What would it take for you to fight?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
To conscript myself? If I signed up today, and if I was fit for service, I would be used as a police officer on the streets of Iraq. Screw that.

I would have a very difficult time ever joining our national service seeing our political leaders corrupt their utmost purpose. Which is the preservation of our troops and the killing of our enemy.

I believe in total war ? or no war. The grey area in-between is an unacceptable sacrifice on our part. I can never follow someone's orders who contradict my feelings on this.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: RichardE
So far out of this many replies maybe 3 people have actually thought about the OP and answered it instead of flame baiting. Are we incapable of anything besides partisan/ideologies attacks on each other to be able to think honestly about our own thoughts on the subject? It seems you guys keep throwing out the same talking points right or wrongly we all do in every thread.

So instead of judging someone else when you have yet to reply to the questions why don't you try to answer yourself. Even if its a "No, I will not fight for anything".

Naturally, I don't want to risk my life unless there's a good reason. If there was a draft, I'd be proud to go to Iraq or anywhere to protect America's interests. There are things worth fighting and dying for.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21
So far out of this many replies maybe 3 people have actually thought about the OP and answered it instead of flame baiting. Are we incapable of anything besides partisan/ideologies attacks on each other to be able to think honestly about our own thoughts on the subject? It seems you guys keep throwing out the same talking points right or wrongly we all do in every thread.

So instead of judging someone else when you have yet to reply to the questions why don't you try to answer yourself. Even if its a "No, I will not fight for anything".

Naturally, I don't want to risk my life unless there's a good reason. If there was a draft, I'd be proud to go to Iraq or anywhere to protect America's interests. There are things worth fighting and dying for.
That's why it's important not to elect another incompetent asshole like Bush so if our Servicemen do have to fight and die it will actually be for a righteous cause.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: punchkin
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
I will fight and die to protect the life and liberty of my family. I will fight and die for anyone willing to fight and die for the life and liberty of my family along side their own family.

Right now the greatest threat to Life and Liberty is our militarism, our press onward toward globalism, and our own government restricting the freedom the founders of our nation worked so hard to protect. I will fight against these things with all I am.

So you're leaving your job here, then?

Oh look, the wanker is back.

You didn't think that post above was the best reply ever?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Come on man this is AT P&N. SOP.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I would volunteer for military service in a heartbeat if the US was directly threatened. I would also seriously consider enlisting if I knew I would be stationed doing peacekeeping or trying to help stabilize a region of the world.

I probably wouldn't volunteer for Iraq, but I would go with no complaints if I was drafted.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

That's why it's important not to elect another incompetent asshole like Bush so if our Servicemen do have to fight and die it will actually be for a righteous cause.

I think the cause is righteous. The means was stupid.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Well I and most Americans don't

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Honestly, very very little, but this is why soldiers are generally young and draft age tends to run out around when people have kids. I can think of almost nothing that would make it worth enlisting for service and leaving my family behind me if I died.

Edit: I mean a lot, there is almost nothing that could make me enlist.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: punchkin
I will fight and die to protect the life and liberty of my family. I will fight and die for anyone willing to fight and die for the life and liberty of my family along side their own family.

Right now the greatest threat to Life and Liberty is our militarism, our press onward toward globalism, and our own government restricting the freedom the founders of our nation worked so hard to protect. I will fight against these things with all I am.

So you're leaving your job here, then?

Oh look, the wanker is back.

You didn't think that post above was the best reply ever?

Dave, had you bothered to do a little reading, you'd see that punchkin defends every government action against US citizens no matter how egregious, and then simply declare himself the winner of the argument because he has qualifications and you don't. He has yet to actually divulge his qualifications, he just insists that he knows everything and is never wrong.

Really, there's no better way to address him than mock him and move on.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

You're free to think what you want. The rest of us want no part of it. You want to go to another country and kill people, have at it. Just don't include the US.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Increasingly the question for this thread has litttle relevance, and the relevant question is, what would it take for you to do nothing to stop your government?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Corbett
Your confused little mind has mistaken this as a criticism of the soldiers when in reality it is a criticism of Bush, his handlers and the misguided fools that supported him. Of course hiding behind the soldiers instead of accepting the deserved criticism is the standard MO for your type.

And supporting this type of claim si the standard MO for your type (liberal).

Of course it is a dig at Bush, buts its also a dig at the tropps by telling them they are fighting for nothing.
They aren't fighting for nothing, they are fighting for each other though they shouldn't have been put in the position in the first place. You and your type are the ones responsible for putting them in that unfortunate position.

Its a volunteer military, and while I agree we obviously went into Iraq on bad intel, I also am level headed enough to know any soldier who wants to leave, can. But I would love to hear your explaination of how I am responsible for this.

GEEEZZZZE, Corbett! Can you say Stoploss and court martial?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234
Increasingly the question for this thread has litttle relevance, and the relevant question is, what would it take for you to do nothing to stop your government?

Well, it would take someone presenting me with a convincing case that the government must be stopped.

Your question illustrates the difference between you and I. I see the government of the United States as intending to do good, and not always succeeding. I think you see it as intending to do bad, and not always succeeding because we stand in its way.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I would just like to take a minute to remind everyone what an absolute stud John Stuart Mill was. Every quote I see reinforces that.

The imp in my requires that I respond to this:

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative."
- John Stuart Mill

I have not verified the attribution, though.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Defending my family is worth dying for. Dying for your country is stupid nowadays because in reality you are dying for some politician sitting comfortably 2000 miles behind the front line.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003

We citizens have a moral responsibility to fulfill that which we as individuals see as our moral responsibility. We have the personal responsibility to extend our help as individuals to those who are in need, but we do not have the right to dictate to our neighbors which people they must support, which causes they must fund.

Our government has no business in advocating or interveining in any other nation's business, but would do the most good for the rest of the world by setting an example of how to be a good neighbor in the world community. Embargos and sanctions never hurt an opressive government, but the people. Regime change often results in a different flavor or horrible leader coming to power. Let us truly help the people of the world by removing impediments to free trade and travel. Let us stop trying to impose our culture, our form of government, our way of life on other countries. Let us practice anything but the isolationism we practice today -- let us be honest friends with everyone but remain neutral -- let us as individual and our government as a humble entity set an example for which other individuals, other peoples, other governments might strive to emulate on the basis of our effectiveness rather than on the effectiveness of our threats.

If we showed the world that America could live as it was founded and intended to live, how many people would rise up and throw off the shackles of oppression on their own? If we shine the light of truth it cannot be extinguished unless we put it out ourselves (as it seems we are trying very hard to do these days).

We have lost our way. If there was a sacrifice I could make to help us find it again, I would do so.

Nice post.

However will you admit to where the source of the oppression is coming from?

Once you do will you really fight them right here at home?

Thanks.

Who's the enemy in your mind?

And I'll go where the battle for liberty takes me.

.... also, all you people need to chill about Iraq -- there are plenty of other threads for that. that is clearly not issue here.

Some of you think that it is or is not a war worth fighting and some of you think that your opinion on that subject indicates your level of support for the troops and some people even feel like it's okay for anyone to feel any way they want and to have the right to express it even if they choose not to support the troops on memorial day (even though I disagree with this sentiment I support people's right to express it).

The point of this topic isn't what our soldiers are choosing to fight for or what the op decides he would not fight for -- it is what would you fight for.

now get on topic .... I'm asking nicely :)

I realize you are relatively new here so I will spell it out.

It is the Corporations that are the oppressors in America.

They are comprised of both Non-profit (churches and supposed charities) and for profit that control the government (lobbyists).

I have been typing about it for years here until recently when now it is no longer acceptable to post about it. I have since rectified that situation where I can post freely about said oppression and control, for now until it is knocked off the Internet as well.

As the Internet itself is under attack by said Corporations, hell they are even fighting each other for the control of the internet and the money (see Viacom Vs Google)

So, will you fight the oppresors?

It is absolutely acceptable to post that position.

In fact it is a completely defensible position as well, and there is no reason you should think that you would not be allowed to speak your mind on this subject. Neither AnandTech or the mods here will ever do anything in attempt to censor your view and positions even if we have to enforce our guidelines to maintain order now and then :)

(nice forums by the way, and I wish you all the best in running them effectively)

But as to my feelings on the subject ... I partially agree with you.

In my mind, the corporations themselves are not the inherently evil entities -- they are autonomous virtual "persons" trying to accomplish their goals and they do so by every means at their disposal.

The real problem is that our government allows corporate interests and lobbying to have a greater impact on the governing of the country than the individual human person. Our system was supposed to protect individual liberty, but we've slowly started to believe that "majority rules" overrules the constitution. If we were still well protected by our government enforcing the constitution (even and especially down to the 10th amendment) much corporate power over the individual would be removed (because there would be many laws and policies that would be considered unconstitutional if we cared to understand the meaning of the founders of our country -- it would be useless to lobby for something that couldn't be done by the government).

In the system we have, corporations do what they do because they are in many cases allowed and in other cases simply able to do so. I feel that this is a short fall of government, not the corporations themselves.

So yeah, I'll fight that battle on the side of the individual. I think it's mainly against the government rather than the corporations at this point, but I don't know everything.

The main point of my original response was not to underline the enemy I would fight, but the things I would fight for and protect from any entity. I stand by that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

We citizens have a moral responsibility to fulfill that which we as individuals see as our moral responsibility. We have the personal responsibility to extend our help as individuals to those who are in need, but we do not have the right to dictate to our neighbors which people they must support, which causes they must fund.

Our government has no business in advocating or interveining in any other nation's business, but would do the most good for the rest of the world by setting an example of how to be a good neighbor in the world community. Embargos and sanctions never hurt an opressive government, but the people. Regime change often results in a different flavor or horrible leader coming to power. Let us truly help the people of the world by removing impediments to free trade and travel. Let us stop trying to impose our culture, our form of government, our way of life on other countries. Let us practice anything but the isolationism we practice today -- let us be honest friends with everyone but remain neutral -- let us as individual and our government as a humble entity set an example for which other individuals, other peoples, other governments might strive to emulate on the basis of our effectiveness rather than on the effectiveness of our threats.

If we showed the world that America could live as it was founded and intended to live, how many people would rise up and throw off the shackles of oppression on their own? If we shine the light of truth it cannot be extinguished unless we put it out ourselves (as it seems we are trying very hard to do these days).

We have lost our way. If there was a sacrifice I could make to help us find it again, I would do so.

Nice post.

However will you admit to where the source of the oppression is coming from?

Once you do will you really fight them right here at home?

Thanks.

Who's the enemy in your mind?

And I'll go where the battle for liberty takes me.

.... also, all you people need to chill about Iraq -- there are plenty of other threads for that. that is clearly not issue here.

Some of you think that it is or is not a war worth fighting and some of you think that your opinion on that subject indicates your level of support for the troops and some people even feel like it's okay for anyone to feel any way they want and to have the right to express it even if they choose not to support the troops on memorial day (even though I disagree with this sentiment I support people's right to express it).

The point of this topic isn't what our soldiers are choosing to fight for or what the op decides he would not fight for -- it is what would you fight for.

now get on topic .... I'm asking nicely :)

I realize you are relatively new here so I will spell it out.

It is the Corporations that are the oppressors in America.

They are comprised of both Non-profit (churches and supposed charities) and for profit that control the government (lobbyists).

I have been typing about it for years here until recently when now it is no longer acceptable to post about it. I have since rectified that situation where I can post freely about said oppression and control, for now until it is knocked off the Internet as well.

As the Internet itself is under attack by said Corporations, hell they are even fighting each other for the control of the internet and the money (see Viacom Vs Google)

So, will you fight the oppresors?

It is absolutely acceptable to post that position.

In fact it is a completely defensible position as well, and there is no reason you should think that you would not be allowed to speak your mind on this subject. Neither AnandTech or the mods here will ever do anything in attempt to censor your view and positions even if we have to enforce our guidelines to maintain order now and then :)

(nice forums by the way, and I wish you all the best in running them effectively)

But as to my feelings on the subject ... I partially agree with you.

In my mind, the corporations themselves are not the inherently evil entities -- they are autonomous virtual "persons" trying to accomplish their goals and they do so by every means at their disposal.

The real problem is that our government allows corporate interests and lobbying to have a greater impact on the governing of the country than the individual human person. Our system was supposed to protect individual liberty, but we've slowly started to believe that "majority rules" overrules the constitution. If we were still well protected by our government enforcing the constitution (even and especially down to the 10th amendment) much corporate power over the individual would be removed (because there would be many laws and policies that would be considered unconstitutional if we cared to understand the meaning of the founders of our country -- it would be useless to lobby for something that couldn't be done by the government).

In the system we have, corporations do what they do because they are in many cases allowed and in other cases simply able to do so. I feel that this is a short fall of government, not the corporations themselves.

So yeah, I'll fight that battle on the side of the individual. I think it's mainly against the government rather than the corporations at this point, but I don't know everything.

The main point of my original response was not to underline the enemy I would fight, but the things I would fight for and protect from any entity. I stand by that.

Thank you, a really sincere thank you on so many levels.

Now that they have joined (corporations owning the Government) how do you seperate them?

You said you would fight, so how do we fix this problem?

What form does this fight take?

I believe we are in the beginnings of the fight.

In regards to the Corporations I understand it is hard to bite the hand that feeds you but sometimes you have to and in this case I believe the only way to save the country.

If you feed a man a fish he gets dependent on you, if you teach him to fish he depends on himself.

How did we get to the point of allowing Corporations to feed us?

We all have to learn how to fish again.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I would just like to take a minute to remind everyone what an absolute stud John Stuart Mill was. Every quote I see reinforces that.

The imp in my requires that I respond to this:

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative."
- John Stuart Mill

I have not verified the attribution, though.
"I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. "

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Obviously the Iraq war is not one of these things, as it is not something to fight for.

What an aboslute slap in the face to all the soldiers fighting in Iraq right now. And on Memorial Day no less....

Hi there

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Defending my family is worth dying for. Dying for your country is stupid nowadays because in reality you are dying for some politician sitting comfortably 2000 miles behind the front line.

Dying for your country has actually been pretty stupid for a very long time, but I don't mean by that what the right would think.

What I mean is that was has long been waged for 'bad' reasons, creating situations where people are killing one another for bad reasons.

People might serve the militaries of the ages for societal advantage, for lack of opportunity, out of pressure from the government, for weatlh, for adventure, for feeling better about themselves 'proving' something, for reasons of romanticized patriotism, for all kinds of reasons; and their doing so allowed them to be used for injustice against other people, making those other people get killed defending themselves from the injustice an oppression threatened upon them by the rules of the first group.

What's long been needed is a way to systemically inhibit the rulers from choosing bad wars.

While the right pooh-pooh's 'peace studies', out of ignorance, in fact it's an obviously challenging area and one with great benefit and importance.

I've posted the quote before supporting the point above just within the history of the US, from the then-most decorated person in US military history:

"I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested."
- Gen. Smedley Butler

I recall the story of the CEO of Pepsi-Cola calling his former corporate lawyer, the new president Richard Nixon, and insisting that the new president of Chile be stopped in his leftist economic policies. Innocent and good men defending Chile from the economic dominance of outsiders were killed for the 'bad war' to install Pinochet and protect American corporate interests.

There have been the occasional 'necessary wars', such as against Hitler (though ironically, the war didn't seem all that necessary to the US or to Hitler when he was merely invading European nations; public opinion was largely against getting into the war, Roosevelt won in 1940 on plans not to get in the war, and Hitler expressed the desire not to go to war with the US, but Pearl Harbor and a mutual war treaty changed all that). But your sentiment that 'dying for your country' is often not too good an idea is sadly the usual situation in history.

Even take perhaps our most cherished war, the Revolutionary war; the people were pretty happy not to fight for independence, for democracy, if the British had not pressed for too much economic advantage for the company owned by the government and royal family, the East India Trading Company. But when they did press too much, a lot of good causes got the war they needed, carried along the coattails of war for economic benefit.

But how needed was it for the British soldiers killed in that war to get killed? It was a 'war for their nation'; but a war needed to protect their nation? Or to protect the rulers' profits?

I'm not saying that it's not needed for people to fight in wars a lot once they are started, that the stakes aren't high, historically speaking. But the reasons the wars start?

In fact, it's worse than I'm saying so far - war has often been used simply to secure the leader's position, the people demanding the leader 'do something' as just having peace makes the leader seem like he's not doing enough, the leader needing to put the nation's people to war lest they become a threat to his own rule.

Madeline Albright once infamously asked the Chairman of the JCS, ?What?s the point of having this superb military you?re always talking about, if we can?t use it?? What more need be said about the ease with which nations can feel pressure to go to war for bad reasons? If you need another, had Vietnam been written as fiction, it'd have been attacked as absurdly unbelievable that the US would so foolishly commit itself to such a 'bad' war for so little reason for so long at such high cost, especially to the Vietnamese. But we did that.

And while my examples use the US mostly, the same and worse can be seen by other nations.

So, it's not just now that your point is appropriate. It's true generally about war.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Anything that is not for the sake of your country's security over my country's security Richard

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Food.

We've given them the power to give us everything - there is no stopping them from having the power to take everything. Which is why our health care and everything else needs to come from them. They can't deny it if they don't control it.

I only support the abrogation of this power, and where I have argued for stopping it the left has always been against me and in favor of the government. If I ever wanted to do nothing to stop my government, I'd vote for a Democrat or Republican.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Well, it would take someone presenting me with a convincing case that the government must be stopped.

Your question illustrates the difference between you and I. I see the government of the United States as intending to do good, and not always succeeding. I think you see it as intending to do bad, and not always succeeding because we stand in its way.

I think a more accurate description of our difference is that you talk about 'the government of the United States' as one thing, where I see it as much more complex.

The government is always trying to do good - for someone, the question is for whom, and who are they hurting in the process?

Sometimes, I think the government does 'intend to do bad' when they have reasons they think justify it, such as with Vietnam. They knew that the Vietnamese people had been wanting to be free of colonialism for a long time, and they knew that war there would kill a lot of innocent people. But partly for domestic politics, partly in the idea that it was battling for the freedom of mankind against the commies (their claim the Viet Cong were puppets of the Chinese made the Vietnam-China war just after we left embarrassing), they did it.

The issue as I see it is that there are interested parties who do bad and the US government sometimes partners with them, and the public who has the votes to stop that is utterly ignorant and complacent about the wrongs in many cases. A basic scenario is that there's a country, and you get a few elite, corrupt people in that country willing to sell out that country to profit, and the US willing to help them do it, and you get a problem.

Imagine Somethingstan has a resource worth a billion dollars. One scenario is for the people of Somethingstan to get benefit from the sale or use of that resource.

But then along comes Mr. Dictator, who says he'll sell the resource to a US company for $250 million; he gets a $50 cut of the deal, the US company gets a $750 million discount.

The only losers are the people of Somethingstan, who are kept in line by the militia of the dictator, who the US government supplies to keep the corporations happy.

Meanwhile, the US people ar efed a line about the wonderful privatization going on but for the nasty rebels, and they ignore the issue. What they certainly don't do is to get informed and organize a movement that's willing to spend enough money and effort to counter the corporate interests and lobbyists and donations to keep the dictator in place.