What's a good hourly wage?

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
The job is installing small business networks, configuring hardware, setting up/imaging computers and printers.

What is a good hourly wage for this sort of job function, e.g. service technician?

This is simply for research purposes.

edited for grammatical error.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
$30+/hr if you've got previous work experience. $15-20/hr if youre just starting out.

multiply your hourly salary by 2,000 to get your yearly salarly, that's roughly how many hours you will work in a year if you're working 40 hour weeks.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: junkerman123
$30+/hr if you've got previous work experience. $15-20/hr if youre just starting out.

$30/hour for a basic techie? I think you're being extremely generous with this number.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

$30/hour for a basic techie? I think you're being extremely generous with this number.

To say the least.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Sentinel
I was thinking around $15 to $20 personally.

Depends on your area.

You'll hit the upper range of that in higher cost of living areas (NYC, Cali, etc). In areas around colleges, you'll be lucky to get $10-12 for a position like that.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Greatly depends on the area. Where I live, the majority of crap jobs like grocery stores, cashiers, and fast food workers make minimum wage (5.15/hr) or slightly higher. I feel very lucky to have a co-op making $14.50/hr. I would say a tech doing a job like you described would get $8-10/hr around here, maybe $15/hr with experience. Yet in large cities and other areas, most crap jobs like fast food pay $8-9+/hr, so I would estimate something more along the lines of junkerman's pay range for a tech.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ

It's generous, but a small business, like a small law firm or accounting firm, will generally hire one very experienced IT person to set up and support their network and computers. If you have the experience and connections to get that kind of job, it will usually pay that much or more. I didn't know what level of experience OP had.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Position in question is maintaining a region of businesses, 1 technician/region of about 30 or so. Trying to land a job after graduating college.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Run "computer technician" through www.salary.com for your area. Nationwide, the median is $41,090 per year, which is roughly $20.55 per hour.

However, locally, it could vary by quite a bit. You could easilly get half of that in some towns and probably almost 50% more than that in others.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
As a computer tech myself, I get paid $20/hr to do the jobs you've mentioned. I make about 42k/yearly.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard
Run "computer technician" through www.salary.com for your area....

I think I need a degree in "navigating crappy interfaces" to be able to figure out where in the hell you got that number on that site.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
The job is installing small business networks, configuring hardware, setting up/imaging computers and printers in new businesses & providing tech support to those businesses in a region of about 30 or so (give or take).

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
I think I need a degree in "navigating crappy interfaces" to be able to figure out where in the hell you got that number on that site.
Ah, just your luck. I personally have a master's degree in navigating crappy inferfaces, or NCI as we usually call it.

[*]Step 1, click on the link to salary.com.

[*]Step 2, enter "computer technician" as told in previous post. Notice the blank zip code to get nationwide data instead of local data (to make the post more relevant to more ATOT readers). Notice the "Search" button; click on it.

[*]Step 3, read the descriptions and see that this sounds like "Computer Technican I". Also note that we are interested in data for employees, not employers. Finally notice there is a free report. Click as shown here.

[*]Step 4, note the two places data appears.

That'll be $20 for my NCI time. I accept Monopoly paper money only.