What's going on in Turkey?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
The Spanish learned how to deal with Franco? How? They just waited for him to die. That's not what i'd call learning to "deal with it."

They found the route of his successor's car and packed the street beneath it with so much explosives that his car got blown 20 meters into the air and landed on a second story balcony. :cool:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Lol dude, Turkey's never been great??? Are u that biased that ull even ignore history? The ottoman empire was one of the most powerful in Europe & Europeans were terrified they'd take over Europe. How exactly did Greece "influence" Turkey?? Turkey conquered Greece and it was part of the ottoman empire for 350 years (it was called Tourkokratia) , so how exactly did Greece influence Turkey & not the other way around? Civilizations have their hayday, turkey is no exception.

I swear reading what some u guys say about the east u'd think civilization started in the west. Be a student of history, civilization happens in stages, western & northern Europe used to be shitholes for the majority of humanities existence, it would've remained that way if not for the Mediterranean world & the near east. Stop being so Eurocentric in ur outlook. Just because western Europe has been on the ascendant for the past 500 years you think we owe it everything? 500 years is a blink of an eye in the history of humanity.

The native people of Anatolia are the Greeks, the "Turks" came from central Asia and took the Greeks over culturally, but numbers wise the Greeks were always the vast majority. Theres no way Turkey was not heavily effected by Greek culture, since its people are largely Greeks who adapted into the Turkish culture.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Nothing to do with NATO. Erdogan is a good leader but not a democrat, after 3 election victories he started acting like a semi-God and people reacted to not one issue but everything combined. The serious clashes involved tear gas and water but e government at last admitted the error and is apologising (not Erdogan but his deputies) the peaceful resistance will likely to continue for some time.

The "dictator" label is being used just as "terrorist" label in modern us vs them media coverage. Erdogan today is the same as he was, say 5 years ago. Now, its just too convenient to raise media fury and protesters against him. Its possible that Erdogan shows resistance in participating in another NATO takeover/aggression of "Arab Spring" country, Syria. Or maybe Erdogan just wants a bigger piece of the pie...

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012

Thanks for the link.

Tear gas under the Geneva Convention is characterized as a chemical warfare agent, and so it is precluded for use in warfare, but it is used very frequently against civilians --National Geographic .

When I was younger, I was tear gassed as a demonstrator in the US. While with the US Army, my company employed tear gas to protect our compound in Okinawa on multiple occasions.

Stay safe.
Never forget which way the wind is blowing.

Uno

Last edited:

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Touching article and proof of the non violent nature of the protest, especially the part where the demonstrators are carrying the cop (who was presumably injured by the demonstrators - though, yes, OBVIOUSLY, not necessarily the same ones).