What were some of the finest hours you've had with a game?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BathroomFeeling

Apr 26, 2007
Most fun I'd ever had was when I first started playing UO. Was around when it was released, so it was still really new for everyone. Played Baja, Lake Superior, and Siege Perilous.
Ah yes, who can forget their very first time? Checkit.

I had just purchased UO for the first time on a nice Autumn day. The sun was shining outside, with blue skies all around. The raging summer heat had just left a few weeks earlier, and a cool dry wind was blanketing my futuristic city. It was a memorable day, perfect for entering a whole new world. My classmates, who had purchased UO months earlier, were all busy recruiting and running important errands within the game. One of them was tasked to look after me & "show me the ropes", he was waiting for me in Britain. After downloading all the patches, I logged in and... I wasn't sure which part of the world I was in. My classmate handler asked me to meet up with him in the city of Britain. No... prob? I think I was in Britain, I wasn't completely sure. He asked to meet him up in the bank, a building with a green sign with coins in them. I looked & looked around, even stopped to ask for directions from a stranger on horseback. He frickin' ran away! So I looked some more, it was a damn large city. I finally found it, and told my classmate on ICQ so. He looked for me, I looked for him. But we never found each other! He then asked to describe what the floor & bank walls looked like, and I said "a sort of cream". I could almost picture him slapping his forehead... "You're in the wrong city BathroomFeelings!!", said he. I looked at the nice cloth map, which was given to all UO box purchases, for directions. And sure enough, I wasn't in Britain, I was in Trinsic, a city far south! So after much deliberation between my other classmates through ICQ, it was decided it would be better if I "ran through the wilderness back to Britain".

ಠ_ಠ

I would be completely and utterly alone, to run and walk across half the world, with no skill, no horse, no weapon, nothing! In those early days, I was indeed scared shitless! So I ran. I ran on the road, and confirmed every corner with the cloth map I had. Suddenly I encountered 'people' standing next to what looked like tents! I assumed they were players out to get me, so I ran off road! Small animals gave me heart attacks whenever they popped into view. I encountered one angry Mongbat who almost killed me. I saw a cow. Some birds. I imagine it probably was a nice day in-game too if I wasn't scared shitless. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally finally made it to the safety of the city! Back in Trinsic, it was almost barren, but here in Britain, it was like a wet market. I managed to find my classmate friend through the chaos, and it was at that point that my magnificent adventure began. That was like 14 years now. Time seems really eager to leave me.

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
def the scene in metal gear solid for ps1 where mantis (believe that was his name) messes with your tv screen and controller such a great moment in gaming

Definitely. Breaking that 4th wall in games isn't tried nearly enough and I don't know why. It got better if you had previous Konami game saves from other games on the memory card. Then actually figuring out how to kill him was a stroke of genius. That game is still top 5 for me all time.

My finest hour would honestly be with Super Metroid. Once you get down and Mother Brain is about to blast you. Then the final Metroid comes to your rescue (something I thought might happen but wasn't sure). After you get all powered up it's nothing but bad-assery from there. Such an awesome game and very cinematic, especially for a SNES game.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm.... Had quite a few TFC matches back in the day when my bro and I would team up and dominate servers.

Otherwise in Wow there were some good times when we took down bosses after many wipe attempts.... but I really only liked raiding in Vanilla wow.

I also very fondly recall playing a game of Total Annihilation Core Contingency. It was a 4 player match, every man for himself. I used to always win, so my brother and 2 of my friends all decided to attack me 1st to get me out of the picture. I held them off for a good 6 hours before they finally managed to beat me. Two of them were very good experienced players, and my brother is not too shabby either. I recall getting down to only a couple of construction submarines and some underwater power and metal extractors.... and staging several minor comebacks and taking out a good number of their aircraft .... but eventually getting wiped out by aircraft ....

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Hours of heart-beats sounds in Dungeons of Daggorath.

Mechwarrior 2, over direct dial-up. Aw, yeah.

Quake 2 FFA w/ Lithium.

Tribes...mmm, Tribes...

Mechwarrior 3, for the best MW single-player yet created, and not too shabby multi, after enough patches (Microprose was an early adopter of the, "let's just release a beta," philosophy of deadline management).

Mariokart 64, with exactly three other people. Single-player sucked, and two-player wasn't nearly enough chaos. Four players was perfection.

Starcraft, against friends.

Diablo, even after having to screen for known-legit players, and use anti-cheat cheat apps.

Diablo II, up to around '07. Later patches divided players into magic finders with plenty of time, and 'the rest of us'; and also, the casting delay added to hydra made my spam-happy fire sorceress :'( (warmth, fireball, hydra, and meteor: light the screen up and let other people handle fire-immunes). OTOH, later patches made the Necromancer and Druid even more awesome.

Not just the playing, but after years of not being able to hunt it down, finding Raptor: Call of the Shadows for sale (even abandonware sites were lacking it, given the excellent long-term reliability of floppies). Nowadays, it's on GoG, but as a late shareware game with a split up license, and various company take-overs of the Windows license, it was hard to find. I could find others asking about/for it, and that was it, for a very long time. It and Einhander hold a special place in my heart, when it comes to scrolling shooters.

Beating Warioland 4. Actually, I haven't done that, yet. But, you know, I keep on trying. One of these days I'll manage to do it, it will be grand, and I've already sent way too many hours trying.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Let me try and remember the past now.

OK here it goes...

1) Red Baron (1992) Spent hours and Hours playing the single player game. No internet for me then.

2) Dune 2 (1992) -- practically addicted to this game for awhile.

3) Red Baron 3d (1998 or 1999) ---- One of my all time favorite multiplayer game.

4) Tribes 1 -----> 2nd all time fav multiplayer game.

5) Close Combat -- A bridge too far -----really good single player fun

6) Return to Castle Wolfenstein -----loved this Multiplayer game a lot as well

7) BF1942 -----loved being able to use vehicles and aircraft

8) Vietcong ----I am a sucker for this type of war era games

Cannot think any more memorable games to me.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
So I gotta say:

Diablo 1 just playing the demo for hours was HUGE fun at the time. the full game was as well.

Diablo 2. All I have to say is MOO.

Baldur's Gate 2, Finally Beating Irenicus after about 15 tries and then going on to ToB.

God of War: The first, and just about every other "Boss" battle in the game. They were Epic. the fact that 10 minutes into the game and you were already hacking apart a Cracken. EPIC.

Xcom Apocalypse: Stepping out of the drop ship and laying waste to the surrounding area by shooting off a bunch of Blaster bombs was pretty awesome.

Jedi Knight: Stomping around in the corridors of an Imperial Installation, cutting down Storm Troopers with My lightsaber and tossing Thermal Detonators everywhere.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Hidden & Dangerous. What a fun game. AI was shit, though. Had to micro manage all 4 men...

Head shots were so satisfying in that game.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
PlaneScape:Torment for it's amazing story.

Baldur's gate was amazing.

Starcraft ... tons of fun drinking and playing this game in college.

Arena: The Elder Scrolls was my fallback game all through grade school.

Final Fantasy... ahh the wasted days of leveling up 4 black belts.... a classic

River City Ransom was the game my brothers and I played together. Ever so often we'd try and beat the game but it was basically double dragon with power-ups and the ability to hit your teammates ala battletoads.

Diablo 2 - my college game once I moved out of the dorms... eventually ruined by all the botting & dupping.

League of Legends ... the most fun I've had in video games since 2004.

Final Fantasy Tactics... getting 5 toons to master every class including summoner .... what a waste of time.

Neverwinter Nights 1 for all the mods made by Adama Miller et. al.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Mostly the playing together with friends IRL.

Alot of all-day sessions of Diablo 2 with my ex & 2 other friends. Before we went to WOW.

My favorite memory of wow...
We were running BRD.
I'm a shitty tank, my gf was healer. My 2 friends & we pug'd some random dps'er.
We were all getting trashed.
We were about 2/3 way through instance. Just as I was pulling a large group, the ex started fondling my meat & making out with me. I'm making out with her, while at same time trying to tell her to heal me & tank this group without heals. We wiped. By that time all the mobs in start of entrance respawned, so we gave up at that point.
Went & took care of business. Then we went back to playing wow & getting more trashed.
My favorite gaming memory. I miss those times...

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Starcraft - Customs rocked, loved going into the "7 vs 1 CRAZY AI" type games and killing off all the human players whitest trying to survive the AI :D Chaotic stuff.

Diablo II - After i got rich in it of course, sucks when you are poor. I had a lot of fun with my necromancer in the cow level, bone wall was a magnet for cows and i would use it to lead the cows to the low level players standing near portal and watch the slaughter from afar :thumbsup:

C&C RA 1 (on PS1 surprisingly!) - We actually did that thing where you drag two playstations together and hook them up, played multiplayer games on 2 screens, was awesome. Playing this led me onto the PC version.

C&C RA 2 - Spent many games on invasion confirmed and that paris map with friends, good times. Also that map with the wall through the middle was pretty damn fun.

Bad company 2 - Baserape is good fun. Some people complain about this but the alternative is letting them come out, cap 1 flag, then they lose it again seconds later. If a team is no good its not going to get better with 1 flag. Shooting choppers on vietnam with the tank is awesome too!

Left 4 dead - I loved this when it was new and fresh! I remember playing with friends and on my first encounter with the tank i decided to incap my friend and ran away, told him to "hold him off" :D It was a good laugh but we all died in the end.

Company of heros - Oh man the games on this... especially the ones lasting an hour plus where in the end the map looks like the moon. Awesome game, i thought it sucked initially but the extra two expansion factions added variety which i enjoyed. <3 the scheldt, <3 lyon, <3 montargis region.

Simcity 2000 - I loved this, i built 13 huge cities and 1 map editor enhanced megacity.

Fallout 3 - I remember the first time i walked into megaton thinking ehh this looks pretty cool i guess... i had no idea of the fun i was in for! Creeping around the subway with a laser rifle was awesome, same with the final mission! "Better dead than red!!"

League of legends - Losing two teammates but still owning 3 v 5 with rammus and 4x sunfire caps and winning, game rocks when you win, sucks when you lose.

Wow i typed a lot :eek: Could probably go on there's been so much awesomeness over the past 13-14 years in gaming.

ShadowVVL

May 1, 2010
FF7 Midgar

SC Income D once I got good at it i couldnt stop playing

Diablo 2 in the desert killing bugs and snakes

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Man, that is 29 years of computer gaming for me (commodore 64) there is way too much to list.

Have to say it's slowed down for me in recent years though, Borderlands might have had something for me if it wasn't a grindfest. Would love to see a Just Cause 2 or a Elder Scrolls where you can host your own local server where you and 4-8 of your own friends can get on and have permanent effects on the world. No MMO crap though. Once an NPC is dead they should be dead for good.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
45 kill streak on cod4 is one that is memorable for me. there was no alert for anything higher than 40 iirc...

25093010-3.jpg

I will also have to dig up the screen shot when I get home, but I dropped a 30 bomb in a Cal-M match once...that was pretty rape.

ive had a lot of great moments when gaming though, too many to recall.

Last edited:

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Red Baron. The movie-making ability was one of the coolest ideas.
TIE Fighter. Tied with the above for the best flight sim I've ever played.

For Non-PC, there is only one series I'll never forget:

Legacy of Kain. Best voice acting, unbeatable story.

Last edited:

chihlidog

Apr 12, 2011
I'll add one. Supreme Commander. I was just trying out the demo. Playing on Finn's Revenge, and both me and the AI of course were Cybran (limited by the demo to one map and one race).

I had gotten pwned a few times since I just wasnt used to all the units, I didnt read anything, I just jumped right in and it showed. After a few matches, I had built a ton of point defenses, had built shields and parked Salems under them for what I thought was an excellent long range defense.

I didnt mount hardly any offense, was more focused on making my base impenetrable (I was used to RA:2 where you could actually do that) and having spent a good while setting everything up, here comes a big wave of enemy units. My Salems and my cerebrus were taking care of most of it, and I was sitting back rather smugly when out of the fog comes this giant BUG! I threw everything I had at it and it just completely wiped everything out. I was flipping out, yelling and wondering what the hell this thing was desperately tossing units at it to try and take it out.

I'll never forget my introduction to the experimentals LOL.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Red Baron. The movie-making ability was one of the coolest ideas.
TIE Fighter. Tied with the above for the best flight sim I've ever played.

For Non-PC, there is only one series I'll never forget:

Legacy of Kain. Best voice acting, unbeatable story.

If someone put a gun to my head and say pick one Multiplayer to play for a whole year and NOTHING else.

I would pick Red Baron 3d at its peak!!

Can you imagine the massive dogfights over beautiful terrain and perfectly detailed aircraft?

I miss those days:(

Capt Hungry

Mar 5, 2007
I too many fond memories to narrow it down. But some highlights:

Deathmatching on a LAN with DOOM and Quake

Using the Chain Lightning gun or throwing a gravity well in Painkeep Arena for Quake 3

Tank smashing 18 people in a row in Battlefield Heroes

Making it to Xen in Half Life

Trying out all sorts of mods for CNC Tiberian Sun

Good times.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
TFC - clan matches and competitive gaming was great fun!

Dragon Warrior 1-4 - Favorite JRPG's of all time!

Gauntlet 1, 2, Legends - Loved the first 2 when I was first getting into gaming... Then legends blew me away with the awesome addictive mindless hack 'n' slash fun. Friends and I actually had a sleepover party for my birthday right as it was released for N64, we put 27 hours into the game without sleep. That game caused some mad overheating issues with the 4mb RAM-pack, we had to cycle some cold soda cans to keep it cool enough to not crash.

Adventures of Lolo (series) - fun fun fun puzzle games, really get you thinking about how to solve the level... get stuck for hours, fall asleep... wake up in the middle of the night with the solution after countless dreams of the current level.

Edit for another game: Battletanks and Battletanks 2 for N64 - Good god these games were awesome... I spent so much time playing them and just wishing that there could be something as cool on my PC at some point... not sure if there ever was, but those games kicked ass and I wonder if anyone else ever really played em?

Last edited:

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
i just remember one of the most fun was with UT.

map was named Two towers. I had so much fun rushing or sniping.

theb144

Sep 23, 2011
just thought of another one playing Delta Force:Black Hawk Down we were in a clan matchagainst these douches that everyone knew cheated but could not prove it (no one had it on fraps) so we played 4 maps and were tied 2-2 and it came down to the 5th map we all had our fraps running to catch them cheating by running through building walls but no luck yet. it was down to 10 kills leftin the game and we took a strong lead then the cheating started hardcore and on the last kill which i got to win the map the other clan ran out of a building u couldnt go into and i shot him for the win and the ban from the tournament.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
let's see...

Zelda: a link to the pass - after passing from 3 quest you could finally get the MASTERS SWORD..damm that was a truly epic fell

Half Life 1 - the first boss... Seriously, it's the best boss design that i have ever played...

Diablo 1- when i finnaly get into hell..it was like "WTF!!! looks like im inside of giant whale" ....oh yes, not forgetting the butcher

Crono Trigger- nuff said