what would happen if no one sped while driving anymore?

Jul 12, 2001
i was driving from houston to baltimore and got to thinking...what would happen if people didnt speed anymore...how much is the average ticket ~$80...then i read on holiday weekends some states can give up to 2,000 speeding tickets...so lets say average 1000, times 52 weekends...so thats over 4 million dollars for 1 state for just weekends...

so all im saying is if people didnt speed A LOT of money would be lost...

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I'm guessing no more speeding tickets.

edit: There are those small towns that survive on speeding tickets alone. But it's not like they're handing out tickets to speeders. They'll get the guy that always does the speed limit by having the speed go from 70 to 35 or something like that. And they make it a PITA to do anything but just pay the ticket.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
On the flip side though, if not as many people sped, or did less idiotic things behind the wheel, you wouldn't have to have states bring out clean up crews and repair crews, and firetrucks and ambulances, and highway patrol officers as often to patch things up.

Would it add up to the totals of speeding fines? Probably not though.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
The cops would probably just find something else to nail people for, no matter how trivial. Gotta fill the city's coffers somehow...

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Traffic would slow down immensely and it would take much longer to get where you want to go.

yruffostsif

Sep 8, 2003
they'd just raise property, gas, liquour, or cigarette tax to make up for the lost income. b@st@rds

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
No more speeding then they would get us for illegal lane changes and things of that nature.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Hmm...

Fewer police officers/cars would be needed (gov't saving money)
Fewer use of emergency/rescue resources (gov't saving money)
Fewer uninsured victims getting free health care (gov't saving money)
Lower insurance premiums on average (consumers saving money)

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
If noone sped then hopefully the cops could turn on all the bastards that refuse to use turn signals! :D

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker
If noone sped then hopefully the cops could turn on all the bastards that refuse to use turn signals! :D

ooh i wish they would. i hate those people!!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: t60
Speeding tickets is just another form of tax.
Exactly. If everyone stopped speeding, they'd just reduce the speed limits until people were speeding again.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Hmm...

No government in all history has ever willingly cut itself. Cops don't get laid off simply because they're aren't needed.

And if you think speeding is so bad, why don't you advocate even lower speed limits? Think of how many lives could be saved if the speed limits on the interstates were reduced to 35 mph!

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
No government in all history has ever willingly cut itself. Cops don't get laid off simply because they're aren't needed.

Huh? What planet's history have you been following? Dude.. governments cut all the time and alot of them are not voter mandated cuts, thus they were intiated and completed without referendum or vote. Especially given this economy. In the midwest I know of several city workers (read police and water) who were laid off because of budget cuts like the ones I mentioned.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: conjur
Hmm...

And if you think speeding is so bad, why don't you advocate even lower speed limits? Think of how many lives could be saved if the speed limits on the interstates were reduced to 35 mph!

I'm not advocating lower speed limits. All I responded with was consequences of people obeying existing speed limits (as posited by the original poster.)

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Spoooon
I'm guessing no more speeding tickets. edit: There are those small towns that survive on speeding tickets alone. But it's not like they're handing out tickets to speeders. They'll get the guy that always does the speed limit by having the speed go from 70 to 35 or something like that. And they make it a PITA to do anything but just pay the ticket.

Hey.... I got caught like that once... this little town in South Carolina that is about two blocks long. The highway ends at the end of a small bridge and the 35 MPH begins at the other... so literally, you have about 70 feet to go from 70 (speed limit) to 35, and two blocks later, pick up to 70s again. Man, I tell you, that sucked big hairy donkey gonads..

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
click it or ticket...

failing to actually stop at a STOP sign
failing to yield right of way
failing to use turn signals
playing music too loud
exhaust too loud
headlights too high or wrong colour
clear tail light lens
tail lights out
license plates dirty/unreadable/covered/missing
expired tags
cracked windshield
driving with pet's head out window
weaving
driving wrong way on one way street
driving after dark with headlights off
driving while talking on phone
driving while receiving oral sex
driving while sleeping
driving while reading...

The list goes on forever!

Things a cop can pull you over for and issue a citation!

Cheers!

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Ohh I don't know that there would be a large impact on safety. There would be a measurable one, but probably not directly resulting from driver A who averages 15mph over the speed limit on his highway commute. More likely, this all inclusive reduction in speed would most directly impact reckless/careless drivers that cruise around residential roads or highways at *unsafe* speeds.

It is of course possible to effectively reduce driver speeding by vast amounts on well populated highways. The best method would be to install automated ticketing systems that would account for all but the reckless drivers (eg: drunk guy in diablo doing 187mph). The fringe benefit of this huge crackdown is it would probably result in legislative pressure to more closely align the speed limit to what's actually safe these days (considering the vast improvements in handling, braking, and reliability in the last decades).