What's a good topic for a 7 minute persuasive speech?

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Right now I need to think of a good topic that could make a 7 minute persuasive speech. The topic has to be localized (as in specific, and not a big general topic), so therefore not choosing "global warming" or what not... The topic also should at least try not to be cliche or trite...

Right now I'm thinking about the abuses of ADD medication, but I'm not sure what kind of purpose I would convey to my audience persuasively except for "Drugs are bad... mmk."

If you all could chime in on a topic, that'd be great. :)

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Where are you?

You can always make a speech on the declining dollar and how we need to invade Canada to resume balance of the world.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
I know a topic that would make for a kick-ass 6 minute persuasive speech. 7 minutes, however, and it rapidly loses its effectiveness. Sorry!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Abortion, of course.

You're in Seattle. Try to sell the audience on the superior design/build of the new Airbus over that hunk of Boeing carbon-clad vaporware.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwing
Abortion, of course.

You're in Seattle. Try to sell the audience on the superior design/build of the new Airbus over that hunk of Boeing carbon-clad vaporware.

Doesn't have to be Seattle :laugh:
Gotta love Boeing.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Try to persuade folks that Mount Rainier is going to blow any minute now and that it will have positive impacts on the housing market. Use the New Orleans example to prove your point. Rents in NO are much higher now than pre-Katrina.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Pick the hottest girl in the class and in 7min persuade her to go out with you. If you pull it off it's a sure A, and you get a date:light:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
do it about something you know alot about. masturbation, and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Oct 25, 2006
Prove that the plane takes off / .999 = 1

Or

How we can solve all world problems by nuking the moon

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Aren't speaking classes fun?
Ick.

My persuasive speech was to be yesterday (the benefits of pure science, as it relates to NASA), but the college was closed due to a power outage caused by a sudden snow/ice/sleet storm. New time is tomorrow. Yay. 8 minutes long, with minimal notes.

You could always be Sexual Harassment Panda.

Or Google for "speech topics."

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
Pick the hottest girl in the class and in 7min persuade her to go out with you. If you pull it off it's a sure A, and you get a date:light:

LOL :D But he's going to have to be REALLY persuasive ;)

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwing
Try to persuade folks that Mount Rainier is going to blow any minute now and that it will have positive impacts on the housing market. Use the New Orleans example to prove your point. Rents in NO are much higher now than pre-Katrina.

Wouldn't it be more likely that Mount St. Helens would be more likely to blow?...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: michaels
I took my Oral Comm. class online, it was great
How the heck did that work? Give speeches to a webcam? Or was it a "theory" type course?