What's a good basic camera for self portraits?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
What's a good cheaper camera that lets you view yourself taking your own picture. Flip LCD and the like.

The MV800/MV900 look interesting with the big LCD panels.

I use my iPhone, but the images don't come out great inside.

Thanks

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have a camera, I am looking for a camera suited so you can take your picture yourself, esp overhead and off a mirror from behind (body shots).

The S95 and SD780 I have do a good job, but I can't see what I am shooting...These are technically my wife's cameras so I don't want to start using gifts I bought her. ;)

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Not sure what you're asking I guess. You are taking pictures of the back of your body?

How about a tripod and a remote shutter release to go along with your camera?

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best. Just have your wife take the pictures.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Not sure what you're asking I guess. You are taking pictures of the back of your body?

How about a tripod and a remote shutter release to go along with your camera?

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best. Just have your wife take the pictures.

This is not what I am asking. I am looking for specific recommendations.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
The best you could do is any camera that allows 'tethered' shooting - ie, allows you to connect your camera to a laptop and you'd be able to see the preview on it's screen before you shoot. All the latest DSLRs would allow that, but not sure of any PnS that does.

<thinking a bit more> : another option is an external (ie, not integrated with a laptop or such) webcam camera - attach it to your computer, but position the camera itself at a distance - and preview your self portrait before clicking.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
guys, the focus is low cost cameras with tilting LCDs. If you have experience with a good one let me know. The MV800 looks decent for this. I don't know if there is a better bang for buck around $150 or less.

These are going to be snapshots, not works of art. No need for elaborate setups.

They are all great recommendations, but beyond the scope of what I am looking for.

Key things I need are decent low light performance (not night time, but low-light indoors to medium light), a screen that will allow me to see the shot when the camera is above me and facing behind me and low cost (<$150 unless going to up to a max of $250 makes sense).

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
Wouldn't the mv800 be better at the same price point?

Up to you.

You really need to be in the $500 range for better options. I imagine all the sub $200 options will give you about the same results, with only the ergonomics making any difference.

Last edited:

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
I don't even think the mv800 would work ideally as I'd like to be looking up at the LCD.

Any swivel lcds at the low price point even used

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for at your price point. If you do, share it with the rest of us.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I don't think you'll find what you're looking for at your price point. If you do, share it with the rest of us.

I trust your recommendations, what's the next step up to consider? I am not adverted to spending the money, but I was also looking at getting a nice P&S around Christmas for myself for keepsake duties.

If that MV800 would rotate it would work, the other option is to photograph upside down and correct after the fact.