What's a good AM3 CPU match for a GT240?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Rebuilding sig rig for cheap... Should be at leaast 2X faster that n what I have now...

What sort of CPU would be a good match? Thinking AMD 1045T or 1090T...???

Will that work? PC is for old flight simulators which are predominately CPU biased...

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Rebuilding sig rig for cheap... Should be at leaast 2X faster that n what I have now...

Will that work? PC is for old flight simulators which are predominately CPU biased...

as far as I know FS doesn't use 6 cores, you should aim for high clock... so try some X4 C3 (955, 965) and overclock it...

mike2012

Nov 24, 2012
this post is for caveman. I am new user of this forum and I cannot send private messages nor create a post yet. I apologize to pick this post to share my info but I was not sure how else to reach you:

I have same problem you described back on January 22, 2010 with your Honda Odyssey.

mine is model year 2000 with 164K miles. the transmission was rebuilt 18 months ago at 141K miles.

the "clunk" noise appeared in Nov 2011 when cold in the morning and I change gear from Parking to Reverse. the "clunk" does not happen when I put it back on Parking and try again and it does not happen during warm weather.

if I warm up the car for 3+ minutes in the morning, No clunk sound when shifting from Parking to Reverse.

Now, in Nov 2012, it appeared again since it's almost winter.

any input or feedback you can share about your experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

++++

mike2012

Nov 24, 2012
the car is with the shop where they rebuilt the transmission. I am concerned about some new update from the mechanic with more bad news...

I am trying to know what can be the problem since I spent a lot of money on it 18 months ago and if I should be concerned about more problems from this clunk noise. I drove it for one year so far and it's still running...

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Perhaps a chip like the fx 4170 could work out well,high stock clock rate and its currently $120 on newegg,or maybe the x4 965 at $100.

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
I think that regardless of the GPU choice, I would personally shoot for a phenom too. You said AM3, not AM3+... I cannot recommend personally any of the 8 core models that AMD has at 200$ range when you get a 3570k for about the same price...

I had a 965 BE x4 for a year, and it served me well. It wowed me speed wise when I bought it.

It still outperforms most of the newer chips AMD puts out in the gaming benchmarks.

IMHO in the 100 dollar CPU range, you cannot go wrong with 965 BE.

Just curious, what are you running now?