what would happen to the US if the yuan or euro became the reserve currency?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
... as in tied to oil like the USD is now? and i mean if it happened quick, within a year or so. would it just be a little rough or a clusterfuck?

P&N, not OT
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There isn't such a thing as "the reserve currency".

Theres currencies that countries keep in reserve though.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
... as in tied to oil like the USD is now? and i mean if it happened quick, within a year or so. would it just be a little rough or a clusterfuck?

The Yuan cannot become a reserve currency, it isn't floating, it can't be floating, and no command economy will ever be a reserve currency.

The Euro will never be a reserve currency until there is a fiscal monetary union. That would mean that every Euro country give up their sovereignty to France, and more importantly, Germany. That ain't ever going to happen.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The Yuan cannot become a reserve currency, it isn't floating, it can't be floating, and no command economy will ever be a reserve currency.

The Euro will never be a reserve currency until there is a fiscal monetary union. That would mean that every Euro country give up their sovereignty to France, and more importantly, Germany. That ain't ever going to happen.

Global reserve currencies.

780px-Global_Reserve_Currencies.png

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
the u.s.d. will be completely dumped from all foreign reserves within the next 10 years. the State of Israel has at least another 125 years before the arabs get their eamon de valera/nelson mandela; I would say the U.S.G. has a maximum of 25 years left before it collapses under its own weight.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
aren't the chinese testing changes to their currency in shanghai at the moment though?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
the u.s.d. will be completely dumped from all foreign reserves within the next 10 years.

Lol. No chance.

What other currency are people going to use? There might (and probably will be) a diversification but the biggest chunk of change banks are going to keep in their back pockets are going to be in dollars for a long time yet.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There are many reserve currencies. The yuan isn't going to be one of them until China undertakes some pretty serious reforms. The weakness of the euro has become pretty apparent in recent years.

Basically, LK nailed it.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
aren't the chinese testing changes to their currency in shanghai at the moment though?

The "changes" are puffery. The "band" it is allowed to float in is a joke and they intervene at the slightest sign of volatility. They know they can't completely float, it'll never work. Their goods would instantly become higher priced, crushing their economy.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Its not likely to happen that the dollar loses its reserve currency status. In order for this to happen another country would have to produce as many currency transactions (buying and selling) as we do, and only China may be able to do that as some additional growth.
I have heard rumors of China buying gold in large quantities with the thought of making the yuan backed by gold. This would greatly increase the chances of the yuan becoming a reserve currency. In such an event the US dollar would lose significant value; however once it becomes cheap enough, the US would see large trade gains as its good are cheaper and the currency would rebound.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonc...the-chinese-buying-record-quantities-of-gold/

angelina87

Banned
Apr 28, 2014
The US will be at the egde of economic fall. While threatening Russia Obama has forgotten to pay attention to our internal economy

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The US will be at the egde of economic fall. While threatening Russia Obama has forgotten to pay attention to our internal economy

I peg the odds that you are actually from the US and are worried about "our internal economy" to be about zero.

Can we ban this idiot already?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Didn't they teach you anything about trolling when they hired you at the Russian foreign ministry?

You suck at distributing propaganda.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
the u.s.d. will be completely dumped from all foreign reserves within the next 10 years. the State of Israel has at least another 125 years before the arabs get their eamon de valera/nelson mandela; I would say the U.S.G. has a maximum of 25 years left before it collapses under its own weight.

That would be a very big shock to all the people who invested into the US after 2008.

Hell, even after the US got downgraded by S&P people just invested more. The theory is that if the US got downgraded to AA+ then the rest of the world must be way worse off, and so it flooded money into our economy.

I think the US could see a decline in people using its currency as a reserve, but it will be very slow and over many decades. No way in 10 years.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The funny thing is that the 2007 fiscal crisis actually proved that the U.S. dollar will continue being the default reserve currency for some time to come.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

No, that's not my plan. Since you believe that, you also should believe my plan. My plan is that in 3 years I will be recognized as lord ruler dictator king of earth. Earth day, will become a celebration of my rule. My reign will last a thousand years, since the secret of the fountain of youth will be revealed in 7 years time, and therefore, I will live. The people will be very happy, since I will learn the alchemical secret of spinning straw to gold. (the secret ingredient of course, is co2), in the process of making my gold palace, I will suck enough co2 out of the atmosphere to cure global warming. Nelson Mandela will come back from the dead, and he will move to Jamaica and hang out with Zombie Bob Marley. The world will live happily for my reign.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, that's not my plan. Since you believe that, you also should believe my plan. My plan is that in 3 years I will be recognized as lord ruler dictator king of earth. Earth day, will become a celebration of my rule. My reign will last a thousand years, since the secret of the fountain of youth will be revealed in 7 years time, and therefore, I will live. The people will be very happy, since I will learn the alchemical secret of spinning straw to gold. (the secret ingredient of course, is co2), in the process of making my gold palace, I will suck enough co2 out of the atmosphere to cure global warming. Nelson Mandela will come back from the dead, and he will move to Jamaica and hang out with Zombie Bob Marley. The world will live happily for my reign.

Can I be minister in charge of hookers and blow?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Since you don't have the balls to tell us you're posting from Russia, who gives a flying fsck at a rolling doughnut what you think?

:mad: :thumbsdown:

So when he said "Obama has forgotten to pay attention to our internal economy" he was telling the truth, it's just a shame that the Putin has forgotten to pay attention to their economy as well.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Since no one wants to actually answer the hypothetical question, I will. The US economy would completely crash overnight and the entire global economy would descend into absolute chaos.
Neighbors would go to war with each other without the US around. So, if it happened suddenly, everyone has as much to lose as the US. It would be the ultimate power vacuum.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Since no one wants to actually answer the hypothetical question, I will. The US economy would completely crash overnight and the entire global economy would descend into absolute chaos.
Neighbors would go to war with each other without the US around. So, if it happened suddenly, everyone has as much to lose as the US. It would be the ultimate power vacuum.

Why do you think that the US economy would crash?
It would probably help your exports TBH.