What's going on in TN?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I strongly oppose this action in Tennessee. I don't agree with the representatives actions during the protest, but the only ones that should be able to remove them from office is the people that elected them, unless they are convicted of a serious crime.
LOL

The GOP is doing what cornered rats do — fighting any way they can to stay alive. They are taking radical anti-democratic approaches:

1. in TN expelling democratically elected members,
2. passing insane and likely unconstitutional laws regarding out of state travel for abortions,
3. defending Jan 6 criminals and its mastermind despite a “law and order” platform,
4. lying in outrageous ways over and over and over,
5. attempting to disenfranchise voters who traditionally support the other side (especially the young).

NONE of this wins broader elections because to win elections, you need moderates.

It ensures hardcore radicals who support you in your narrowing world keep doing so rather than turning to an even more radical candidate, yes.

It only works locally and increasingly narrowly because the base is changing.

Emboldened by gerrymandering attracted to extremist perspectives that rely on hurt and damage of the other side, not try and make America ACTUALLY Great again!

But the GOP is dying. And the biggest demographic wave in America is entering their voting years and turning out in droves. And they ain’t voting GOP.

This isn’t a new direction — it’s a last and desperate stand.

In many ways such incredibly extremist tactics are precisely what we should expect and have seen over and over again from despots who are losing a war, not winning one -- like Putin and now his paid agents in the United States!

You know it, I know it.

There’s no doubt this is going to get uglier.

To my point . . . I think AOC is right.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
LOL

The GOP is doing what cornered rats do — fighting any way they can to stay alive. They are taking radical anti-democratic approaches:

2. passing insane and likely unconstitutional laws regarding out of state travel for abortions,
3. defending Jan 6 criminals and its mastermind despite a “law and order” platform,
5. attempting to disenfranchise voters who traditionally support the other side (especially the young).

NONE of this wins broader elections because to win elections, you need moderates.

It ensures hardcore radicals who support you in your narrowing world keep doing so rather than turning to an even more radical candidate, yes.

It only works locally and increasingly narrowly because the base is changing.

Emboldened by gerrymandering attracted to extremist perspectives that rely on hurt and damage of the other side, not try and make America ACTUALLY Great again!

But the GOP is dying. And the biggest demographic wave in America is entering their voting years and turning out in droves. And they ain’t voting GOP.

This isn’t a new direction — it’s a last and desperate stand.

In many ways such incredibly extremist tactics are precisely what we should expect and have seen over and over again from despots who are losing a war, not winning one -- like Putin and now his paid agents in the United States!

You know it, I know it.

There’s no doubt this is going to get uglier.

To my point . . . I think AOC is right.

PC geek doesn't know anything. He would vote for any one of those Republicans and we all know it if he knew it would keep a Democrat out of office. He's never proven otherwise and why anyone would give him the benefit of the doubt now is just obscene to me.

Democrats will never learn if they don't understand what they are up against

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Democrats will never learn if they don't understand what they are up against

Yep I've learned that the hard way..

More than the out and out racists.. there are many who say they're not racist, talk nicely to you but go and drink with the racists but never find the time to have a drink with you!

Dec 10, 2005
If not racist then what was expelling the two black legislators while letting the white woman survive?

If not fascist then what was removing the representation of the districts represented by Justin Jones and Justin Pearson?
Some people here would seemingly refuse to call someone else racist even if they saw the perpetrator dressed as a ghost burning crosses on the lawns of black neighbors' homes.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yep I've learned that the hard way..

More than the out and out racists.. there are many who say they're not racist, talk nicely to you but go and drink with the racists but never find the time to have a drink with you!

100%. And The statement by the White House was weak on this. You need to start calling these people what they are, authoritarian and fascist.

This is about marketing and if you can't call the enemy what they are in polite terms, then you've already lost.

AOC is calling on what they are and so are the kids protesting outside. Why don't we have a president with the same balls? And a party with the same balls?

Who cares if scum like the millions of PC geeks out there are offended? They are what they are and we know it.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
100%. And The statement by the White House was weak on this. You need to start calling these people what they are, authoritarian and fascist.

This is about marketing and you can't call the enemy what they are in polite terms, then you've already lost.

AOC is calling on what they are and so are the kids protesting outside. Why don't we have a president with the same balls? And a party with the same balls?

Who cares if felt like the millions of PC geeks out there are offended? They are what they are and we know it. Like my skin
because they are held to a different standard.

biden and the dems at large would be called "divisive" and "independent" voters might be turned off towards the republican party. who are indeed a bunch of authoritarian fascists.

biden's gotta walk a relatively tight rope to win 2024 still.

Dec 10, 2005
because they are held to a different standard.

biden and the dems at large would be called "divisive" and "independent" voters might be turned off towards the republican party. who are indeed a bunch of authoritarian fascists.

biden's gotta walk a relatively tight rope to win 2024 still.
This. Too many average voters vote on "feels", and calling Republicans out too harshly on their bullshit makes those voters curl up like wilted flowers.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It took 2/3 to expel the black legislators. Are you at least willing to admit 2/3 of them are racists practicing fascism?

How can I know that all 2/3rd of them are racists and practicing fascism. I am not involved in Tenn politics and don't know any of them. A good number of them probably are very racist.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
That two-thirds is pretty much the entire Republican contingent. And he already said he won't consider them that and those are the wrong words to use.

Why do people try to reason with this guy he always pretends to have values and then continues to vote for the party with none and defends the indefensible.

Know your fucking enemy people.

YOU: That two-thirds is pretty much the entire Republican contingent. And he already said he won't consider them that and those are the wrong words to use.

Don't lie about what I said.

YOU:
Why do people try to reason with this guy he always pretends to have values and then continues to vote for the party with none and defends the indefensible.

You have no idea who I vote for other than I voted for Trump twice and voted for Bill Clinton once as I have stated on here many times. One thing for sure is I cannot and did not vote in Tennessee.

I do feel sorry for you and your tortured existence on this planet, among all of us deplorables just freely walking around pulling on your triggers.

Just Sad.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How can I know that all 2/3rd of them are racists and practicing fascism. I am not involved in Tenn politics and don't know any of them. A good number of them probably are very racist.
I was asking due to the fact they expelled 2 black legislators and kept the white woman to make an educated guess.

I apologize if that meant you would might be forced to admit racism is a thing that has real consequences. I won't ask again unless the suspects are wearing white hoods. My educated guess is that still wouldn't be enough for you.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I was asking due to the fact they expelled 2 black legislators and kept the white woman to make an educated guess.

I apologize if that meant you would might be forced to admit racism is a thing that has real consequences. I won't ask again unless the suspects are wearing white hoods. My educated guess is that still wouldn't be enough for you.

I've already stated that a good number are probably very racist. I cannot say it any plainer than that. I also stated that it was odd that she wasn't also expelled, but that was only by one vote.

WTF do you want me to do / say. You know what, it really doesn't matter what I say here. You and MrSquished just rattle on about what I really think and what I really do because I don't agree with the echo chamber in its entirety. While the real truth is you love to spew a load of BS just to make yourselves feel better about your internal bitterness.

I don't need to prove myself to either of you. I say what I think, sorry if it displeases you. Well I should admit that was a lie, I'm not sorry you are displeased by what I say. That is your problem not mine. MrSquished needs an intervention IMO.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
YOU: That two-thirds is pretty much the entire Republican contingent. And he already said he won't consider them that and those are the wrong words to use.

Don't lie about what I said.

YOU:

You have no idea who I vote for other than I voted for Trump twice and voted for Bill Clinton once as I have stated on here many times. One thing for sure is I cannot and did not vote in Tennessee.

I do feel sorry for you and your tortured existence on this planet, among all of us deplorables just freely walking around pulling on your triggers.

Just Sad.

You saw Trump after 4 years and voted him again. That's kind of all we need to know and you still won't call these Republicans what they really are. You don't need to be in Tennessee politics to call them what they are.

Did we have to be Germans to call the Germans fascists when they were? You're full of bullshit excuses to excuse your shitty self.

And this is the case for anything whether it's gun control or here fascism, or any other political topic you always have an excuse.

You are shit your party is shit and if you can't denounce all of these clearly fascist evil Republicans you are the enemy.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have no idea if everyone in this picture is racist. I'm sure some of them are very fine people. Not necessarily a racist event. Could be just a family picnic. Just my opinion not going to try putting 2+2 together.
klu-klux-klan-cross.jpg

For real, if I had to choose sides it would be the anti-them. If society is going to progress having a position of just , "I disagree with them" isn't enough. That's like saying, "I disagree with someone breaking into your house and murdering your family"

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well it seems to me what happened in TN has a lot to do with those conservative legislators being purposefully cloistered away from what's happening across the nation. The powers that be in that state have every intention of being insular and isolationist, especially in the area of traditionally suppressing the black citizens of that state from participating in the governance of same.

They are being in no small way racially anachronistic in order to preserve what should never be preserved: that of seeing themselves as being racially superior in the wake of the changing times where our youth are breaking the racist social barriers their elders would prefer to keep in place. It's a rigid stiffly held ideological system in TN that is crashing headlong into the irrepressable wave of change that is inevitable. Something will have to give. This is where the front line is that those conservative traditionalists have said that line won't ever be crossed. It's a losing strategy and the Republicans in that State know this but can't help thmeselves from committing to.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I have no idea if everyone in this picture is racist. I'm sure some of them are very fine people. Not necessarily a racist event. Could be just a family picnic. Just my opinion not going to try putting 2+2 together.
klu-klux-klan-cross.jpg

For real, if I had to choose sides it would be the anti-them. If society is going to progress having a position of just , "I disagree with them" isn't enough. That's like saying, "I disagree with someone breaking into your house and murdering your family"
Oh man to have a time travel machine and have a flame thrower, too. You know show them an awesome fire trick.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
And in true fashion they're only alienating future voters who may not have decided where they stand on the political spectrum. Or those who consider themselves Republican but aren't too deep into the party like most are. It'll serve as reason to vote Democrat instead.

Cornered rats will try to make a run for it unless you hit them with something to dispose of them. In this case the rat thinks it can fight goliath (the ever changing world releasing itself from right wing behavior) and will attack not realizing it's fucking its chances of survival over.

I welcome this behavior only to show young voters how unhinged and mentally unstable Republican politicians are. Imagine that, taking issue with kids wanting more safety for their beings while attending school. It should never be any child's fear of being shot up while in a safe place such as a school.

Reactions: Pohemi

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Mark my words, be on the lookout for Republicans across the country passing laws that disproportionately make it harder for young people to vote. Esp in colleges and inner cities

Wait how for it
They've been at that for years. In red districts or plain jane red states they require different levels of ID to allow students to vote. It's a strange survival trait among them not realizing their dedicated voting base is slowly aging and dying off. The pandemic did no favors to Republicans.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I kinda hope the Black folks and Black communities across America will finally WAKE-UP after this. Blacks have been lured-in, tricked-in by republicans for years because republicans pretend THEY CARE. And republicans pretend Blacks ARE EQUAL. And republicans pretend the republican party HAS CHANGED and WELCOMING to the Black folks. NONE OF THIS is true.

Republicans ONLY SEEK the Black vote to win elections, then to be done with them. Republicans claim that the democrat party is bad for Blacks, and "uses" Blacks for their advantage, but truth be told the democrat party is the only party for Blacks to chose from. The democrat party is the only party of choice if a Black man or woman doesn't want to be treated like a second class citizen, and treated like an animal by legislators in Tennessee and across red states. While Blacks have been trending over to the republican side, just maybe now they will think twice. Frankly, we should never again see even one Black man or women at a Trump rally or DeSantis rally. Hopefully this will be an awakening for the Black community.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I kinda hope the Black folks and Black communities across America will finally WAKE-UP after this. Blacks have been lured-in, tricked-in by republicans for years because republicans pretend THEY CARE. And republicans pretend Blacks ARE EQUAL. And republicans pretend the republican party HAS CHANGED and WELCOMING to the Black folks. NONE OF THIS is true.

Republicans ONLY SEEK the Black vote to win elections, then to be done with them. Republicans claim that the democrat party is bad for Blacks, and "uses" Blacks for their advantage, but truth be told the democrat party is the only party for Blacks to chose from. The democrat party is the only party of choice if a Black man or woman doesn't want to be treated like a second class citizen, and treated like an animal by legislators in Tennessee and across red states. While Blacks have been trending over to the republican side, just maybe now they will think twice. Frankly, we should never again see even one Black man or women at a Trump rally or DeSantis rally. Hopefully this will be an awakening for the Black community.
Don't forget how they paraded around Diamond and Silk.