What would a good first date be?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Aflac
Is ice-skating really such a good first date? I'm seeing myself in this position sometime down the road, but I'm not sure how well it would work out. I barely even KNOW how to ice-skate...

Good idea. Fun and even if you are bad, as long as you aren't afraid to skate (clinging to the rails going realyl slow and not talking), she will have fun. If you are willing to make a complete fool of yourself over the girl (falling on the ice and laughing it off), usually she will have a great time.

I am pretty good at ice skating though, but we will see. :)

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: DaShen
When I ask her out, if she agrees, I am leaning towards ICE SKATING. ;)

My neice's birthday party is in September. Bring her a long as a guest or not a good idea. Of course I would clear it with my sister first. Although dealing with my folks and their incessant badgering about dating again might be tiresome.

Good luck!

Is ice-skating really such a good first date? I'm seeing myself in this position sometime down the road, but I'm not sure how well it would work out. I barely even KNOW how to ice-skate...

I've went ice skating on first date a couple times and it was always a good time for both the girl and myself. And Im horrible at ice skating. I still go in the winter with my gf and some friends and it's always a great time, in fact, I think it's more fun when you don't know how to ice skate.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I voted for ice skating. My real vote was for dinner but I didn't want to elaborate so I changed it to ice skating. Most of the others have drawbacks.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: J Heartless Slick
For the first date try:
A movie and dinner

or

Dinner and a movie

I found that this can be a little too mundane (cliche) for a first date. But I guess if you wow her with your conversation during dinner, the movie is just filler.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
For the first date try:
A movie and dinner

or

Dinner and a movie

Thats a no no. Usually, both parties will be awarethat is in fact a "date." That already makes is awkward. Going to the movie first then dinner is weird because you sit there with a stranger in an awkward situation with no time to talk for 2 hours, then afterwards you sit down to eat at a restaurant tired, and at least one person is wondering and worrying how the movie part of the date went.

If you have dinner first, you might chat a little, then you top the night off with 2 hours of sitting with a person who is still a stranger.

It never works out like it does in the movies.

Ice skating, fishing, going to a fair or carnival, things like that are :thumbsup:

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
For the first date try:
A movie and dinner

or

Dinner and a movie

Ask her if there are any movies she would like to see.

I like Papadeaux for dinner.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Ice skating is one of my favorite first dates. You have fun with each other, let down your defenses, and have a good excuse to touch each other and develop some "heat". You can also get a little competitive banter going. I didn't pick it because I didn't think that you could find a place at this time of year. Bowling is also really good for first dates. Anything that involves "action" is good. After those type of things, a museum/scenic walk/ are the next best options.

I hate fancy dinner places as a first date. It's too formal, too expensive, and too reliant on the two people to have conversation constantly to avoid awkward pauses. Both people are also too conscious about not eating messily. I dislike movies too, because unless it's a horror movie where she's grabbing onto to you and hiding her face in your chest... movies don't do anything to bring the two of you closer together.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Ice skating is one of my favorite first dates. You have fun with each other, let down your defenses, and have a good excuse to touch each other and develop some "heat". You can also get a little competitive banter going. I didn't pick it because I didn't think that you could find a place at this time of year. Bowling is also really good for first dates. Anything that involves "action" is good. After those type of things, a museum/scenic walk/ are the next best options.

I hate fancy dinner places as a first date. It's too formal, too expensive, and too reliant on the two people to have conversation constantly to avoid awkward pauses. Both people are also too conscious about not eating messily. I dislike movies too, because unless it's a horror movie where she's grabbing onto to you and hiding her face in your chest... movies don't do anything to bring the two of you closer together.

do girls over 8 years old really do that? always sounds like something that only happens in the movies.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: yowolabi

do girls over 8 years old really do that? always sounds like something that only happens in the movies.

You mean grabbing you during a horror movie? Definitely. I saw the Ballad of Ricky Bobby last week and had a sensitive girl clutching/bruising my arm and hiding just during the scene where he stuck a knife into his leg.

Edit: She's 25

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
First date *shudder*

Much easier to start out as friends. Then you're already comfortable with them and don't have to put up a front.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Mucho
"A Cheesy Disney Film" How old are you anyway?

Trust me, if the girl is sweet enough (and not all high and mighty), that can always work.

Cars is out. Or you can bring on the nostalgia with an old classic. It makes them more at ease when the movie is something they can just smile at because they have memories of it. Plus, if it was an old classic (rental), you could always talk and joke around during the movie.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Walk in the park is choice for a 1st date! No distractions and all eyes focused on each other - get to know her!

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Walk in the park is choice for a 1st date! No distractions and all eyes focused on each other - get to know her!

Seems like ice skating would be better - more to talk about. A walk in the park is a little boring.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: archcommus
First date *shudder*

Much easier to start out as friends. Then you're already comfortable with them and don't have to put up a front.

Mitigating factors force me to ask her out soon or at least try (she is worth an attempt at asking out even if she says no). I am comfortable with her to an extent anyways. She grew up in the same church as me and went to the same high school. I just never talked to her that much back then although she was really pretty back then, too. I just didn't realize she was such a cool person, too, until recently. Meh, pretty girls are a dime a dozen... girls with an actual compatable personality with yours to match their beauty is harder to find nowadays.

PinmasterJay

Jun 12, 2005

I have a bunch of girl friends that just melt watching a classic Disney movie,
even though they know them all by heart

EDIT BTW I am 22 and so are all the aformentioned females

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: PinmasterJay

I have a bunch of girl friends that just melt watching a classic Disney movie,
even though they know them all by heart

QFT... most nice girls (NOT party girls) will love something like that.

MrMaster

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2001
www.pc-prime.com
hmmm. I like the bowling idea. personally i hate both ice skating and bowling but I would put my vote towards bowling.

Definitely stay away from the dinner and movie thing for the exact reasons people mentioned. Personally, I like to do the nice bar thing with drinks and appetizers. It's casual and if things go well you can always continue the date somewhere else.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: daweeze02
The problem with a movie is you dont get a chance to get to know each other since your are in a movie theatre the entire time.

Yeah, movies are no good for that. If she's smart and you think she's into it I vote the museum one. Or a stroll in the park.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: daweeze02
The problem with a movie is you dont get a chance to get to know each other since your are in a movie theatre the entire time.

Yeah, movies are no good for that. If she's smart and you think she's into it I vote the museum one. Or a stroll in the park.

The museum seems nice, but I think I am going to go for Ice Skating.

Ice Skating > Bowling because it is less smokey.

And I know that the Ice Skating rink is close to home, so it is less intimidating.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
She bangs your brains out, then washes your car for you? Wait, I think I misunderstood the question.....

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: SirChadwick

Seems like ice skating would be better - more to talk about. A walk in the park is a little boring.

Depends on what you do. If you're not a talker... then yea it could get rather boring. All of my walk in the parks have resulted in sex in the woods or nearby dugout!