Whats better? (Exercise Question)

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
I want to start working out after work. I will either go to the gym and work out there by lifting some weights and using the exercise bike, or swim some laps in the pool. Now my question is, is it better to come home and eat dinner then go work out. Or is it better to go work out then come home and eat dinner? Any help or advise would be great.

Thanks.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You can't work out as hard as you can if you eat before hand.

Best thing is to eat about 2-3 hours before working out, work out, and then eat afterwards while your metabolism is still cranking from the exercise.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I used to have a big lunch two or three hours before swim practice, a small snack right before then gorge myself at dinner afterwards. Seemed to work for me, I was 6ft, around 140 and had more muscle definition then the guys that just sat around in the weight room.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
On this topic what is better, running or biking?

I absolutely hate running, I hate it with a passion. But i love biking.

Dec 28, 2001
Of those three, I'd go with swimming.

And I'd go with what others are saying - eat beforehand - that way, if you work out hard, it won't be a hinderance . . ..

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Alienwho
On this topic what is better, running or biking?

I absolutely hate running, I hate it with a passion. But i love biking.

Depends on what your goal is.

Running *Can* give you a better workout due to the impact and full use of your body than running. But, at the trade off of extra stress on joints. Biking allows for a very high aerobic workout, but lets you sustain it longer due to lower impact on your body. But, as a tradeoff, you have to do it longer to get the same benefits.

Bottom line is, something is better than nothing, and if biking is what gets you to exercise, then it's better than no exercise because you hate running.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
And I'd go with what others are saying - eat beforehand - that way, if you work out hard, it won't be a hinderance . . ..

You mean eat afterwards?

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Thanks for the help.

I think the best thing for me to do is eat lunch at around 1pm. Then when I get home around 6pm I'll eat a snack, if i'm hungry, then go work out. Then when I get home eat dinner. I'm not looking to bulk up, I just want to lose some weight. I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. Thats a little to big for me. I figure I might as well take care of this problem before it gets worse.

Bignate603:
What kind of exercises did you used to do in your swim practice? It sounds like you had good results. How long was your workout?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also - kudos for you for taking the initiative. Too bad more people (read 50% of the US population) didn't have your same motivation.

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Thanks vi_edit.

Now assuming I actually do what I say, then I will have earned your praise.