What were the worst things Obama did?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well I thought it was far fetched but will concede I am ignorant on to this subject so will assume you are right. Thanks.
There are already examples of transwoman absolutely dominating at the high school level in several different sports. I think allowing this to happen goes completely against the original intent of Title 9.

I'll admit, I haven't seen any evidence the people have transitioned just to win at sports. I have just seen how people are about sports, and I really don't think it is that far fetched that a very tiny faction of a percentage of men would transition just to be winners. Especially, since IIRC under Obama's rules they didn't even have to be on hormone therapy.

As an easy example of the extremes people will go through, look at elite female gymnastics. Thousands of girls drop out of school and practice 6-8 hours a day every day starting at age 10, for the shot of getting on the national team that has 12 spots. Of those 12, once every 4 years 4 of them will get to go to the Olympics. Then in addition to dropping out of school, having no life beyond the sport, literally hundreds upon hundreds were molested by the national team doctor over 20 years. Yet, they kept with it, didn't speak out, and kept going to that docter because that's what they thought it took. Many of their parents were in the room when it happened too.

People are fucking crazy about winning, and when you are talking about elite levels, you are talking about extremes. The national gymnastics team of 12 girls, represents approximately 0.00022% of the total number of 5.8M girls in the sport.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v36/n08/seymour-m.-hersh/the-red-line-and-the-rat-line

I've posted the Hersh writing multiple times over the years, and I will say there are huge questions over his assertions with the chemical weapons. HOWEVER, that part is fairly immaterial to the point I am highlighting with regards to our arms trade from Libya to Syrian rebels. The United States was fueling the conflict in Syria with the aid of Turkey. We were working to repeat what had just occurred in Libya.

Here is another writing on it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/mi6-cia-and-turkey-s-rogue-game-syria-9256551.html

You said "Fermenting the Syrian civil war as a sequel to Libya." which would indicate you think Hillary was responsible for causing at a minimum the Syrian civil war. Do you believe she was the cause of Syrian civil war? how about Libya?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
There are already examples of transwoman absolutely dominating at the high school level in several different sports. I think allowing this to happen goes completely against the original intent of Title 9.

I'll admit, I haven't seen any evidence the people have transitioned just to win at sports. I have just seen how people are about sports, and I really don't think it is that far fetched that a very tiny faction of a percentage of men would transition just to be winners. Especially, since IIRC under Obama's rules they didn't even have to be on hormone therapy.

As an easy example of the extremes people will go through, look at elite female gymnastics. Thousands of girls drop out of school and practice 6-8 hours a day every day starting at age 10, for the shot of getting on the national team that has 12 spots. Of those 12, once every 4 years 4 of them will get to go to the Olympics. Then in addition to dropping out of school, having no life beyond the sport, literally hundreds upon hundreds were molested by the national team doctor over 20 years. Yet, they kept with it, didn't speak out, and kept going to that docter because that's what they thought it took. Many of their parents were in the room when it happened too.

People are fucking crazy about winning, and when you are talking about elite levels, you are talking about extremes. The national gymnastics team of 12 girls, represents approximately 0.00022% of the total number of 5.8M girls in the sport.

Gymnastics seems like a poor example since the girls who excel are the opposite of masculine.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Gymnastics seems like a poor example since the girls who excel are the opposite of masculine.
Yeah, it was an example of just how extreme people take sports, and the tiny fraction of people that make it to elite levels. One that I had good verifiable examples of off the top of my head.

Pretty every other sport, though, being physically male is a huge benefit.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Yeah, it was an example of just how extreme people take sports, and the tiny fraction of people that make it to elite levels. One that I had good verifiable examples of off the top of my head.

Pretty every other sport, though, being physically male is a huge benefit.
Outside of tennis they are also drastically less popular. This is especially true when it comes to professional sports.

Now that I think about it, the cross section of elite athletes and who are also transgender has to be incredibly small. Unless you think people are going to pretend to be transgender to try and cheat the system, I just can't imagine this becoming an issue.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's uncomfortable to think about how good we had it during the Obama years, compared to now. The man had intelligence, empathy, pragmatic common sense, a hard work ethic, not to mention a killer sense of humor.

*sigh* But we lost the 44 Mag and still suffer the bullshit of a 45(5) Webley.

There were things I didn't appreciate in the Obama years though, issues I thought he let us down on. Whistleblowers, giving WallStreet a pass, not doing more to dissuade Chinese and Russian aggression and theft, not playing hardball with proto-treasonous republicans. But the good far outweighed the bad overall. He repaired the economic damage he inherited and turned Osama bin Laden into fish food. When viewed against the failure of Il Douche the Russian asset, Obama looks like a damn saint. I hope we see him as a Supreme Court justice, we need several more now after all.

But too bad about the whole being half black, having a middle name that causes republican sphincters to clench. Why, he even likes Grey Poupon mustard. It's really his fault millions of party before country Americans lost their damn minds. So yeah, again, thanks Obama.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Worst thing he ever did? Make a fool of donny... see how that turned out.

Here's the thing though, Trump has been chasing the spotlight of politics since the 80s. While I agree he was made a fool of, his ambition and usefulness to Putin were both well established before that dinner.

Remember back in '88, when he tried to butt into Cold War politics and got duped by a Gorbachev impersonator, but didn't catch on? Americans didn't seem to care too much. The Russians never forgot, and would go on to use him in other ways prior to priming him for a serious run at office. The influx of Russian money before the 2016 race, how he's underwritten by a Russian state owned bank, everything, it all would have happened regardless of him getting the Lion King treatment.

Seth Myers probably should shoulder some of the blame if humiliating dipshit at a dinner event was triggering. Then again, Myers is a white guy.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Outside of tennis they are also drastically less popular. This is especially true when it comes to professional sports.

Now that I think about it, the cross section of elite athletes and who are also transgender has to be incredibly small. Unless you think people are going to pretend to be transgender to try and cheat the system, I just can't imagine this becoming an issue.
Then why update Title 9 to allow it, if no one wants to do it?

My main issue is that regardless of reason for becoming transgender, physical males should not be allowed into women's sports leagues. The separation is due to biological differences between men and women, not gender constructs. The why someone transitioned is really beside the point.

In nearly every sport the handful of trans women would raise to the top. Tennis for example, the #125 male could decide to transition, regardless of reason, and become the #1 female player in the world overnight.

Regardless, this isn't even a top 20 issue for me, just something I disagreed with Obama on.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Then why update Title 9 to allow it, if no one wants to do it?

My main issue is that regardless of reason for becoming transgender, physical males should not be allowed into women's sports leagues. The separation is due to biological differences between men and women, not gender constructs. The why someone transitioned is really beside the point.

In nearly every sport the handful of trans women would raise to the top. Tennis for example, the #125 male could decide to transition, regardless of reason, and become the #1 female player in the world overnight.

Regardless, this isn't even a top 20 issue for me, just something I disagreed with Obama on.

Fair enough and I agree. For me this isn't even a top 10,000 issue though which is where I think we differ.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Remember that time the professor historian/PBS TV host was arrested for "breaking in" to his own locked house by a white cop, then Obama invited both of them to the White House for beers to help relax the rising racial tensions across the nation?

What a putz.

Reactions: dawp

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Remember that time the professor historian/PBS TV host was arrested for "breaking in" to his own locked house by a white cop, then Obama invited both of them to the White House for beers to help relax the rising racial tensions across the nation?

What a putz.
I had forgot all about that. Obama rightfully called the cop who arrested Henry Louis Gates Jr. stupid and the Fox crowd went wild. Then they continued to attack him for setting up the beer summit.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You said "Fermenting the Syrian civil war as a sequel to Libya." which would indicate you think Hillary was responsible for causing at a minimum the Syrian civil war. Do you believe she was the cause of Syrian civil war? how about Libya?

We took arms from Libya and armed Syria. That's fuel to the fire. It's no secret that the US was involved in Syria. Yet you seem confused when the subject is raised.

2013: US Senator John McCain visits rebels

War in the Middle East is bipartisan despite the partisan turn Iraq took during the 2004 election. Leadership on both sides were still Neocon. Obama wasn't one, but he surrounded himself with them and their policy shone through despite him.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
We took arms from Libya and armed Syria. That's fuel to the fire. It's no secret that the US was involved in Syria. Yet you seem confused when the subject is raised.

2013: US Senator John McCain visits rebels

War in the Middle East is bipartisan despite the partisan turn Iraq took during the 2004 election. Leadership on both sides were still Neocon. Obama wasn't one, but he surrounded himself with them and their policy shone through despite him.

No I am calling you out on your quote. Read what I wrote and reply again. In that context, your choice of words implies Obama's Secretary of State incited the Syrian civil war. I simply pointed out that that is factually incorrect.

Maybe go edit your original post?

Keep in mind I have not and don't plan on reading any of your links. Obama handled the middle east situation as well as he could have. Did he do a great job , no but he sure didn't deserver the level of outrage he received. I don't see anyone in his situation doing a better job. This was my entire point in creating the thread. Unlike trump most of the criticism of Obama was not warranted.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
This is it unfortunately.

I mean, Donald Jessica deserved it, but damn, unintended consequences....

For reals, though i can't imagine anyone would have guessed at the time that Trump would then go on to be president after that dinner

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
That also isn't my main point at all, feel free to respond to the rest of it. However, all elite athletes are extremely rare, and I don't think it's far fetched to see transwomen dominating elite women's sports.

I do not think a transgender would or could be “elite” because of the biological and psychological impacts of being transgender. I know this sounds bad (it is not how this is meant), but you have to be hyper on the scale and someone who is trans may not get to that level. Yes a male who wants to be a woman can hit a tennis ball faster than a woman and might be taller to reach shots other women cannot, but they cannot keep up with the quickness and flexibility. I would think Serena would beat most professional men’s tennis players. That is what “elite” is. It is the best attributes of being a human of that specific sex on hyperdrive.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I had forgot all about that. Obama rightfully called the cop who arrested Henry Louis Gates Jr. stupid and the Fox crowd went wild. Then they continued to attack him for setting up the beer summit.

Yup. It's much more presidential to defend despots who assassinate with bone saws or poison, or take meetings with them in private with no official witnesses allowed or transcript released. Remember how dejected Trump looked and how elated Putin was? One of those body language moments that really sticks in my mind.

May our stay in the upside down end soon.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

As a person who at one point in their lives was a upper tier athlete, I disagree with you. There are points in development where this may happen, but it happens already. Some girls grow tall well before boys. Again at that level of ability, the mental pressure, the desire, the all encompassing effort, makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for a person who is also fighting an inner being of oneself. Maybe they can to a point, but eventually things break down. The physical composition of each sex is different and the sports are designed in a way that allows that sex to perform them. Yes there are women to can play in the NBA, maybe MLB, PGA, WTA. There are limits to that though. Can a transgender person play in the WPGA? Maybe. Gymnastics, no way. Tennis, maybe. You are under estimating the physical characteristics and the mental aspects of being “elite.”

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I don't mean any disrespect to those that are heavy into sports. But should the damage, or changes transgenders do to sports, really be on the list of importance or concerns, when there are vastly more important issues such as mental, physiological, and social issues that transgender face? Any current issues where sports are concerned, will balance out in a short amount of time in comparison, once it becomes the accepted normal and guidelines are put in place to keep competitions fair and balanced. Sports have always been forever changing and evolving thru out time due to the changes of society and technology.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I don't mean any disrespect to those that are heavy into sports. But should the damage, or changes transgenders do to sports, really be on the list of importance or concerns, when there are vastly more important issues such as mental, physiological, and social issues that transgender face? Any current issues where sports are concerned, will balance out in a short amount of time in comparison, once it becomes the accepted normal and guidelines are put in place to keep competitions fair and balanced. Sports have always been forever changing and evolving thru out time due to the changes of society and technology.

Not that I think it is the case with Zorba but I believe most of the discussions around anything transgender spawn from prejudice.

Reactions: NWRMidnight
Nov 8, 2012
Not that I think it is the case with Zorba but I believe most of the discussions around anything transgender spawn from prejudice.

Hahahahahahahaha.... ohhh it never gets old. The ol' If you aren't one of us then you <can't have an opinion / won't ever know what it's like / other propaganda used in an attempt to shut down criticism>

Keep it classy.

Wait until it's your daughter competing with them and they clobber the shit out of your kid.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The worst thing I personally remember Obama doing during his tenure was coming to Connecticut to have a rally to celebrate the passage of the Connecticut "assault weapons" ban after the Sandy Hook school shooting. Even here in Connecticut, it was not popular legislation, and basically got rammed through on a party line vote. When he came here to promote the new laws, I remember him saying something along the lines "Everyone here in Connecticut supports sensible gun laws, so why can't the rest of the country?"

His idea of "everyone" left a lot to be desired in my mind. Many of my friends and co-workers were literally standing in lines in front of gun stores that week trying to purchase the guns that were about to be banned from sale. Obama might have said a lot of things that I disagreed with during his term, but that's one of the few times I caught him telling a bald faced lie. The very next day, I changed my voter registration from Democrat to Independent, where it's been ever since.

Honestly, I think that it was stunts like this that caused post Obama politics to become as polarized as they have.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I do not think a transgender would or could be “elite” because of the biological and psychological impacts of being transgender. I know this sounds bad (it is not how this is meant), but you have to be hyper on the scale and someone who is trans may not get to that level. Yes a male who wants to be a woman can hit a tennis ball faster than a woman and might be taller to reach shots other women cannot, but they cannot keep up with the quickness and flexibility. I would think Serena would beat most professional men’s tennis players. That is what “elite” is. It is the best attributes of being a human of that specific sex on hyperdrive.
Serena can't beat even "mediocre" professional men, though. Her and Venus were both destroyed by the #203 male, after he drank a couple beers before the match.

Other sports like track, soccer, basketball, softball, etc would have similar massive disparities between males and females. Even winter sports like skiing and snowboarding there is world's of difference between the sexes.

I think you lack an understanding of just how far apart the sexes are in most sports that over lap. I didn't really get it until the last winter Olympics when they had women doing the same snowboard cross track as the men and there were an insane number of injuries and did not finishes.

I do agree with you the vast majority of transgender people are not going to become elite woman athletes, but it only takes a couple to dominate a sport. And not in a MJ or Tiger Woods way, but in a NFL vs High School way.

Last edited:
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The worst thing I personally remember Obama doing during his tenure was coming to Connecticut to have a rally to celebrate the passage of the Connecticut "assault weapons" ban after the Sandy Hook school shooting. Even here in Connecticut, it was not popular legislation, and basically got rammed through on a party line vote. When he came here to promote the new laws, I remember him saying something along the lines "Everyone here in Connecticut supports sensible gun laws, so why can't the rest of the country?"

His idea of "everyone" left a lot to be desired in my mind. Many of my friends and co-workers were literally standing in lines in front of gun stores that week trying to purchase the guns that were about to be banned from sale. Obama might have said a lot of things that I disagreed with during his term, but that's one of the few times I caught him telling a bald faced lie. The very next day, I changed my voter registration from Democrat to Independent, where it's been ever since.

Honestly, I think that it was stunts like this that caused post Obama politics to become as polarized as they have.
Because real men need military assault style rifles to hunt varmint and the such. Damn that Obama. I mean you do realize there was a federal ban on assault style weapons in 1994 that lasted 10 years. You didn't know the Democratic position on sensible gun laws already?

Shit I heard Obummer was coming to take all the guns away after he killed grandma with his death panels.