What would life be like today if the dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
article

Would dinosaurs have evolved into more intelligent species? Would we be Sleestaks today? What is the impetus for the development of a larger brain?

edmundoab

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2003
www.facebook.com
i wonder if they do exist still, will it ever make way for men to come into existance as of today.
but certainly, our intelligence beat the dinosaurs and we should be able to fight for survival

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I think dinosaurs would be extinct anyhow. Mankind has hands and opposable thumbs which I think makes all the difference in the world. I'm no scientist but I think for dinosaurs to have survived they would have to have hands with fingers and opposable thumbs. Am I somewhat correct or far off the mark on this?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Freejack2
I think dinosaurs would be extinct anyhow. Mankind has hands and opposable thumbs which I think makes all the difference in the world. I'm no scientist but I think for dinosaurs to have survived they would have to have hands with fingers and opposable thumbs. Am I somewhat correct or far off the mark on this?

They survived for a hell of a lot longer than man has so far, so I'd say your wrong.

About 190million years as opposed to 160,000 years?

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJ

They survived for a hell of a lot longer than man has so far, so I'd say your wrong.

Perhaps but I'm thinking if mankind had evolved with Dinosaurs around our ingenuity would have allowed us to win over the dinosaurs. I think the dinosaurs would have been hunted to extinction by mankind. If not i think they would probably be the equivalent of cows today.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Do horseshoe crabs have opposable thumbs? They seem to have survived just fine. What about crocodiles?

Dinosaurs are huge. I'm not sure early man chucking rocks and sticks at them would have been sufficent to allow us to overcome them, since the human species had a very precarious hold on survival until very recently in a historical sense. Then again, we did manage to survive while contending with many large mammels, so who knows? But I don't think dinosaurs would have helped foster an environment that humans could have easily evolved in.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

Perhaps but I'm thinking if mankind had evolved with Dinosaurs around our ingenuity would have allowed us to win over the dinosaurs. I think the dinosaurs would have been hunted to extinction by mankind. If not i think they would probably be the equivalent of cows today.

It would've given the dinosaurs roughly another 24 million years to evolve also. Don't forget that.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I don't believe humans would be around as we know them today. With so many predators around, dinos would have remained the dominant species on the planet.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
No way we'd exist as we do. We're one of the slowest animals for our size in the entire animal kingdom, probably only faster than sloths. Our young are entirely helpless for a few years, and mostly helpless for a decade after that.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
They would starve to death.

Think about it. They require HUGE ammounts of meat/plants to survive. There just isnt enough land to support 6billion humans plus dinosours. I think the California Condor is a great example of this. That bird should be dead, the only reason its not is because we are fighting (and a HUGE waste of money) to keep it alive. IT requires giant things to die, and there arent enough giant things dieing out there to feed it. This is why we drop goats out of a helicoptor to feed them.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: illusion88
They would starve to death.

Think about it. They require HUGE ammounts of meat/plants to survive. There just isnt enough land to support 6billion humans plus dinosours. I think the California Condor is a great example of this. That bird should be dead, the only reason its not is because we are fighting (and a HUGE waste of money) to keep it alive. IT requires giant things to die, and there arent enough giant things dieing out there to feed it. This is why we drop goats out of a helicoptor to feed them.

There'd be a plentiful supply of meat called humans. Not to mention we would've never evolved to what we currently are. All the land we've "destroyed" etc would be similar to how it was millions of years ago. Our evolution would've been much different.

I mean come on, all those dinosaurs survived just fine for for almost 200 million years.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Gurck
No way we'd exist as we do. We're one of the slowest animals for our size in the entire animal kingdom, probably only faster than sloths. Our young are entirely helpless for a few years, and mostly helpless for a decade after that.

Exactly. As I said, we had a pretty precarious hold on survival throughout our early evolution...largely because outside of our brain and amazing manual dexterity we are an incredibly pathetic animal. We're absmal sprinters, only passable long distance runners, our young take way to long to mature and we're extremely weak and small compared to most animals. We've got a few important advantages, but nothing that wouldn't have stopped the big predators from using us a slow moving bite sized snack food.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: meltdown75
You mean the Jesus horses?

I remember when they were doing that on SNL and both Tina and Jimmy were cracking up when they reading that story...