What would happen if we dropped Saudi Oil?

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
What would happen if we announced that in 2009 we would no longer purchase oil from Saudi Arabia and by 2015 we would not purchase oil from the Middle East at all?

Reasoning behind this: Seems like many of our recent problems stem from that country 9/11 hijackers, extremist Muslims, human rights violations etc.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Nothing would happen. We don't buy from the Saudi's so much as we buy from the market. If we went through the time and expense of separating out Saudi oil from the rest, we would be forced to buy elsewhere. That leaves others buying Saudi oil, or ME oil if you like. Net result? Nothing.

jamesall

Apr 29, 2008
Nothing would happen. We don't buy from the Saudi's so much as we buy from the market. If we went through the time and expense of separating out Saudi oil from the rest, we would be forced to buy elsewhere. That leaves others buying Saudi oil, or ME oil if you like. Net result? Nothing.
If that would be true, US would not buy or boycott oil from Iran

$20 a gallon of gas?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Someone else would buy it.

As long as we are not replacing that oil with imports from another country its still a good idea though.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
We buy around 10% of our oil from the ME -- with most of that coming from the Saudis. All we'd do is buy the oil from somewhere else (Brazil, Russia or just increase how much we receive from Canada and Mexico).

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jamesall
If that would be true, US would not buy or boycott oil from Iran

$20 a gallon of gas?

Oil is distributed in as efficient manner as possible to reduce costs. Tampering with that merely increases the overall price by some percentage. What benefit would there be to that since Iran, Saudi Arabia and the ME as a whole would be unaffected?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Why would we not want to purchase oil from Kuwait? UAE?

Kuwait has been out biggest ally in the M.E.

They have contributed more to us when we needed help than any other nation.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
By the way if we didn't purchase oil from the M.E ...

The U.S military in the M.E would collapse. We purchase all our oil for our military in the M.E from those oil rich Arab nations.

The cost of transporting the oil to the M.E would be HIGH

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
nothing, we don't buy that much oil from the middle east

I think our four biggest suppliers are Canada, Mexico, Venezuela and Nigeria

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Aimster

The U.S military in the M.E would collapse. We purchase all our oil for our military in the M.E from those oil rich Arab nations.

Pull the military, end of problem.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Shrug. We would buy it from some 3rd party who had purchased it from the M.E. The point of origin and method of delivery probably wouldn't change much. The only difference would probably be the payee on the check and the amount.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Darwin333

Shrug. We would buy it from some 3rd party who had purchased it from the M.E. The point of origin and method of delivery probably wouldn't change much. The only difference would probably be the payee on the check and the amount.

That makes no sense at all. We might as well just buy directly from them.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

That makes no sense at all. We might as well just buy directly from them.

Exactly my point.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
as already mentioned, the US doesn't import a vast quantity of oil from the middle east.

as far as I know, almost all of our "foreign" oil comes from Canada and South America.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Getting the troops out of their would solve the problem quite nicely. Then we would could increase our oil from canada or mexico, both of which are closer.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Stiganator
Getting the troops out of their would solve the problem quite nicely. Then we would could increase our oil from canada or mexico, both of which are closer.

We just need to tell those darn Mexicans and Canadians to start producing us more oil damnit!!

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Stiganator

We just need to tell those darn Mexicans and Canadians to start producing us more oil damnit!!

They can just add them to the lawsuit when the dems file against opec.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Oil is fungible, I don't see why it would matter. They'll sell it to country X and we'll buy some more from country Y. It'll work out the same in the end, just with increased shipping costs.