What would you do if a co-worker with less seniority, expertise and drive got paid more than you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Originally posted by: NL5
If you are worth more than you make, the company will have zero reason to give you a raise unless you're willing to walk away. It's really that simple.
Fixed

More fixed.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
To the OP, I assume your organization has regular performance evaluations? And are complaints about this individual being filed to the proper individuals? If so, then he'll probably be gone before too long. We just fired an employee a few weeks ago after the idiot plugged in the little Linksys router we use in our imaging lab into the production network. The DHCP server in it started handing out IP addresses and broke a large chunk of our production network.

crazygirl

Oct 15, 2008
Originally posted by: CoolTech
A new guy at work was hired about 5 months ago. At the time, I had the same job title as he did. However, 2 months ago I was promoted into a different role where I interface with him to obtain the status of projects he is working on. I am not his manager, however I do manage projects he is involved with.

The guy comes late nearly every single day. I live 40 miles from work and am on time. I drive my car to the train station then walk 3 blocks. He lives 2 miles from work and he cant get to work on time. On top of this, we have to tell him the same thing many many times, and he still does not remember how to do things. He works as a Business Analyst which is a fairly technical role. He describes himself as not technical. The software developers that receive requirements consistently complain about the lack of detail and thoroughness. They have recently been cursing/scolding him for this. Overall, I am a superior employee with much more experience and expertise than him at my company.

However, as everyone working in the corporate world may know...when you switch jobs, you make the biggest salary gains. He moved from a large bank to our medium sized company. So, he was probably able to ask for a tidy sum.

We had open enrollment recently and he was asking me for help making choices. My harmless help has led to me feeling undervalued. Apparently the amount we pay for health benefits is directly tied to salary. Neither of us read this beforehand and now I know that he makes at least $10,000 more than I do for subpar work. Apparently its not very tasteful to bring up the fact that you know someone else's salary at work, but I found out in a fairly innocuous manner. I came into the company with not much corporate experience, but quickly exceled and was recently given a 20% raise. I have only been working for 4 years since college. But, it still bothers me a great deal that a guy myself and others have consistently noticed is apathetic and inept in many respects is paid more than me. I am contemplating starting to look for work but the current economy makes me almost simply happt to have a job. What would you do in this situation?

I'm pretty sure you work with me. I am that person who does no work and gets paid the most. I'm not proud of it, but I do have a lot of money to cheer me up. Sorry.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Do what he did. Get a new job elsewhere for more money.

Spoken like a good little corporate drone. Is the current economic crisis not proof enough that the free enterprise model is broken?

:confused: You're a chef, how would you know what the corporate world is like?

If you have unique/valuable skill a company wants, you can always find work and make more money.

I worked for the largest food service corporation in the world for years and finally came to the conclusion that the money aint worth the corporate crap. As for the bolded quote, I think you are naive. Corporations only work in their own best interests in the larger picture. Individual employees are NOT the larger picture.

:confused: So what? And how does that go against my advice to the OP? Sounds like you're agreeing with me then.

Let me make it easy. It is in the short term interest of the corporation to hire the cheapest person for the job they can find. Just because a individual has a "unique/valuable skill" does NOT mean a corporation will pay more for it. AND, because all corporations tend to think in the short term, it is very unlikely that another corporation will pay more for a similar position.

:confused: Really? Why do the vast majority of people make more money when they switch jobs?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Don't worry about what others make and just focus on doing the best you can.

In time it'll work out for the better.

It's easy to get caught up in the game you're playing, but ask yourself, "would you consider looking for another job had you not found this out?" if the answer is no then I think it's pretty clear that you push it out of your mind. If this guy is truly as bad as you say and you're as good as you say then it's only a matter of time before he gets cut or you get a raise again.

Someone like this guy would be the first on the cutting block if your company is looking to trim some fat also.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
It really blows when these things happen.

All I'll say is that it doesn't hurt to look. You don't have to accept, or even apply to, another job.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Don't like it, quit and get another job with more $ (that's how I did it).

Can't quit? Then just suck it up and live with it. Welcome to the real world. I don't want to sound harsh, but it is what it is.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
A new guy at work was hired about 5 months ago. At the time, I had the same job title as he did. However, 2 months ago I was promoted into a different role where I interface with him to obtain the status of projects he is working on. I am not his manager, however I do manage projects he is involved with.

The guy comes late nearly every single day. I live 40 miles from work and am on time. I drive my car to the train station then walk 3 blocks. He lives 2 miles from work and he cant get to work on time. On top of this, we have to tell him the same thing many many times, and he still does not remember how to do things. He works as a Business Analyst which is a fairly technical role. He describes himself as not technical. The software developers that receive requirements consistently complain about the lack of detail and thoroughness. They have recently been cursing/scolding him for this. Overall, I am a superior employee with much more experience and expertise than him at my company.

However, as everyone working in the corporate world may know...when you switch jobs, you make the biggest salary gains. He moved from a large bank to our medium sized company. So, he was probably able to ask for a tidy sum.

We had open enrollment recently and he was asking me for help making choices. My harmless help has led to me feeling undervalued. Apparently the amount we pay for health benefits is directly tied to salary. Neither of us read this beforehand and now I know that he makes at least $10,000 more than I do for subpar work. <<Apparently its not very tasteful to bring up the fact that you know someone else's salary at work, but I found out in a fairly innocuous manner. I came into the company with not much corporate experience, but quickly exceled and was recently given a 20% raise. I have only been working for 4 years since college. But, it still bothers me a great deal that a guy myself and others have consistently noticed is apathetic and inept in many respects is paid more than me. I am contemplating starting to look for work but the current economy makes me almost simply happt to have a job. What would you do in this situation?

I highlighted every part of your post that matters.

What he does or does not do... what you do and do not do, have no effect at all on each other's salaries. If you don't like this, you might as well find yourself a job in a unionized factory.

The only thing your post tells me is that you are a shitty negotiator. If he makes more than you while being less competent then it's not his fault, it's not your company's fault... it's your fault for not asking for more money.

Why would your company offer to pay YOU more just because he makes more money? That's the shittiest business idea I've ever heard of. Imagine that conversation going on: "Hey, CoolTech... we just hired this guy in at $40,000 and since you're only making $30,000 we're gonna bump you up to $45,000!" Get real. If you think you are worth more money then grow the balls to say so and do something about it if you get shot down. If you don't get more money... then I guess you aren't worth it now, are you? Is your lifestyle being hindered by the fact that he makes more money? Is this jealousy speaking? Is it a matter of you living in poverty while he's living the dream life? Probably not. Just because he's making more money doesn't mean that you can't keep living your life the way you were before you found this out.

Let me reiterate before I close... what you make and what he makes has no correlation. The only representation between the two figures is that at some point the company has considered him more valuable than you. Don't like it? Prove you're worth more money or shut up.

crazygirl

Oct 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Injury

We had open enrollment recently and he was asking me for help making choices. My harmless help has led to me feeling undervalued. Apparently the amount we pay for health benefits is directly tied to salary. Neither of us read this beforehand and now I know that he makes at least $10,000 more than I do for subpar work. <<<Apparently its not very tasteful to bring up the fact that you know someone else's salary at work, but I found out in a fairly innocuous manner. I came into the company with not much corporate experience, but quickly exceled and was recently given a 20% raise. I have only been working for 4 years since college. But, it still bothers me a great deal that a guy myself and others have consistently noticed is apathetic and inept in many respects is paid more than me. I am contemplating starting to look for work but the current economy makes me almost simply happt to have a job. What would you do in this situation?

I highlighted every part of your post that matters.

What he does or does not do... what you do and do not do, have no effect at all on each other's salaries. If you don't like this, you might as well find yourself a job in a unionized factory.

The only thing your post tells me is that you are a shitty negotiator. If he makes more than you while being less competent then it's not his fault, it's not your company's fault... it's your fault for not asking for more money.

Why would your company offer to pay YOU more just because he makes more money? That's the shittiest business idea I've ever heard of. Imagine that conversation going on: "Hey, CoolTech... we just hired this guy in at $40,000 and since you're only making $30,000 we're gonna bump you up to $45,000!" Get real. If you think you are worth more money then grow the balls to say so and do something about it if you get shot down. If you don't get more money... then I guess you aren't worth it now, are you? Is your lifestyle being hindered by the fact that he makes more money? Is this jealousy speaking? Is it a matter of you living in poverty while he's living the dream life? Probably not. Just because he's making more money doesn't mean that you can't keep living your life the way you were before you found this out.

Let me reiterate before I close... what you make and what he makes has no correlation. The only representation between the two figures is that at some point the company has considered him more valuable than you. Don't like it? Prove you're worth more money or shut up.

black cop avatar in your FACE!!!

Wow!

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
This is perfectly normal in corporate America. Office politics/relationships were always the deciding factor of one's position/salary/benefits. Then goes experience/skills and lastly education. Sometimes education does not even matter much unless its from top elitist schools.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
"You Don't Get What You Deserve, You Get What You Negotiate"

Print that up and hang it in your cube.

Good Luck
Scott

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

We had open enrollment recently and he was asking me for help making choices. My harmless help has led to me feeling undervalued. Apparently the amount we pay for health benefits is directly tied to salary. Neither of us read this beforehand and now I know that he makes at least $10,000 more than I do for subpar work. Apparently its not very tasteful to bring up the fact that you know someone else's salary at work, but I found out in a fairly innocuous manner. I came into the company with not much corporate experience, but quickly exceled and was recently given a 20% raise. I have only been working for 4 years since college. But, it still bothers me a great deal that a guy myself and others have consistently noticed is apathetic and inept in many respects is paid more than me. I am contemplating starting to look for work but the current economy makes me almost simply happt to have a job. What would you do in this situation?

There are many people who are not detail oriented nor punctual, but highly creative and excellent problem solvers.
Google, for example, doesn't even have set work times for their employees.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Where I work the "Senior Systems Administrator" makes $34,000 while our Help Desk people make $32,000. He has asked for a raise and they refuse despite him working hard, rarely missing work, and being an overall good employee.

He made the mistake of not negotiating when he came on board and now he's stuck.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: mcmilljb
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Originally posted by: NL5
If you are worth more than you make, the company will have zero reason to give you a raise regardless of if you're willing to walk away. It's really that simple.
Fixed

More fixed.
Even more fixed.
They will have to be unable to fill the position at a rate above what they currently pay you in order for that to happen.
Given the current economic conditions, that time is a long way off.
The example you give only is true when employment overall is highest.
Too many applicants for a job weaken the minimum salary point required to fill that position.

No one is irreplaceable, and more than likely, at a lower rate.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
what would i do in the situation? well first off i would stop worreing about what others make. It will only lead to getting fired and causing lots of stress not to mention its none of my business.

IF you want another job look for it. but don't be shocked if you can't find one. there are lots of people looking for jobs now and many have more knowledge and experiance and willing to work for less thent hey are worth.

either way get over it. there are always going to be people that make more then you that you think don't deserve it. hell odds are you are one that people think that of.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
what would i do in the situation? well first off i would stop worreing about what others make. It will only lead to getting fired and causing lots of stress not to mention its none of my business.

IF you want another job look for it. but don't be shocked if you can't find one. there are lots of people looking for jobs now and many have more knowledge and experiance and willing to work for less thent hey are worth.

either way get over it. there are always going to be people that make more then you that you think don't deserve it. hell odds are you are one that people think that of.
So true, so very, very true.
Best advice for getting paid more? Start your own company.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
CoolTech, before you found out how much the other guy made, were you happy with what you're making? If so, don't worry about it.