What would happen if fuel were 20$ per gallon?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blinblue

Jul 7, 2006
I would do a little happy dance. The only thing that will drive alternate fuel research is high prices. There are some many potential ways to solve the "problem"

Probably the most promising fuel is biodiesel made from algae, read about it here
Text

Basically you could fuel all the fuel needs in the US (if all engines and such were diesel, which obviously they aren't, but in theory they could be) with only 9.5 million acres of land. That sounds like a lot, but over 500 million acres is used for farm animals. So it really is a drop in the bucket.

One of my cars is converted to run on waste vegetable oil, and it is great driving around for "free" (of course there was a inital investment, and the time required for getting the oil and then filtering it).

Personally, I would welcome $20/gal gas, then perhaps we would see things change :)

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Me thinks that the electric car would make a sudden comeback, and everyone would want to become corn farmers in order to join in on ethanol bandwagon.

Not really, because the cost of electricity would go up, too. Those powerplants don't run on nothing.

Lots of powerplants run on coal, though, and we have enough of that in this country to last for a couple of centuries. Not to mention nuclear power, which isn't Politically Correct to recommend in the US after 9-11, but might make a comeback someday.

uhh, yes it is. Not the rest of the world maybe, but it's okay for us. We just need to shoot all the environmentalists who like coal more than nuclear power. Odds are it?d just be easier to take over the middle east...maybe Norway and Mexico too?Russia might be a little too hard.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Me thinks that the electric car would make a sudden comeback, and everyone would want to become corn farmers in order to join in on ethanol bandwagon.

Not really, because the cost of electricity would go up, too. Those powerplants don't run on nothing.

Lots of powerplants run on coal, though, and we have enough of that in this country to last for a couple of centuries. Not to mention nuclear power, which isn't Politically Correct to recommend in the US after 9-11, but might make a comeback someday.

It would still require YEARS to switch over to other forms of energy.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006

this is a very interesting subject ! and not just interesting like some painting
hanging in a museum, but affect-your-Life interesting.

i suggest listening to one of Matt Simmons lectures. he is an investment
banker in Houston, with about $60 Billion under management (that would
buy a lot of Conroe's, wouldn't it ?)

http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/lectures/660

that's a link to an *.mp3 of one of his recent lectures.

Ken Deffeyes is the name of a retired Princeton geologist.
this is a link to an *.mp3 of one of his recent lectures.
http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/lectures/629

Energy Bulletin is a good news aggregator for energy
related news.
http://www.energybulletin.net/index.php

final question - Mexico's biggest oil field, Cantarell, was 825
feet top to bottom - in early 2006. the water at the bottom
of the well is rising at the rate of about 300 feet per year.

in other words, the biggest oil field of one of America's major
suppliers will be H i s t o r y by the end of 2008.

now, Mexico made a new oil field discovery. it's about 185
miles south of New Orleans. how do you develop a deep water
well that's sitting smack in the middle of Hurricane Alley ?
(very carefully).

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Half the people would probably still have a car. SUVs may be gone but people would still be driving (maybe not as much though).

People have lost the ability to walk.