What Z87 Will Come Close to an Asus X79 Revised Deluxe build

GBAK-MARS

Apr 17, 2014
We are going back overseas. To Nepal where the average income for a family of 8 is less than $200 a year. For a while it looked like I might stay here in the states and work on Video/Photo media productions focusing on Nepal.

I have to make some changes and my 2 X79 Asus Revised Deluxe builds are more processing power than I could even find quality electrical power for! I am leaning towards selling off every new component and going with one smaller Z87 build. I finally had decided that I had a clear path to a legit build with the new 4930K and an Areca Raid Card which would supplement the X79's failure to provide native SATA III/SAS II ports.

Saying good bye to those builds leaves me asking: what is recommended for a Z87? Reliability is of the utmost importance as PC repair in Nepal isn't an attractive option in the event of failure. I will need to have some of the rendering power of the PC's that I will part out.

Any suggestions are welcome. How about the Asus Z87 WS?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think I understand -- or can visualize -- your dilemma there. But if you're worried about powering the PSUs for X79 Socket-2011 systems, what makes you think a Z87 rig will consume so much less power that the Nepalese will have adequate infrastructure for it? The difference in power draw between an X79 system and a Z87 system can be found in the graphics card requirements for the former. You're still going to use some kind of ATX PSU, though.

I once had this idea for a tiny Toshiba notebook/laptop for what I "envisioned" could be a practical use, but the smart-phone replaced my idea: A solar charging rig on your backpack while toting a lightweight laptop into the Sierras for a week.

Consider buying some green laptops, and investigate the charging requirements and costs of simple portable solar panels. I don't think you'll have a problem finding sunlight at those elevations. . . .

Sounds bizarre or even unrealistic, but it just might work -- for somebody -- if not you.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Along the lines of what BonzaiDuck mentioned, I believe there are a lot more factors to get a power-efficient PC than what motherboard to go with.

If I were you, I would probably start a thread off the sticky in General Hardware with what you are wanting to do and see what they can put together.