Whats a good inexpensive modem??

Qualitat

Jan 30, 2000

:confused:

There are no more modem reviews that I can find. Have been
using a 56k isa Best modem with excellent results. My new
computer will not have an isa only pci. I hear I should only
get a hardware modem. I have thoughts of networking my new computer to my old one but assume it would slow things down as the old is a pentium mmx200 on a tx97. Thoughts? New machine will be a thunderbird 800.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The lucent based PCI winmodems offer a pretty good bang for the buck, you can nab one for around $20 or so. If you are looking for a hardware PCI modem, 3Com makes a gaming modem with a controller onboard, it goes for about $55 or so on the 'net.

When you say networking the two, are you talking about doing some internet sharing, file sharing, print sharing, gaming, ect?

Even though your older machine is slower, it really won't slow down performance so to speak. Of course, if two people are browsing the net at the same time, your bandwith will be halved and web browsing will be slower. But, as far as networking the two, your new machine won't be slowed down because of the older one.

Qualitat

Jan 30, 2000
I'm talking about networking at home. Using the old machine remotely in another room to log on to the net while actually siting elsewhere using the new machine.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
Today I picked up a USRobotics 56k Performance Pro Modem. It is PCI but has it's own built in controller. This means it doesn't run off the CPU. Similar to ISA modems but made for PCI. It works great. I connected faster today than ever before. I had a USR 56k ISA modem which I put in my second system (for the kids). I tried a Zoom usb and then a creative ISA over the last several days. Both modems worked for crap. My phone line has been "paired" which means it was split in two because of a second line addition. This was done without my knowledge and the phone company will not fix it. As a result my internet speed went from 50,000 consistently to 28,800. The old USR ISA connects on this line at 28,800 and the new PCI one connects at 31,200. It cost $79.00 which is OK for reliable internet.