Question What would you like to have in Raspberry Pi 5?

Greyguy1948

Nov 29, 2008
Raspberry Pi 5 is not announced yet but what would you like to have?
I guess both ARM32 and ARM64 are demanded so X2 and X3 are not any alternatives.
How much cost and how much RAM?

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
As powerful a cpu core as possible. Ideally a dual core of big cores.

Up to 8 GB of ram is fine for me.

Also, a native nvme slot or even SATA m2 would be nice. Hanging a USB 3 external drive off of USB (thankful it’s got good support for this now!) adds a level of clunk to every thing that requires semi-serious storage and external NVME drives don’t really work due to power draw.

More single thread performance and better native storage are pretty much my entire wishlist.

Reactions: beginner99

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
A better GPU, CPU, more IO bandwidth, more memory. You know, the usual. They have a lot of options for CPU ARM cores. I don't see the need for big+little.

GPU they're stuck with VideoCore if Broadcom has been their partner again. But maybe they'll be moving to their own design?

But they should be focused on availability for the current models. A new model is likely sometime away as a result.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
1. RISC-V Core + PowerVR GPU (they open sourced their driver recently)
2. Open source firmware/driver instead of binary blobs which made migrating to new Linux releases impossible. Current BCM blob is very inflexible for RPi4

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
An ARM core compatible with Rosetta would be a really interesting addition. Unclear if the requirements are ARM8.2 or >ARM8.2, but that would open up a lot of interesting possibilities.

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
What to upgrade though? There's already gigabit ethernet, usb 3, and dual hdmi.
And 28nm offers the best transistors per dollar.

Maybe add some small ML engine for training and inference

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Raspberry Pi 5 is not announced yet but what would you like to have?
I guess both ARM32 and ARM64 are demanded so X2 and X2 are not any alternatives.
How much cost and how much RAM?

"Powered by any cheep classic Big Little SoC" would be more then enough.

For example Khadas VIM4, very good but as expected it is not hm "cheep".

Last edited:
Reactions: Vattila

Greyguy1948

Nov 29, 2008
Reading the thread it looks like an expensive Pi5....
My problem with Pi4 is surfing on the internet of today. L2 cache like 1024 kB is not much.
L3 cach like 3-4 MB and private L2 cache like 512kB.
Any CPU like A76, A77 or A78 could be OK

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Faster CPU and GPU obviously. The second HDMI port on the Pi 4 could not do 4k60, and desktop 4k performance on the pi was abysmal.

One unique thing I would like to see them do is add a higher cost version with a faster CPU/GPU over the base model in order to cater to those of us that use the pi for things like NAS controllers and lightweight database or development servers. Specifically, some people use the regular pi for non demanding tasks like digital signs. Others have a desire for a small form factor board that can do the tasks I mentioned above and more. They should definitely consider creating a high end segment.

A thunderbolt port or USB4 would be nice, though it will never happen. Someone above mentioned m.2 support, but that would require changes to the board design. I have a case that adds that anyway.

Oh, a 16gb option and good availability would be nice. 🤣

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I would expect any new Pi still to be able to run powered by normal (non-PD) (I see they already made the switch to 15W USB-PD) USB power and no active cooling, and stay within the current price range. That limits what's technically possible.

Last edited:

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
I would expect any new Pi still to be able to run powered by normal (non-PD) (I see they already made the switch to 15W USB-PD) USB power and no active cooling, and stay within the current price range. That limits what's technically possible.

Indeed. The first limit from price perspective is the manufacturing technology of the SoC. The PI4 uses TSMC 28nm - and this did limit the performance and the choice of CPU/GPU. I also assume, that they are going with an existing commodity SoC like from Broadcom - which further limits the choice.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OMG what the hell is going on with the pricing on a RPi4?
I wanted to buy one and build another PiHole device for a friend, as my friend loved it when he came over and saw how it cut a lot of ads.

I checked on amazon, and im flipping on the price.
And here i thought miners were evil inflating GPU prices.

I swear there is at least a 200% markup on all RPi4 devices, and even RPi3 are extremely inflated.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Pi400 is always an option. I have a couple it's actually quite convenient. You lose the audio and CSI/DSI which could be a deal breaker for arcade builds.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I wanted to buy one and build another PiHole device for a friend, as my friend loved it when he came over and saw how it cut a lot of ads.

I checked on amazon, and im flipping on the price.
And here i thought miners were evil inflating GPU prices.

I swear there is at least a 200% markup on all RPi4 devices, and even RPi3 are extremely inflated.
So you're saying I should sell my RPI4. :D

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So you're saying I should sell my RPI4. :D

the 8GB versions are running anywhere from 160 to 210 dollars.

That is absolutely insane when i remember i bought mine for 74.99 with a discount on top from Amazon.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Raspberry can't build enough. They are making over 400k units a month, but most of those are going to industry who designed widgets around a rpi4. The few that is left over gets to the standard retail market where scalpers are waiting with their bot software.

Update from a few days ago: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=337568

Its a redactedecosystem atm for enthusiasts :(

No profanity allowed in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: moinmoin

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I really wouldn't mind having something based on a previous generation of mobile phone SOC with different firmware tuning. There are SOCs that are still in production for low end phones that serve less developed countries that have compelling specs, are produced in enough volume to be cheap(ish) and provide a decent amount of I/O. Something with at least a pair of A75+ cores and a quad of a53+ LP cores could be put to decent use with sufficiently open driver stacks.

My problem with the ecosystem is that I can get the same or similar performance for similar money in the tiny uSFF form factor celeron and pentium boxes for sale all over the place. Once you pass the $200 mark, you're in i3-1115g4 spec laptops that will run rings around any Pi. The tinyness of the box isn't important to me. Power levels on a laptop running with the lid closed and a low power plan aren't a deal breaker level of different from Pi setups for me.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
I really wouldn't mind having something based on a previous generation of mobile phone SOC with different firmware tuning. There are SOCs that are still in production for low end phones that serve less developed countries that have compelling specs, are produced in enough volume to be cheap(ish) and provide a decent amount of I/O. Something with at least a pair of A75+ cores and a quad of a53+ LP cores could be put to decent use with sufficiently open driver stacks.

My problem with the ecosystem is that I can get the same or similar performance for similar money in the tiny uSFF form factor celeron and pentium boxes for sale all over the place. Once you pass the $200 mark, you're in i3-1115g4 spec laptops that will run rings around any Pi. The tinyness of the box isn't important to me. Power levels on a laptop running with the lid closed and a low power plan aren't a deal breaker level of different from Pi setups for me.
Yep. You are not going to beat performance per dollar via cheap or used hardware and now a days. Cheap hardware with a 35w intel quad core, 8gb of ram, and 256 gb ssd.
And that cheap and used hardware can be 7 inches by 7 inches by 1.5" (or slightly smaller) plus power brick.

Thus the benefits of Raspberry Pi has to be price and even smaller size. Something that is hard to fine with general silicon availability now a days.