What will you do to Honor the War Veterans on November 11th - Veteran's Day?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Veteran's Day is Tuesday November 11th

They didn't make the choice to go to war but many of them lost their lives to defend this Great Country.

What will you do to show you respect for their sacrifice and honor their service?

Did you know there are so many vehicles and military people in Iraq right now that they cannot even host some parades this year

I am not sure what I will do, but I will think of something.

Here is the official .gov webpage for Veteran's Day
http://www.appc1.va.gov/vetsday/

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I am a Vietnam veteran. If you choose, I can fax a copy of my DD214 to you. What really bothers me about the whole thing is that many of the veterans lost their lives to pursue a stupid piece of poorly though out foreigh policy. What, were the Vietnames or the Koreans going to attack us. To paraphrase Theodore Roosevelt, "Millions for defense, but not one penny for bullshit." I hope I don't sound bitter. Have a nice day.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
I respect and thank all Veterans for giving just a part of their lives to our country or in the worst case, their life.

That being said, On veterans day I plan to Watch some episodes of Band of Brothers.

The last Justified War in my opinion where we fought for freedom and defeated Tryanny. Every Episode since then has purely been a bullshit foreign policy power grab, IMO.

But I honor the soldiers for doing their job, even as I disagree with the Leaders who gave that Job to them.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Whitling
I am a Vietnam veteran. If you choose, I can fax a copy of my DD214 to you. What really bothers me about the whole thing is that many of the veterans lost their lives to pursue a stupid piece of poorly though out foreigh policy. What, were the Vietnames or the Koreans going to attack us. To paraphrase Theodore Roosevelt, "Millions for defense, but not one penny for bullshit." I hope I don't sound bitter. Have a nice day.

Thank you and all Veterans for your Service and Sacrifice especially those that gave the Ultimate Sacrifice for yours and Our Country.

--- Don't forget Iraq was going to attack in 45 minutes (Tony Blair March 2003)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Whitling

Yep.

Good luck to those who serve today!

As for how I will support our troops, I am going to work against Bush being elected in 2004.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Same here as with Winnie

Shave the Queen - No more Bush !

On a side note -
This morning some of our co-workers are going from area to area asking who are the Vetrans.
They ask when served, what service, and where stationed/deployed.
They are personally thanking each Vet for their service time, and extending a warm handshake with the thank yous.

(101st re-deploys in Feburary - Some will come home then)

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
US blocks payout to Gulf war veterans

Julian Borger in Washington
Tuesday November 11, 2003
The Guardian

The Bush administration has blocked compensation for US soldiers captured and tortured during the first Gulf war, arguing that the money was now needed for Iraq's reconstruction, veterans' lawyers said yesterday.

Seventeen former prisoners of war were awarded nearly $1bn (£600m) in compensatory and punitive damages by a US federal court in July.

The awards were supposed to have been paid out of $1.7bn in seized Iraqi assets, but the administration stepped in to prevent them receiving the money on the grounds that it had been confiscated from the Iraqi government in March and was therefore the property of the US government.

The civilian head of the US-run occupation in Iraq, Paul Bremer, testified in the case with a sworn statement: "These funds are critical to maintaining peace and stability in Iraq. Restricting these funds as a result of this litigation would affect adversely the ability of the United States to achieve security and stability in the region."

etc.

---------

Yep, Halliburton definitely needs to earn more money.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
My 8 year old grandson (whom I am raising) has a school program today at 2:30 in which the students of his class have pinned to their shirts pictures of their fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers in uniform that served their country with honor and dignity. It is an honor to witness my grandson , in his cubscout uniform, call up the color guard in his schools assembly program with my picture (viet nam) my father (korea and viet nam) and my father in law (WWII and Korea) on his chest. And he is as proud as he can be that we served and he was called to this charge in the assembly at his school.

Brings tears to my eyes. I am so honored by this.
rose.gif

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
All the active members that are here today at work are wearing uniforms. All veterans have a ribbon delcaring their branch of service and years. I'm proud of all of them.

Thumbs down to all you threadcrappers. But we already know where you stand.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
A hearty thank you to all the vets past and present.

A story I like to tell on Veterans Day -

My dad and his brothers and sister all served during WWII. My dad never liked to talk about his 'war days' with his sons, but we'd (me and my brothers) would sneak downstairs and listen to them talk when they got together in the basement. Because he never talked about it much (maybe I just never asked enough), I don't know many details about his service. But the detail I love to tell is this...my dad, Uncle Bud, Uncle Louie, Uncle Chris, Uncle Roy, and Aunt Irene all served (almost the whole family on my dad's side). Not only did they all come back alive, but they all (except Chris who was in the Pacific) met up during the war in a little cafe in Europe (I want to say France but I'm not sure). My dad told me that the coldest he'd ever been was while he was in a town called Bastogne (look it up ;) ) My Uncle Bud used to tell me that his unit was the one portrayed in the movie The Big Red One...but he was always BSing so who knows? My Uncle Louie learned to cut hair while over there, and became a barber after the war. Irene was a nurse (as you probably guessed). And Roy is a question mark to me...I don't know where he fought. Sadly Chris took his own life shortly after coming home. My dad said he saw too many ghosts from his service in the Pacific. My dad was the last one of his family to pass away. He died in 2001. He's buried in the town he grew up in (Big Rapids, MI)...along side his brothers and sister. Whenever I go visit his grave, it makes me proud to see the row of military emblems along side a row of tombstones, knowing each one of those tombstones bears the name of a family member.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
My 8 year old grandson (whom I am raising) has a school program today at 2:30 in which the students of his class have pinned to their shirts pictures of their fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers in uniform that served their country with honor and dignity. It is an honor to witness my grandson , in his cubscout uniform, call up the color guard in his schools assembly program with my picture (viet nam) my father (korea and viet nam) and my father in law (WWII and Korea) on his chest. And he is as proud as he can be that we served and he was called to this charge in the assembly at his school.

Brings tears to my eyes. I am so honored by this.
rose.gif

Wow, that is awesome TS.

:beer::cool::beer:

rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif