Whats a reliable laptop brand nowadays?

l Thomas l

Nov 29, 2005
Im looking to buy a laptop during this week of sales, and I wanted to know what you guys would suggest in terms of brands. I used to think reliability was all based on the user, but not anymore. My dell died on me (I think just the power supply) and I have never had a computer just stop working on me like that.

So what brands do you suggest? Im open to any deals, I just want the newer Intel cpu, 4gb of ram or more, 4usb ports, and a reliable laptop

The laptop will be used strictly for DJing with Serato, maybe recording people with Pro Tools too. I will definitely use it to record myself with Pro Tools while running Serato. Thats the only reason Im upgrading really, for better performance while recording. The laptop will never go online.

Last edited:

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
I've used Lenovo (IMB Thinkpad) laptops for myself and family exclusively for the past few years. Great build quality, durability, stability, and components. Not the best for gaming (just don't have the available hardware), but great for everything else. They cost a little more than Dells though, but you get what you pay for.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I avoid generalizing about brands - prefer to focus on models or series within a brand. Every brand has eagles and turkeys. My last two notebooks have been Lenovo, but the "T" series. They have been rock solid for me. Best reliability is usually found in the business models.

stevech

Jul 18, 2010
I avoid generalizing about brands - prefer to focus on models or series within a brand. Every brand has eagles and turkeys. My last two notebooks have been Lenovo, but the "T" series. They have been rock solid for me. Best reliability is usually found in the business models.
Agree mostly... exceptions include ECS, eMachines, HP (-)
In other spaces: D-Link (-)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I agree that models seem to be more important than brands anymore. You can get good or bad from pretty much all of them. Lenovo T models are still tanks for reliability, but higher end Dells are also surprisingly solid.

Check reviews and don't cheap out

stevech

Jul 18, 2010
A friend just bought a Toshiba laptop at (barf) Best Buy. Came with Win 8.
First time I've had a chance to play with Win 8 on a PC for a few private hours.
I says hours, plural, to allow time to get past the initial "it's different" reaction.

Sadly, Win 8 on a laptop (PC too?) is just totally unacceptable. It will raise your blood pressure and cause use to curse.

Amazingly, BestBuy accepted the returned laptop gave full credit back. Friend bought a low cost Lenovo tower desktop w/Win7.

Last edited:

Zukatah_

Jun 21, 2010
It's tough to generalize but I try to go with the business models as much as possible. Not all the flashiness in the world but it gets the job done.

nforce4max

Oct 5, 2012
What ever it is if it has a reputation for people doing a lot of diy repairs then buyer beware. Toshiba is terrible, needs small hands for repairs and HP is ok documentation wise but build quality is poor. Acer I am not sure but once again if there is a lot of diy posted online for that model or brand then buyer beware.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
The Thinkpad T430 have very noisy fan that comes on above 41 degree and Lenovo IS ignoring all the complains.
Keep that in mind if you are considering a Thinkpad.

Last edited:

nataku00

Dec 5, 2004
I'll echo the Lenovo praise. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 that I purchased for personal use and now have a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 provided by IT for work recently. Just really solidly built and functional laptops.

cambion

Nov 29, 2012
The Thinkpad T430 have very noisy fan that comes on above 41 degree and Lenovo is not ignoring all the complains.

You mean *IS* ignoring.

Yea, the T430 fan issue is not insignificant.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
The Thinkpad T430 have very noisy fan that comes on above 41 degree and Lenovo is not ignoring all the complains.

Just purchased a T430 a couple weeks ago, I have no such issue. Not saying it isn't a problem on SOME T430, but not all. My T430 is basically silent.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Apple, Samsung, Lenovo. Pick from those 3 and you'll generally be fine.

I pick Samsung more often than not.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
Just purchased a T430 a couple weeks ago, I have no such issue. Not saying it isn't a problem on SOME T430, but not all. My T430 is basically silent.

Try it in a quiet room and run some program to make the fan spin.
Minimum fan speed on the T430 is 3400 rpm and it sounds like a jet engine!

Aug 11, 2008
A friend just bought a Toshiba laptop at (barf) Best Buy. Came with Win 8.
First time I've had a chance to play with Win 8 on a PC for a few private hours.
I says hours, plural, to allow time to get past the initial "it's different" reaction.

Sadly, Win 8 on a laptop (PC too?) is just totally unacceptable. It will raise your blood pressure and cause use to curse.

Amazingly, BestBuy accepted the returned laptop gave full credit back. Friend bought a low cost Lenovo tower desktop w/Win7.

Did the laptop have a touch screen? Just curious why you thought win 8 was so terrible. It seems well suited for laptops if you have a touch screen. If not I would prefer win7 but win8 doesn't seem that bad.

Edit. As to the original question, I have had good luck with an Asus gaining laptop for my own use, and the business model dells we have at my job seem reliable. Have only had 2 HPs and both had problems.

Last edited:

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Try it in a quiet room and run some program to make the fan spin.
Minimum fan speed on the T430 is 3400 rpm and it sounds like a jet engine!

Beg to differ...only use it in a quiet room...have had no issues with sound, and I'm fairly picky about it. This issue does not appear to affect all T430s as others have posted no issues as well. Not discounting problems of others at all, just have no such issue with mine, even under stress.