Whatever happened to Tom Petty??

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Growing up in the late 80s and early 90s I remember he was huge. We used to listen to him all the time and then all of the sudden in the mid 90s he just seemed to fade completely away. He had some truly great songs IMO, was one of the kings of video on MTV (back when MTV actually played videos most of the time) and yet I hardly ever hear him get any play on the radio these days, even on classic rock stations. I realize he's pretty old now but then again so is Aerosmith, the Stones, Clapton, etc. yet they still seem to be kicking along and get a lot of publicity. I'm assuming he's still cranking out albums, it just seems I don't ever hear about them. Not many good web sites on him either. Is he still alive?

Tangerine

Jul 25, 2001
Nothing happened to him, he gets played on the radio here (Chicago WLUP)
And he usually puts out an album every year or 2. The last one was Echo with one of my newer favorite Tom Petty songs - Billy the Kid on it

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Tom petty rocks!!! One of the best artists to come out of Gainesville, FL!!

And yea, hes still alive and well. :D

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I guess I should've phrased that last line a little better. I was fairly certain he's still alive. I just meant "alive" in the muscial sense. But glad to see he's doing fine both ways :)

I didn't realize he was from Gainesville. I knew he was from down south. I was thinking Georgia for some reason.

I was just wondering because now that it's getting to be summer time, it's time to crank out the happier, easy going music like Tom Petty. Full Moon Fever was virtually the ONLY thing we listened to when I was at the beach for a month one summer. Ahhh . . . memories.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
He may be alive, but he's not aging well. Give him a couple years and he'll look like a blond Keith Richards...

BTW the "Don't Come 'Round Here No More" video is one of the best videos ever :D

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Parrotheader
I guess I should've phrased that last line a little better. I was fairly certain he's still alive. I just meant "alive" in the muscial sense. But glad to see he's doing fine both ways :)

I didn't realize he was from Gainesville. I knew he was from down south. I was thinking Georgia for some reason.

I was just wondering because now that it's getting to be summer time, it's time to crank out the happier, easy going music like Tom Petty. Full Moon Fever was virtually the ONLY thing we listened to when I was at the beach for a month one summer. Ahhh . . . memories.

The song American Girl is actually about a girl jumping off one of the dorms on the University of Florida campus, Beaty Towers.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
** OFFICIAL ** Tom Petty is the ugliest person on the face of the planet! ** CONFIRMED **