what's causing my lockups?

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
ok, i have an xp1600+ overclocked to xp2100+.

i have a geforce4 ti4200 with stock drivers.

i have had two lockups so far. once playing warcraft 3, and once while running into a tree in motocross mania.

are my lockups caused my by cpu or video card? those are the only two new members in my computer

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
Is the GForce O'Ced?
Often overclocking a CPU will run fine in windows, but playing games puts a lot more stress on the CPU and can really show you that you're overclocked too far.
What's your FSB speed? What is your ram capable of doing? Are you overclocking your AGP too? overclocking your ram?

These are the most common causes of lockups in an O'Ced system.

I'd gradually reduce some of the overclocking until the lockups stop happening. If you spend time tweaking, you can find out how much your system can handle and leave it at that.

Mo

Aug 27, 2002
You just described a question I get asked everyday! First thing to try is reloading drivers, if that don't fix it, complety wipe out your hard drive and reload all software from scratch(almost always fixes this type of problem). If it still does it, try your vid card on another system, if the problem follows the card, the trouble is with your vid card, if the problem doesn't follow the card you could have mobo, mem, or proc problems. (I find that problems of this type are generally mobo, or mem problems.)

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Load in Prime95 and run it for a few hours to test the cpu. When you find a stable speed, loop 3Dmark 2001 for a couple of hours with the video card at stock speed. When you can do this your cpu will be stable, then you can work on overclocking the video card.

If you are overclocking the fsb, lower the multiplier to adjust to stock speed first and see how high you can get. Then go for the max cpu speed.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: lobadobadingdong
You just described a question I get asked everyday! First thing to try is reloading drivers, if that don't fix it, complety wipe out your hard drive and reload all software from scratch(almost always fixes this type of problem). If it still does it, try your vid card on another system, if the problem follows the card, the trouble is with your vid card, if the problem doesn't follow the card you could have mobo, mem, or proc problems. (I find that problems of this type are generally mobo, or mem problems.)
Perhaps he should first try setting his CPU at the default speed...

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
video card has not been overclocked. ive downloaded the latest detonator drivers and still locks up in warcraft 3. i will reboot now, run cpu at stock speed, and see what happens. if it does not fix the problem, then i will format and let you all know what happens.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS