What will American society look like when the chokehold of economic depression tightens her grip?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
So what do you think America is going to look like in a couple of years in the face of what is happening to our dollar? Do you picture long lines at the unemployment office as unemployment spirals beyond 15 or 20%?
Drugs and crime running rampant as citizens grow poorer and increasingly discontent?
Labor disputes that rival the upheaval of when the big unions began in America?
What's your outlook on the coming years in the good'ol U.S.A?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
It looks bleak... The truth is that you cannot put blame on anyone person or group for this though. We are all responsible, or at least every group in the country is responsible for this depression or whatever you want to call it.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: shinerburke
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You can't be serious?

You people have been saying that to me for two years.
I warned you all of the the dollars triple bottom breakdown eight months ago and you still didn't listen. When will you listen?
1+1=2. The math is so simple I just don't understand why people cannot comprehend what is happening.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
When will you realize that no one takes your economic analysis seriously? You're a laymen of the worse kind. You're probably so poorly informed on this matter that you don't even realize the opportunity that opens up when a weak dollar is present; more domestic exports, benefiting our firms and increasing foreign investment in U.S. capital markets. This nonsense about the weakening dollar is just sad. Seriously, take an Intro to Econ course or something.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
When will you realize that no one takes your economic analysis seriously? You're a laymen of the worse kind. You're probably so poorly informed on this matter that you don't even realize the opportunity that opens up when a weak dollar is present; more domestic exports, benefiting our firms and increasing foreign investment in U.S. capital markets. This nonsense about the weakening dollar is just sad. Seriously, take an Intro to Econ course or something.

The dollar isn't weakening?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ No, the dollar is weakening. The people acting like a weakening dollar is something that will put the market into a deep depression are just laughably misinformed. Typical poorly misinformed Paulbot economics.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I think that the weakening dollar is just one thing people are concerned about if i am not mistaken. The implosion of the credit system that has been partially fueling the economy is another big concern. Is that not a big deal?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

I would my economic analysis over the past year up against yours any day of the week. Maybe i'll let you search our previous posts before you agree to any such notion.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ Credit is a concern, certainly. The components of a recession are certainly in place. But remember that the OP is claiming depression, a far different characterization that is quite different in economic terms from the term "recession" or "economic downturn". The components of a depression are highly unlikely and even economists like Paul Krugman, typically overly-bearish, doesn't see a depression as likely. And he even thinks we could see a 0% rate on the key Fed interest rates and a Japanese-style liquidity trap, yet still isn't predicting depression.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
^ No, the dollar is weakening. The people acting like a weakening dollar is something that will put the market into a deep depression are just laughably misinformed. Typical poorly misinformed Paulbot economics.

You don't think runaway inflation can cause a depression?
I rest my case.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Perry404

I would my economic analysis over the past year up against yours any day of the week. Maybe i'll let you search our previous posts before you agree to any such notion.

Your economic analysis is wholly bunk, mostly copy and pasted from Paulbo sources. Nothing you have said is anything particularly new or interesting, nor has it impressed anyone. In fact, I'd like to hear in your own words what you have predicted over the last several months that has come to fruition other than stating that the dollar was going to get much weaker, something that was being predicted by basically anyone in the know as far back as 1+ years ago.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

I rest my case.

Is there runaway inflation right now? Exactly. Your completely misinformed notion that inflation will become "runaway" just because the Fed is cutting interest rates to spur investment is, again, laughably misinformed. It ignores all sorts of other things the Federal Reserve and Federal gov't can do to thrawt inflation and increase output. It's why no one here takes your economic analysis seriously.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

I rest my case.

Is there runaway inflation right now? Exactly. Your completely misinformed notion that inflation will become "runaway" just because the Fed is cutting interest rates to spur investment is, again, laughably misinformed. It ignores all sorts of other things the Federal Reserve and Federal gov't can do to thrawt inflation and increase output. It's why no one here takes your economic analysis seriously.

Your insults are hilarious. I'll let my posting history speak for itself and yours for you. Come back in a year and spout the same stuff you were a year ago.
Hate to tell you this but there are many people here who agree with my outlook and their numbers are increasing as their pocketbooks shrink.
Again come back in a year and share with us how well the housing market has recovered and unemployment is low. How the dollar has increased in value and prices are coming down.
Let's see how that works for ya.
I think you'll find in time that none of this is going to happen when the fed is printing 10 or 20 billion dollars a week to loan to banks that will never pay the money back. How does a nation recover when we're spending trillions of dollars overseas and raising interest rates to fight wars all the while borrowing the money from other nations because we can't afford to pay for it ourselves.
I can't imagine the magic trick some of you are imagining the government or the market is going to pull out of its ear to get us out of this mess but I'll bet it's a dandy.
Best of luck to ya!:D

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ As I said, back up what you supposedly "predicted" and get back to us. Bernanke himself has admitted that borrowing at the current rate the federal gov't is borrowing at is not sustainable long-term and that is well known by all economists and has been repeated ad nauseum by GAO officials for years now (gov't programs such as Social Security and Medicare being one of the many burdens that makes it difficult to borrow for extended periods of time without significant tax increases). The fact that you can't even acknowledge the low and stable nature of inflation over the last 20+ years (yes, without gold-backed money!) is yet another of many clues into just how little you understand about this economy or any world economy. How you also completely fail to acknowledge that equity investment in the U.S. has been stable for over 200+ years steadily returning 7% annually on the mean, better than bonds or bills, a trend that has been empirically verified in dozens of other countries. This does not compute in your fantasy, Paulbot conspiracy theory world of yours. It's probably because you never got the proper education, and while I really hate to keep harping on that, because as you said it's insulting, in your case it's absolutely true. You have no background to speak of, yet talk as if you have the slightest clue what this economy is capable of all while continuing to fail to explain what you would do to help mitigate aggregate economic swoons, which are no worse now (in fact, they're much better) than they were when money was backed by gold.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ Btw, funny thing about your sig; Jefferson was convinced of the perils of industrialization and had a strong and steady attachment to the ideals of yeomen farmers and did everything in his power to support that end. Boy, good thing industrialization never took hold, we'd be back in the stone age. :roll: