whats a good margarita recipe??

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
planning to make it to serve some friends on the rocks with salt. what is your best recipe? is it sweet? sour? bitter? my goal is to not have one that is too much of one.

p.s, also, one of my friends told me that he drank a margarita that was lightly frozen on the top surface, so as you drink, the top layer slowly melts.....is that possible?? how??

also, what is the best way to salt the rims. do you just rub the rim with lime and then dip in salt? will it stay in the rim for a long time? do I need to put in the refridge or freezer after that??

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
1/2 shot either triple sec or grand marnier
1 shot of fresh lime juice
1 1/2 shot of good blanco tequila

salt the rim, serve over ice

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I don't use margarita mix. I make it with the frozen limeade concentrate. It's pretty damn sour unless you let the ice melt a bit.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

you can also use that sweetened lime juice...pretty good stuff, but triple sec is good also...a little orangy though...

jC

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Chunkee

you can also use that sweetened lime juice...pretty good stuff, but triple sec is good also...a little orangy though...

jC

Sweetened lime juice is crap. You need a sour element to balance the sweet triple sec or grand marnier. If you use sweet and sweet it's noty anything like a real margarita.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005

Yup, they sell rim salters too (not really sure what they're called). It's a circular dish with a sponge in it. Soak the sponge in lime juice, press glass against sponge, put glass in salt, done.