cling to this socket is the fact that it uses DDR, etc. The last thing I feel like doing is scrapping my mobo, cpu and memory all at once.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
About 2 months ago, there were all sorts of specials on S939 processors. I bought a new 4200+ X2 for $65 at the beginning of November. Now I can't find it for less than $120. You can get an Opteron 180 for $170 if you don't want to update your MB. Opteron 180 link

With the prices of Socket 939 processors, MB's and Ram right now, it is really a better deal to sell what you have (sell each seperately) and purchase a brand new computer. You might even make some money doing that, as you can buy new parts cheaper than used S939 parts.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
This is more of a, keeping up with the times inquiry first, as I don't have a job - so no money now - til next week for 4 days, then a longer term job starting on the 23rd.