What would ATOT do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
I am moving out of my current apartment at the end of this month. I voluntarily showed it to a young couple whose ad I saw on my local Craigslist (Chicago).

This is a one bedroom apartment. They want to rent it and have a roommate to cut costs. Understandable, but the realty agency that owns this building wants to charge them more than I pay ($700/mo. incl. steam heat and water). On the basis of this I assume that the couple has told the agency their roommate intentions.

Back when I moved in the agency stressed very sternly that it was being rented only to me, no roommates. That said, the landlord and landlady (employees of the agency) told me when I was having trouble making rent that I could get a roomie. Also, the apartment across the hall from me has been rented by families of four.

This is a good starter apartment, but it is not without its flaws. The building has a flat roof and the apartment has a top floor; consequently there are occasional leak/moisture problems. Haven't had any drips but I have had the ceiling peel and there are cracks and water stains.

There is a rear porch, but it's not well insulated or winterized. I had a space heater in there, and my power bills went to well over $100 (they're normally well under $100). There is no thermostat in the apartment, so heat comes on when it comes on.

Also the water pressure can be problematic. I could be taking a shower and if too many other residents are also showering, no more water for me. This was allegedly worked on during my first week here (three years ago) as evidenced by these pics taken by my old phone cam: Text Text but it was never really fully fixed.

In fairness I should have bugged them about it some more, but I got lazy and gave up. Regardless, that's not the issue here; read on for the big question.

Tonight the couple emailed me and asked me to send them a list of flaws with this place so they could negotiate a lower rent.

I could do this, or I could tell the agency what needs to be looked at.

My feeling is that it would be more right of me to tell the agency what needs attention first. I don't think I'd tell them that their new tenants want to use the conditions as leverage, nor would I keep the list of flaws from the couple.

What would you do? Tell the agency first? Tell the couple first? Not tell one or the other? Just curious as to the ATOT perspective on this.

Cliffs
- moving out of this apartment at the end of this month
- showed it to a couple who want to use it for three people
- agency wants to charge them more than what I've been paying
- couple wants to negotiate on basis of apartment's flaws
- couple has asked me to send them list of flaws
- should I send the list to the couple first, or the agency first?
- what would you do?

Feel free to ask questions if I've left anything out.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Agency first, then the couple. That way, when you give the list to the couple, the apartment agency can't hold it against you.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
So a couple and a roommate want to live in a one bedroom apartment?

Are you sure they are not Mormons? ;)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I would assume the agency would attempt to correct the flaws,.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
- what would you do?

Renew your lease and sub-let the apartment to the couple. :D

Damn, why didn't I think of that? That's good. Wouldn't fly though, the agency doesn't allow subleasing and the landlord/landlady are by at least once a week. And I've already given notice.

Originally posted by: Xanis
Agency first, then the couple. That way, when you give the list to the couple, the apartment agency can't hold it against you.

I agree. I have a new place so it's not like I need their reference, but I think it's the right thing to do, karma and all.

Originally posted by: Newbian
So a couple and a roommate want to live in a one bedroom apartment?

When I originally emailed them I said "you won't have a roommate, but you will have a big place to yourself cheap." I think they should cut the roommate crap but whatever suits them.

Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I would assume the agency would attempt to correct the flaws.

I would think so too, but stay tuned and I'll post a bit more about that, with pics.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
I would email the list to the couple first and then take the same list to the agency for their info as well.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
lemme get this straight...

you're moving out of your current apartment.

you give a crap about who is moving in next / rent they'll pay / who will live there / etc etc

let me know if i got that part right. (i'm assuming it's usually the landlord / rental agency that cares about this type of stuff).

my personal strategy on this one: move out and not give a crap? perhaps i'm being callous here.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75

you give a crap about who is moving in next / rent they'll pay / who will live there / etc etc

let me know if i got that part right. (i'm assuming it's usually the landlord / rental agency that cares about this type of stuff).

my personal strategy on this one: move out and not give a crap? perhaps i'm being callous here.

i agree

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: wiredspider

i agree

True, why do you care?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: illusion88
Originally posted by: wiredspider

i agree

True, why do you care?

Ah, society post-neighborliness. Several decades ago your behavior would have been construed as simple politeness and respect. Now your sanity is questioned. :)

(Not criticizing; I would do the same as suggested by the questioning posters.)

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Steve
My feeling is that it would be more right of me to tell the agency what needs attention first. I don't think I'd tell them that their new tenants want to use the conditions as leverage, nor would I keep the list of flaws from the couple.

Don't over think this. There is no "more right" here. If you want, go ahead and email the prospective tenants the info and you could mention that you will or will not pass the same info to the agency. I'd be more inclined on the former and less on the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.