What you guys think about a Honda Fury 1300 cc for a first bike?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Been wanting a motorcycle for a long time. Drove a few dirt bikes as a kid, 250 cc biggest. I'm 6'2" 250ish strong as an ox.

At first I was looking at sport bikes. I've always loved sport bikes. What I was thinking was my starter bike would be like a Ninja 650 or a Yamaha R7. Both parallel twins with not that much HP and torque, easy to stay out of trouble.

But I am pretty convinced that if I get one of those I will get tired of it very fast. My biggest worry is getting it, getting tired of it, wanting another bike, buying another bike then I have to dick around with selling it or it just sits around doing nothing.

So I've been looking at cruisers recently. There are some nice ones. But MAN, when I saw that Honda Fury! What a freaking beautiful bike! Absolutely breathtaking. And while its 1300cc, its only got like 62 horsepower or something close to that. Actually a bit disappointing, Honda could have easily gotten 90+ HP out of that engine without materially changing the driving characteristics, not sure why they limited it. Anyways, that low HP should help keep me out of trouble. Plus, since if its a cruiser type, when I likely want a new sport bike, and I get one (likely a Hayabusa), I will still want a cruiser handy to ride it cruiser style from time to time.

So any thoughts on a Honda Fury for a first bike? I am of course going to take a motorcycle driving course before I buy one (or any other motorbike).

Also, it looks like it is for one rider only, is there an accessory, like a small strap-on seat or something, that you can attach behind where rider sits so a kid can ride with you? I would love to bring my 4 year old along just for short rides to the grocery store and what not. Or if not, is there a prohibition on having him in your lap while you are riding?

Thanks!!!

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
So are you strong as an ox and built like a bull or fat as phuk? With that said either the Yamaha R6 or Honda 600RR gets my vote.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
So are you strong as an ox and built like a bull or fat as phuk? With that said either the Yamaha R6 or Honda 600RR gets my vote.

The bull thing. Yamaha R6? Honda 600RR? Those are both low-torque, high strung bikes for the track. I never plan to track any of my bikes. So I would likely throw them to the curb as soon as I got my Hayabusa down the road. They don't seem ideal for a starter bike, especially given the foregoing, not even close. But I appreciate it!

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The bull thing. Yamaha R6? Honda 600RR? Those are both low-torque, high strung bikes for the track. I never plan to track any of my bikes. So I would likely throw them to the curb as soon as I got my Hayabusa down the road. They don't seem ideal for a starter bike, especially given the foregoing, not even close. But I appreciate it!
In all seriousness, the Fury is sweet looking bike. But you said you wanted a starter bike. That is a finisher bike. The Harley fanboys must hate both Honda and Yamaha because of their reliability. You can't get in with the biker crowd because it's not a Harley. What is your goal?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Bad idea. It's like a 16 year old that just got his licence buying a Hellcat.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You don't seem to understand what you really want out of a bike. You started with a 300 as a starter, talked yourself into a mild 500-600, then decided to go to a liter+ sports bike for your first bike because everything else felt like it wasn't "powerful" enough. Now you're back down into an even slower, less powerful bike that is a completely different design and a chopper to boot.

Go take a riding course first and figure out if you even like riding as compared to the "idea of riding". My guess is you end up with a 2 door convertible to suit your midlife crisis and give up on the bike.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
You're all over the place, wanting the Fury for looks, then wanting something sporty instead, then mentioning the Fury has low HP to not get you into trouble, then mentioning moving to a Hayabusa.

Get a used Ninja 650 for around $4K, ride it for at least a year. Suffer practically no depreciation (except these are strange times for vehicle pricing so YMMV "right now"), and have no problem reselling a popular bike.

That year gives you time to decide what really matters to you besides the looks of a bike.

As a beginning rider I wouldn't take a 4 year old along. That's another distraction for you, more weight up high, and risking the child's safety while you're a new rider.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
First of all, you should not be riding with a passenger at all until you have been riding for at least a year. Second, most of the bikes you are considering (and you are all over the place) will do the job (of getting you killed).

My advice would be to get a 650cc parallel twin or L-twin like the SV650. They have plenty of power, are fun to ride and are better starter bikes than a 600cc sport bike, which is a horrible choice BTW. I owned an SV650 for a couple years and didn’t tire of it and when I did sell it I sold it for $2k less than I paid for it brand new.