Whats ATOTs thoughts on Chiropractors?

Nov 8, 2012
Whats ATOTs thoughts on Chiropractors?

Personally, I don't have back issues - so seeing one is definitely not something that has crossed my mind really.

My wife on the other hand does, and has been getting convinced by some of her fellow coworkers to see a chiropractor. I even had to explain to her that chiropractors are not doctors.

Randomly saw someone on my neighborhood Facebook group ask for recommendations for one, and someone linked one. I decided to read the about section of this random one, and lo and behold, I was wrong! They are doctors! :p

Dr.[Chiropractor] is the owner and clinic director of [named] Chiropractic. He earned his Doctorate of Chiropractic from Texas Chiropractic College. During his studies, he completed a shoulder/elbow orthopedic rotation at All American Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Clinic and also at Rice University with the Athletic department. Dr. [Name] was inducted into the Omega Psi Honor Society, granted the honor of Salutatorian of his graduating class and was a recipient of the prestigious Keeler award for “Outstanding Chiropractic Student”.

I about fell over laughing, do they actually call these legit doctorates? Or am I missing something and chiropractors are legit?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
They are very helpful. Go to a GP with back pain and they will prescribe you pain killers. Go to a Chiropractor with back pain and they will adjust your back into alignment and solve the problem, rather than just treating symptoms.

Reactions: highland145

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Paging Dr. Eits...

As long as you don't buy into the whole "Chiropractic can fix/cure ANYTHING" bullshit, IMO, chiropractic care can be helpful.

Chiros kept me working for 25 years...until my chiro told me I had finally FUBAR'D my back to the point where he felt he couldn't help me any more, and referred me to a neurosurgeon.

Nov 8, 2012
They are very helpful. Go to a GP with back pain and they will prescribe you pain killers. Go to a Chiropractor with back pain and they will adjust your back into alignment and solve the problem, rather than just treating symptoms.

Supposedly from what I recall reading everything is simply the placebo effect. Feel free to show me otherwise though, I'm just a 3rd party as someone that doesn't need back-pain treatment.

Also if you have to keep seeing the chiropractor, that isn't fixing the problem.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You already made up your mind and nothing anyone tells you is going to change it. The only thing that could possibly change your mind is your own personal experience. Anything others say will be twisted and altered to fit your own perception. So it doesn't matter what anyone says. So this is pointless thread.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
As a lifetime Mason with intermittent back pain/ sciatica, I can safely say that chiropractic works. I personally didnt like the table that drops and the neck cracking. Eventually found a Chiro that used a small device to knock the vertibrai into place, along with pushing to even out the legs worked wonders. Eventually, the wife was/is able to fix me with with I watched the Chiro do.
It beats the hell out of taking NASIDs for days weeks and the problems they cause.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Supposedly from what I recall reading everything is simply the placebo effect. Feel free to show me otherwise though, I'm just a 3rd party as someone that doesn't need back-pain treatment.

Also if you have to keep seeing the chiropractor, that isn't fixing the problem.
See post #5.

Nov 8, 2012
You already made up your mind and nothing anyone tells you is going to change it. The only thing that could possibly change your mind is your own personal experience. Anything others say will be twisted and altered to fit your own perception. So it doesn't matter what anyone says. So this is pointless thread.

That's incredibly moronically stupid logic. Everyone has an opinion in life on any subject that they have ever been introduced to. That doesn't mean a discussion can't be had - and it doesn't mean opinions can't change.

Seeing thus far how so many are advocating for it makes me more likely to tell the wife to give it a shot.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Maybe? I've had days where it feels like I slept on it crooked or something - but it always resolves the next day after a night of sleep.
Mine will last a week. Screw that. Chiro adjusts it, still a little tender but otherwise fixed. $42. Money well spent.

And it depends on what's wrong with the wife's back. Bulging disc, heck no. Neck pain, I hear divorce works. ;)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, sure, there are places that will sell questionable doctorates.
I don't have any direct experience with going to one myself, but the people I've known that go to them semi-regularly seem to feel it's helpful.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Mine will last a week. Screw that. Chiro adjusts it, still a little tender but otherwise fixed. $42. Money well spent.

And it depends on what's wrong with the wife's back. Bulging disc, heck no. Neck pain, I hear divorce works. ;)
Divorce only "adjusts" your wallet...

• Haha

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Chiropractors are in the same line as massage therapist. They make you feel better for a bit but don't solve the underlying problems which require muscle strengthening, stretching and changes to your routine or surgery in extreme cases(although don't trust a surgeon without second opinions either as they want to operate on everyone).

Reactions: Train and Captante

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
5-myths-about-chiropractic-care-infographic__1200.png

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
5-myths-about-chiropractic-care-infographic__1200.png

"Chiropractors are statistically safer than spine surgery" made me laugh pretty hard.

Here is how you fix back pain: Lose the gut, stretch and strengthen your core.

99.9% of problems solved that don't require surgery.

Having someone pop things makes you feel good, but if you have to go back again then the issue wasn't resolved and having it adjusted again is just temporary relief.

The entire profession is based on pseudoscience, but they have a very powerful and wealthy political lobby group.

Reactions: Train

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Chiropractors are statistically safer than spine surgery" made me laugh pretty hard.

Here is how you fix back pain: Lose the gut, stretch and strengthen your core.

99.9% of problems solved that don't require surgery.

Having someone pop things makes you feel good, but if you have to go back again then the issue wasn't resolved and having it adjusted again is just temporary relief.

The entire profession is based on pseudoscience, but they have a very powerful and wealthy political lobby group.
I've definitely noticed as I come up on two years of doing planks on a regular basis (and losing weight) my back rarely bothers me anymore. Even after moving this year, which entailed loading/unloading two houses worth of stuff.

Edit: And as a side effect, I have some ab definition for the first time in my life :oops:

Reactions: BudAshes

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Chiropractors are in the same line as massage therapist. They make you feel better for a bit but don't solve the underlying problems which require muscle strengthening, stretching and changes to your routine or surgery in extreme cases(although don't trust a surgeon without second opinions either as they want to operate on everyone).

Frankly I've tried both for my neck pain and had far better results from a professional massage. (no not the happy-ending kind)

Problem is neither one is a cure and relief is often temporary ... if you stop going most of the time the pain comes back.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Paging Dr. Eits...

As long as you don't buy into the whole "Chiropractic can fix/cure ANYTHING" bullshit, IMO, chiropractic care can be helpful.

Chiros kept me working for 25 years...until my chiro told me I had finally FUBAR'D my back to the point where he felt he couldn't help me any more, and referred me to a neurosurgeon.
@eits

Last seen Aug 17, 2020 :(

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
If your back hurts, see a Doctor of PT first. He won't give you instant or magical fixes like a Chiro will, but he will set you on a path to actually addressing the real problem.

Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i call shens on chiro

but then again i've never gotten it done, mainly because i know people who swear that it cures everything

AND YET they seem to go back to their chiro every couple weeks for life
jZGgghi.png

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
The very idea of having someone try to "adjust" my back vertebra makes me cringe! I'd have to have exhausted all other options before resorting to a chiropractor.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
It works for me but not until i tried the 3rd one. He actually does something that works. I go usually 4 times a year.

My previous DR. told me to just take a bunch of Tylenol.

I'll have a chat with my new Dr. about this & see if he thinks PT is a better option.
BTW, i have a pinched nerve... that's what acts up.