What's faster? Seagate 7200.7 200 GB PATA or SATA?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
You will notice no difference between them. They are both going to be exactly the same drive, just with a different connector on the end of them.

The only SATA drives that are faster are the Western Digital Raptors.

Confused

AWhackWhiteBoy

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2004
the 7200.7 drives are ALL IDE,Seagate merely used a simple converter on the SATA models to give a SATA connector.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Confused
You will notice no difference between them. They are both going to be exactly the same drive, just with a different connector on the end of them.

Confused

Is this across all manuf?
For examply a hitachi SATA vs PATA?

THx

oldman420

Platinum Member
May 22, 2004
I would have assumed that most sata drives would by now have a sata interface. I still like IDE and get the same speeds with both.

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Confused

This is not true. A far back as Dec-03 they were saying, "Seagate still offers the only native SATA hard drive technology on the market, with no PATA-to-SATA translator bridge chip that can reduce performance or limit native features." AFAIK, it's impossible to offer a drive with NCQ (Seagate's Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ) as a PATA drive with a bridge chip.

As for performance, since I've only seen SATA drives with a 16 MB cache, that's another reason to consider it over a PATA drive.

theinsen1

Sep 10, 2004
well i was going to ask the same question!!

actually the problem is that i got a a7n8x-x mobo which does not have a onboard sata controller!!

i was going to buy the Seagate 7200.7 200 GB PATA drive but my friend insisted to go for sata
for speed boost and future compatibility.

well what do you people say?
does adopting sata in my situation provide any benifits?
thanks for the answer

ROcHE

Oct 14, 1999
Well in my case I want to use this drive in an overclocked A64 system and I heard that you can have problem with SATA with overclocked FSB parameters.

rrypma

Jan 10, 2004
So, no one knows whether the new 7200.7 native SATA drives outperform their PATA counterparts? Seagate certainly touts theirs as the only non-bridged SATA drive...

deveraux

Mar 21, 2004
Definitely not in any noticeable way. Even PATA connections aren't really maxed out. It is still being limited by the spindle rotation of the internal mechanics for the HDD. So, even you suddenly get a burst of data coming from the HDD (which I really doubt you will), the difference would be in the range of microseconds, which I don't think you'd be able to tell.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
what about to the touting of 150Mb/s over the 100 or 133 for ATA. Isn't SATA2 supposed to be 300Mb/s? I'm pretty sure that if your loading a large stream of info, say for a game or map, that this WILL make a difference. Tru the SEEK times can't be improved w/o increase in rotation, but data transfer should be.
Anyone know for sure?

DragonFire

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AWhackWhiteBoy
the 7200.7 drives are ALL IDE,Seagate merely used a simple converter on the SATA models to give a SATA connector.

Nope! Seagate is the only one that has native SATA drives. WD is the one that took there PATA drives and stuck a convertor on it. Which is rather sad since there raptor drives are the same way.

deveraux

Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
what about to the touting of 150Mb/s over the 100 or 133 for ATA. Isn't SATA2 supposed to be 300Mb/s? I'm pretty sure that if your loading a large stream of info, say for a game or map, that this WILL make a difference. Tru the SEEK times can't be improved w/o increase in rotation, but data transfer should be.
Anyone know for sure?

That's why increasing cache size on the drive help. You try to write a certain amount of data that is transmitted by the cables (IDE/SATA), but it can't write it that fast, so, it stores it on the cache and writes it later. If what you say is true, then there would be no need for ever increasing cache size. And as benchmarks have shown, the 16MB maxtor drives performly noticeably faster than their 8MB counterpart.

DragonFire

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just need a 16MB cache 10,000 rpm SATA drives from all the companies. Im kinda surprised that WD is still the only one with 10K drives.

dtboos

Dec 12, 2004
No noticable performance increases.....yet.

The main reasons SATA is great are: small ass cables, and hotswappable. With my harddrive kits, I no longer have to power down to install a drive, I can stick it in while the comp is running, and backup whatever I need, then take the drive out.