What would you expect Romney to do if he is elected?

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
For much of what he says you really can't tell what he would actually do if he is elected. What do you expect him to actually do if he gets elected president?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Ask for a cut of spidey's bet winnings?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
For much of what he says you really can't tell what he would actually do if he is elected. What do you expect him to actually do if he gets elected president?

I'd expect a Mitt presidency would look a lot like and Obama presidency which looks a lot like a Bush presidency.

other than platitudes and rhetoric they all seem to govern in a manner that benefits the %.05 that fund the election cycle.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
1) Start a new war somewhere-most likely Iran, but Pakistan or some other hot spot isn't too farfetched. A new war is certain, however. In addition he will stay in Afganistan indefinately.

2) Drastically increase military spending-on hardware and contractors, not on pay or VA benefits.

3) Cut financial regulations and reform

4) At a minimum, prevent funding of Obamacare

5) Cut taxes for the wealthiest and cut services to the middle class and lower. Bye bye Pell grants, amount other things-you will all just have to borrow from daddy as he already suggested.

6) Cause a ballooning of the deficit.

7) Environmental regs-bye bye.

That's my best guess, but I admit it's hard to predict what he will actually do as you usually have 3-4 versions of his plans and goals to choose from.

PS-note the absence of such things as stand up to China, etc. He will do the exact opposite there if it benefits his corporate countryclub cronies.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Kill funding to green energy and increase oil production, including approving the Keystone XL pipeline from Canada. I don't think he'll have much success repealing all of Obamacare, maybe some but not all.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd expect a Mitt presidency would look a lot like and Obama presidency which looks a lot like a Bush presidency.

other than platitudes and rhetoric they all seem to govern in a manner that benefits the %.05 that fund the election cycle.

This.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
It depends;
A Romney presidency with a Republican controlled House and Senate = Return of the GWB rubber stamp. Expect all kinds of nutty crap to come through congress.
A Romney presidency with a a Democrat controlled House/Senate or both. More of the same as it has been for the past 4 years. Lots of gridlock and bickering and things that need to be done left undone.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I think that he will kick the can down the road on all of our financial problems... like all of his predecessors have done.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
1) Start a new war somewhere-most likely Iran, but Pakistan or some other hot spot isn't too farfetched. A new war is certain, however. In addition he will stay in Afganistan indefinately.

2) Drastically increase military spending-on hardware and contractors, not on pay or VA benefits.

5) Cut taxes for the wealthiest and cut services to the middle class and lower. Bye bye Pell grants, amount other things-you will all just have to borrow from daddy as he already suggested.

That's my best guess, but I admit it's hard to predict what he will actually do as you usually have 3-4 versions of his plans and goals to choose from.

PS-note the absence of such things as stand up to China, etc. He will do the exact opposite there if it benefits his corporate countryclub cronies.

Good list. It's true that presidents and parties are 80% interchangeable, but the 20% difference can matter.

Romney has promised to cut "burdensome" regulations so I'd expect enforcement to be "relaxed" for regulations protecting the environment, food and drug safety, financial, antitrust etc.

In some cases that might make sense, but expect more pollution, financial shenanigans, megacorp merges and media consolidation, monopoly abuse, and who knows what else.

Nov 30, 2006

I suspect this would be true. However, one thing you can count on is that the liberals here will suddenly be outraged over things that previously didn't bother them so much. It's really quite amazing what a letter behind a name means to "rational" people.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I suspect this would be true. However, one thing you can count on is that the liberals here will suddenly be outraged over things that previously didn't bother them so much. It's really quite amazing what a letter behind a name means to "rational" people.

Just as the "conservatives" here were suddenly outraged over things that previously didn't bother them so much when Obama was elected.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

I don't see a "war" any more than we would with Obama, who is being aggressive with ME policy.

Many of the things on your list would require Democrat complicity and it seems that there won't be enough of a change in Congress to make that untrue. Given real world constraints exactly how would all of these changes come about?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
To answer the question, not much will happen. The Dems will sink his agenda and his business experience will be useless. Gridlock.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It depends;
A Romney presidency with a Republican controlled House and Senate = Return of the GWB rubber stamp. Expect all kinds of nutty crap to come through congress.
A Romney presidency with a a Democrat controlled House/Senate or both. More of the same as it has been for the past 4 years. Lots of gridlock and bickering and things that need to be done left undone.

The GOP has shown a remarkable ability to keep ALL its members voting the official party line in the last six years or so (excluding situations where the GOP leadership was acting "too liberal" for teabaggers-like in the debt ceiling situation). Democrats, on the other hand, have a centuries old big tent philisophy. Getting all, or even most Dems to vote together is akin to herding kittens. Cliff's version: Dem opposition to Romney will be far less effective than GOP opposition to any Dem president.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I don't see a "war" any more than we would with Obama, who is being aggressive with ME policy.

Many of the things on your list would require Democrat complicity and it seems that there won't be enough of a change in Congress to make that untrue. Given real world constraints exactly how would all of these changes come about?

Romney: US should be more assertive on world stage

First paragraph:

Republican Mitt Romney said Monday the risk of conflict in the Middle East ‘‘is higher now’’ than it was when President Barack Obama took office. He proposed that the U.S. take a more assertive role in Syria and claimed Obama’s withdrawal of troops from Iraq has jeopardized U.S. interests.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Usher in a theocracy of young-earth creationism. All atheists burned at the stake for logic-craft.

Shortly thereafter, it turns out he designed the Metro interface for Windows 8.

Mass hysteria.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
It depends;

well said, I also believe if Republican won both houses, it's essentially GWB era again. No compromise extreme Republican policies.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think that he will kick the can down the road on all of our financial problems... like all of his predecessors have done.

That certainly seems to be his philosophy to foreign affairs as he stated as such in the 47% video.

Romney will do whatever he can that will benefit him, whether or not it will happen is dependent on who controls congress.

Based on everything I've seen Romney has the impression that all he has to do is win the presidency and then take credit for the economic recovery that's already happening (which, again, he stated that in his 47% video).

I can tell you that history tends to repeat itself and if he wins and republicans gain control government spending and waste will go up (Romneys own policies already call for an increase in military spending thats unneeded and unwanted).