Whatever happened to Dominican Republic? Isn't it located on the same island Haiti?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
last night I red something interesting about Dominica and Haiti, air picture showed the border with Haiti and Dominica no trees in Haiti side , Dominica is green like Cuba and P Rico. The mountain blocks the rain from the East and the Haiti soil is very thin like dust, however Dominica is very good for planting. I was in P Rico last year and I saw a LOT of produce from Dominica and none from Haiti. 2 cents
Haitians because of being poor, have denuded many of their forests in an attempt to make charcol. This has then screwed up the farmland (runoff and mudslides).
Endless circle

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I have been watching Haiti coverage for days now ans there is something that really puzzle me. Whatever happen to Dominican Republic and how come news agency didn't even mention a word of it? Isn't it the country that is located on the SAME island as Haiti? Even if Dominican Republic was not badly damage by the earthquake, shouldn't the news agency, at the very least, made a mention that Dominican Republic is safe and sound?

All I can see is Liberal bias toward Haiti, one of the poorest country in the world.

All you can see is Liberal bias, because that's all you want to see.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Here's a rumor we can start:
Obama may decide to allow Haiti to vote to become the 51st U.S. State. Then allow unlimited immigration from there to the U.S. mainland. Kind of a "spread the misery around" plan.
Where's Obama's birth certificate, anyway? The original, doctor signed, embossed seal version. Not the computer printed 2008 version.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks for that lesson, there might be some 5 year olds browsing ATOT that didn't already know this.

frankly i thought it was the most intelligent post he's ever made. not one made-up 'fact' in it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
DR is not exactly popular among Haitians & West after Rafael Trujillo slaughtered tens of thousands and DR has a general polciy of a good Haitian is a dead Haitian.

Look up : Antihaitianismo