What would it cost me to water cool

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
k Just update, I got everthing to gether and purged the air out of my WC system.
Problem I ran into is when i tried to take off the heat sink on the I5 CPU it was not easy.
After spending a lot of tiem using a razor blade, I went with using the vice / wood and small hammer method.
This proved to not work very good after a few attemps i saw wear the wood had wore off some of the pcb.I was showing some of the circuit boad.

So I went back to using the razor this took a long time and was about to give up wen it finaly broke free.

I clean off the old thermal paste and applied the new.

I was worried that I destroyed the cpu once i saw wear the circut board was exposed and I was right.

So I have new one on the way and won thave time to take this block off untill this weekend.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Problem I ran into is when i tried to take off the heat sink on the I5 CPU it was not easy.
Brute force isn't necessary. You could've run Prime95 on the system for half an hour under less than ideal conditions till it reaches a constant 80-90C. That should soften the TIM to the point that you could yank the heatsink off and have enough time (seconds) to shutdown the PC, or yank it and place the heatsink back momentarily with your hand as the TIM bond is already broken.

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
The Tim was not problem it was what ever type of glue ort what ever they use to on the heat sink to keep it from moving

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Err why were you removing the CPU block when you had finished filling and purging the system? Also no manufacturer I can think of uses glue to fasten their blocks or heatsinks. I am rather curious as to just what happened in your set up...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Err why were you removing the CPU block when you had finished filling and purging the system? Also no manufacturer I can think of uses glue to fasten their blocks or heatsinks. I am rather curious as to just what happened in your set up...

He's talking about the epoxy that Intel uses to hold the heat spreader onto the silicon for their CPUs.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The Tim was not problem it was what ever type of glue ort what ever they use to on the heat sink to keep it from moving
He's talking about the epoxy that Intel uses to hold the heat spreader onto the silicon for their CPUs.
Finally, that makes sense. You should use proper terms, it should be IHS removal.

You should've sticked with the razor blade method and be patient with it. After all, this is a delicate, expensive component and you don't want any tools that can exert too much force.