whats a good refrigerator to get ?

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I wanna get my Mom a new refrigerator, but dunno what a good one to get.

That side of her kitchen has no water pipes, so an ice maker is not necessary.

Its gotta fit in a space under the cabinets, but thats a standard size.

How much is a decent one? I should be able to get a nice one for like $500-600, right?

I'd also like to get her an energy efficient model too. Thanks a lot !

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
consumer reports has some good info, but much of it is on their subscriber site
you could go to the library and read it for free

here are some links to a few of the free pages

Buying advice

Features

good luck, if you have Lowes in your area , most of them sell appliances

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I was told that Whirlpool is the best brand, with GE a close second. We bought a new GE fridge months ago when Best Buy was having 15% off all appliances, and a free shipping coupon offer as well. The best deal is if you can score a clearance unit at Lowe's but when we shopped there, they only had horribly damaged floor models on clearance. If you wanted a new unit, they could order it for you at the regular retail price (which is actually higher than prevalent, competitive prices).

For $600, you'll get a budget, mid-range model, probably around 21 cubic feet or so. While doing research, I read that energy efficient models of today consume about half the electricity of refrigerators from 15 years ago. So you'll recoup the investment within a decade, if you live in a high energy cost state such as CA.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Costco B&M has a nice GE and a Kirkland for $449 and $549, I think the difference was size.

Check your local Lowe's, Home Depot and Sears.

With a price range of only $500-$600, you don't have that many options.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
A freezer on the bottom is something to consider. I have had 2 and really like them. I mean if you think about how often do you get in the freezer vs. the fridge?

We had to get a new one because we installed a wood floor in the kitchen which closed the gap under our cabinets. Went to sears and picked one up
for around $600 . The only company to make these is Amana which sell them uner thier own label and they also manufacture them for sears using the Kenmore name but they are both the same really.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Wheezer
A freezer on the bottom is something to consider. I have had 2 and really like them. I mean if you think about how often do you get in the freezer vs. the fridge?

We had to get a new one because we installed a wood floor in the kitchen which closed the gap under our cabinets. Went to sears and picked one up
for around $600 . The only company to make these is Amana which sell them uner thier own label and they also manufacture them for sears using the Kenmore name but they are both the same really.

wow never seen one of those...i'm partial to the vertically split ones....i'd go with a GE, i like their models a lot, although i dont know about dependability...

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
We just got a Kenmore on sale and the 10% just before Christmas. They are rated high by comsumers.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'd go with Maytag. We've had one running fine for the past 10 years. I would recommend getting it directly from a Maytag store so you get personalized service in case something goes wrong.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vespasian
Originally posted by: Tominator
Maytag is POS....:disgust:
Not really. They make Jenn-Air refrigerators, which are arguably better than Sub-Zero refrigerators.

I bought the top of the line! 29 Cubic Feet! It is only three years old. I bet I've spent $300 just in service calls and I bought the extended warranty!

Maytag cannot even supply parts for the POS! We went near 9 months without an icemaker waiting on parts. Problem after problem.

I have a washer, dryer, microwave and stove...not to mention this POS frig, all Maytag. I will never buy another Maytag appliance.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Thanks for the help and comments, I will probably not look at MayTags.

What about scratched units in deal warehouses? NE1 have any experience buying one like this?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Today's Sears ad has a nice Kenmore with freezer on bottom on sale for only $649.

There's also another fridge on sale for $449.

Sears.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
We have a Kenmore elite, and its great, but I think it was $1500, but kenmore makes good refrigerators.