What's in your zombie survival kit?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

I'd prefer to pick the zombies off further away rather then let them get close enough to use a shotgun. I wouldn't mind one, but carrying two long guns is kind of prohibitive to movement. Granted, with a folding stock, it could be in the pack while I carry a magnum shotgun thats capable of 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 with an 18" barrel.

Yes, I don't understand why people always underestimate a .22 lr. Shot placement is more important then shot size most of the time, and while most .22lr is at about 1300fps, it'll easily penetrate a skull to take out a zombie. With bulelts being so small, you can carry much more then larger rounds. I guess its the whole "i'm a man, I only carry 50bmg and 44mags, not that wimpy 9mm that'll bounce off a paper cup.

Yes, the military uses 308 and 5.56 (.223), barely bigger then a 22 but with more powder behind it.

Because a .22 lr wont kill a zombie.

so its safe to assume that you've killed zombies before?

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Perfect!

Now I just need my zombie survival kit and I'm ready to take on the risen.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: JasonCoder
Originally posted by: TallBill

I'd prefer to pick the zombies off further away rather then let them get close enough to use a shotgun. I wouldn't mind one, but carrying two long guns is kind of prohibitive to movement. Granted, with a folding stock, it could be in the pack while I carry a magnum shotgun thats capable of 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 with an 18" barrel.

Yes, I don't understand why people always underestimate a .22 lr. Shot placement is more important then shot size most of the time, and while most .22lr is at about 1300fps, it'll easily penetrate a skull to take out a zombie. With bulelts being so small, you can carry much more then larger rounds. I guess its the whole "i'm a man, I only carry 50bmg and 44mags, not that wimpy 9mm that'll bounce off a paper cup.

Yes, the military uses 308 and 5.56 (.223), barely bigger then a 22 but with more powder behind it.

Because a .22 lr wont kill a zombie.

How do you know? It kills people easily enough. It has enough punch to go through a skull, if not back out. Ok, sometimes it might bounce off, but I doubt most zombies are twisting and turning and unless these are the quick 28 days later zombies, they'll be easy enough to target.

Actually this is exactly what you want. What does more damage (a) a projectile that goes through the skull or (b) one that goes in and bounces around a lot?

A good true life crime novel about the homicide squad in Baltimore had the medical examiner claiming the .22 was the deadliest round on the street. They all had stories of the magic bullets that went in the torso and caromed off ten different ribs bones and vertebrae. Much worse than, say, a .38 straight through.

That was my point when I said enough force to enter and not exit. When I said bounce off, what I meant is that the .22lr also has a chance to say bounce off a thicker skull plate if it hits it at an angle and so never enter in the first place.

Of course, this all depends on the type of zombie we're facing here and what needs to be destroyed before they die a second time.