Whats a website that sells computer desks? I'm interested in purchasing one to replace this crappy TV stand I'm using.

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
everytime i use the computer i got to lay down and type on the carpet, the monitor is on the TV stand, its sad really. :(

I've been to OfficeDepot, found 1 that I might like, and staples, but staples is one f*cked up site, I thought I was looking at a $100 desk, but i found out it was only a printer stand but the f*cking site said it was a desk, too misleading, I'm going to drop by the local staples to check it out myself, but till then, what other websites might have nice desks? I might get my dad to order online. Hopefully shipping will be free, cuz its going to be one heavy piece of wood ;)

Apr 5, 2000
Staples is evil........

I would never buy a desk without sitting at it first. It might look great in a catalog/picture, but if it just sucks @$$ ergonomically, or you just dont like it, then you're screwed. (I've sold furniture for a year and a half and thats the number one thing I tell customers - make sure its comfortable for you - who cares what it looks like if you're not going to like working on it)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I went to home depot and bought 6 conder blocks and a 7 foot piece of counter top. Works great, cheap, and easy to assemble :)

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
RB, did you work at Staples? ;)

This one looks pretty nice. The legs looks like its adjustable, I got to find a OD near me so I can check it out myself.

RB, also, doesn't the ergonimigally (you know what i mean ;) do you?) depend on the chair? I'm going to receive my dad's chair, he's gettinga new one, i like the feel of it, but its only because i'm sitting on it, not really doing anything with it. I probably won't buy it online then

btw, i love building stuff, especially desks and computers :)

Apr 5, 2000
Alpha - nope but when you work at one of their competitors its natural to hate em. :D

For your second question, yes and no. No depending on how tall the desk part is. (30" is standard I believe so it should be fine) And some people like having their KB trays wide enough to accomdate their mouse. (I like having my mouse on the desk as opposed to right next to my kb) Mostly its personal preference - some people like having a wide desk area so they can fit their computer case, speakers, printer, monitor, scanner, and other odds and entities all on the desktop, where some only want the monitor on it, and the case, printer, scanner everywhere else. A good chair is a key to working a long time at your computer too. (I've found that with this chair I bought half a year ago - leather full back that tilts - that I can do work more comfortably and for longer periods of time than my old regular office chair, which couldnt lean back and had no ergonomic back)

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
I just want an elevated monitor stand, have the computer to the side off the top of the desk, because I'll be doing mostly school work than use the computer, I have the natural keyboard, but its not much differnt. THe desk i had a while back with my old comp had a keyboard drawer and no room for the mouse, but i never played game back then, i found it normal to have both the keybaord and mouse "conected" to each other. I'm considering now just to get one of those foldalble tables and install a keybaord drawer, i'd find that the cheapest, most spacious top, and simple way to go, but it wouldn't match my room ;)

oh yeah, isn't IKEA some hippy furniture store? I remember browsing through the huge ass catalog they use to send to my mom, maybe i should check them out again ;)

loogie

Banned
Oct 18, 1999
YES!!! I thought i was the only one on the floor. It sucks mang...but it has really cut down on the gaming since I get uncomfortable.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
I second the vote for Ikea. They have very reasonable prices and in general I like their designs. However most people probably dont live too close to one. If you want to find some good used furniture, check out businesses that are going bankrupt. My friend got an awesome red wood table, desk, and hanging bulletin board for $100 from a dot com that went out of business. Or find some auctions in the area. You can find great deals on really nice chairs and desks there, just make sure you got the vehicle to transport it.

--Ben