What will be the die size of the Orochi Bulldozer?

How large will Orochi be?

• less than 175mm2

• 176mm2 to 225mm2

• 226mm2 to 275mm2

• Greater than 276mm2

Results are only viewable after voting.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Phenom II x4, Gulftown (hexcore on 32nm) and Core i7 quad core (45nm) are all approximately 240-260mm2.

What die size do you think AMD targeted for Orochi (octo-core bulldozer on 32nm)?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Voted 176-225mm^2.

From what we know of BD...if it were built on the existing 45nm process I wouldn't expect the core-logic area for 4 modules to be all that much larger than the core logic area for the 6 logic cores of a Thuban.

Take that and shrink its die area thanks to 32nm. It gets smaller than thuban. Add in more cache than what thuban has and it grows a little.

Frankly I'd be surprised if an 8-core bulldozer (4 module) with all the extra cache is any larger than an X4 Phenom II in 45nm process. (258mm^2)

But I want to be optimistic, so I voted that it would <225mm^2 :)

Dekasa

Mar 25, 2010
Awesome, I voted the same as IDC without reading, I feel good about myself.

I also went 176-225 because I figure it'd be 15-20&#37; + die shrink = a bit smaller than current Phenom IIs.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Does anyone have ideas on how faster clockspeeds/Higher Ghz would impact xtor size and thus die size for Bulldozer?

Do faster xtors need to be larger?

Awesome, I voted the same as IDC without reading, I feel good about myself.

Thank you for the vote. For anyone else contemplating on voting please notice I set the poll to anonymous.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Does anyone have ideas on how faster clockspeeds/Higher Ghz would impact xtor size and thus die size for Bulldozer?

Thank you for the vote. For anyone else contemplating on voting please notice I set the poll to anonymous.

switching speed has a rollover point versus xtor length so there will be a minimum length for which the switching time is also a minimum (what we laymen think of as a transistor "width" from all those fancy SEM cross-sections is actually the length of a xtor, the width runs perpendicular).

The question you are asking though is really quite complicated if you aren't familiar with circuit design.

I'd love to see Ctho9305 or TuxDave break it down for the general audience, take it away fella's! :thumbsup:

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
I voted for 226mm^2 to 275mm^2

I'm thinking Orochi will have at least 8MB L3 cache, with that, I'd say it'll be between that range, although probably closer to 226mm^2. Maybe ~240mm^2 or so :)

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000

switching speed has a rollover point versus xtor length so there will be a minimum length for which the switching time is also a minimum (what we laymen think of as a transistor "width" from all those fancy SEM cross-sections is actually the length of a xtor, the width runs perpendicular).

The question you are asking though is really quite complicated if you aren't familiar with circuit design.

I'd love to see Ctho9305 or TuxDave break it down for the general audience, take it away fella's! :thumbsup:
I don't think you can figure out anything useful with this line of reasoning. However, I find the relationship between sizing and area to be an interesting topic, so if you ask questions, I will try to answer them.

As for why you can't go anywhere from here: you could build an 800MHz ARM Cortex A9 and a 2GHz one, and the 2GHz one will be bigger (6.7mm^2 vs 4.6mm^2 on TSMC 40G)... but they're the same microarchitecture. You could probably use pretty small gates on a design like Intel's canceled Tejas and still end up with a very high frequency (<10 gates in a cycle), while you'll never get much speed even with arbitrary large gates if you're building an Intel 80386 clone (I vaguely remember learning that it had something like 80 gates in a cycle).

ARM's marketing information for their standard cell libraries might have some interesting tidbits to prompt more questions, but I haven't read through it myself.

Skolomerija

Sep 6, 2010
is it possible to put l3 cache on separate layer (3D tech.?) and with that to shrink die size?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forums Skolomerija!

The quick answer to your question is that yes, absolutely, it is possible.

The process is called chip-stacking and it happens already in the flash industry and set to become the standard required for producing the ram densities needed for DDR4 in another 2 yrs.

The challenge with stacking L3$ is of course the speed - stacking doesn't make the stacked chips any faster just because they are stacked - and the heat dissipation.

Intel has been public about there work in the area of chip stacking with cpu's and they have concluded that at this point in time the benefits do not outweigh the downsides so they aren't planning to implement this.

StackeddramunderIHS.jpg

For more discussion see this thread.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
The process is called chip-stacking and it happens already in the flash industry and set to become the standard required for producing the ram densities needed for DDR4 in another 2 yrs.

With regard to the stacked DDR4 mentioned, does anyone know how much of an issue heat dissipation becomes? Would it be enough to force lower memory speeds in order to maintain reasonable component life?

JFAMD

May 16, 2009
The biggest challenge is the heat density and routing. You want the hottest component on top, closest to the heat sink. But the pins are on the bottom of the package.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
With regard to the stacked DDR4 mentioned, does anyone know how much of an issue heat dissipation becomes? Would it be enough to force lower memory speeds in order to maintain reasonable component life?

You can break out your favorite text translator or brush up on your Kanji and checkout these two Goto-san articles:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20100823_388253.html

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20100816_387444.html

kaigai-10.jpg

Power density is definitely going to increase. But it is low already (unless you've got 64 dimms populated :p) so doubling an already small number still leaves you with a small number.

tatertot

Nov 30, 2009
~300 mm^2

I think some people are forgetting about all the "uncore" stuff that is needed (big L3 cache, IMC, northbridge, hypertransport links), and that the modules are each likely to come with 2MB of L2.

Either that, or they don't realize this is a 4-module/8-core die.

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
~300 mm^2

I think some people are forgetting about all the "uncore" stuff that is needed (big L3 cache, IMC, northbridge, hypertransport links), and that the modules are each likely to come with 2MB of L2.

Either that, or they don't realize this is a 4-module/8-core die.

Its not a intel chip. There is alot of streamlining and resource utilization change in the architecture that make it very unlike previous products intel and AMD offered. Before we just had two slightly different flavors of koolaid. Lemonade and Pink lemonade. Now we are getting Straberry fruit juice and pink lemonade.