Question What was your first SSD and when did you buy it?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Here is my first SSD (a 64GB Sandisk 2.5") which I bought in early 2014.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My first SSD purchase(s), were a batch of five, OCZ Agility 30GB SSDs. I figured that I would run two in RAID-0, on each of my two main desktops, and have a spare, maybe for a friend.

Well, after running a pair in RAID-0, and getting good initial benchmarks right after installation, the lack of TRIM, and the smaller SSD size, meant that my benchmarks after a week or so, were WORSE than a single drive, that had been receiving TRIM commands. So I reluctantly broke them up, and was using them individually as boot / OS drives, for a pair of Core2Quad Win7 64-bit desktop PCs. Which, they worked out fairly well for a couple of years, until the updates started piling one, but at some point, there just wasn't enough free space left to effectively use the PC without slowdown and pauses.

I had also given one of the (new) 30GB Agility SSDs to a buddy of mine, with an Athlon II X4 rig that I had hooked him up with. (Windows 7 Home retail upgrade, 30GB SSD, and Athlon II X4 AM3 CPU were his collective Christmas present that year. He's still using the X4 and Win7, but we upgraded his SSD finally to a decent M500 120GB SSD some years later, when he was "feeling the pinch" of lack of storage as well.)

I kind of forgot what I upgraded to in the interim, but I think that it was a pair of 80GB Intel X25-M G2 drives, which were all the rage back then. Pretty solid drives, overall, and endurance built like tanks.

Reactions: cbn

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
My first was Crucial M4 around late 2011, still kicking to this day.
Was really tempted to buy something back in 2009, but the whole jmicron deal, that was available at the time really put me off (apart from pricing as well).

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
The 240GB Patriot SSD I purchased for $80 at Fry's Electronics just before prices seemed to dramatically increase. (The model I purposely sought uses the more reliable MLC nand.)

Ya, the SSD was fast initially, but found out that my notebook system with certain applications wont work right with "trim" enabled when I use sand boxing (such as Drive Shield or Time Freeze). Turns out that one might just as well use a 7.2K rpm spinner, so basically I stay with spinners and have no regrets. In a couple decades out of 50 -60 spinners I cant remember more than just a couple of failures. (PS: The Patriot SSD is still in place in the T420 Levovo notebook computer, but without trim, it's as fast as a 7.2K rpm hard drive. However, it probably uses less power.)

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
64GB Samsung 470 in 2011 for $92. I updated my desktop in 2012 and moved it to my wife's laptop for a couple years. Then it sat in a box for 3-4 years. I just put it in my niebhor's laptop and updated him to Windows 10 last weekend. He is amazed how fast his laptop is now with that 8 year old SSD!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
hmmm i had a mtron... but i dont remember if it was 2009 or 2010... :\
i remember it was HELLA expensive...
Thank god i got it for free from a raffle.

Unless you guys consider I-Ram an SSD...
I was playing with that for a bit.. lol... but it wasn't practical with only 4GB, which back then was HELLA expensive too... sigh..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-RAM

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Back in '12 I bought a 64gb Plextor M3 drive off Newegg. I gave it to my nephew a year later when I upgraded to a larger drive. I was in town over the New Year and he told me he still has it and installed it in his new Ryzen rig. I thought it was pretty cool that the little Plextor was still alive and kicking.haha

Even though it was small it introduced me to the wonderful world of SSDs and I never looked back. Every system I've built or bought since then has gotten an SSD as the main boot drive. The difference was amazing. On my most recent rig I went NVME in the M.2 slot and while it is faster It still doesn't compare to the first time I booted into Windows on that Plextor.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I believe my first SSD was an OCZ Agility 2 256 GB, I think I got it around the time they were new. It failed later on, and the one I got from RMA later failed again, but I still have it.

gipper53

Apr 4, 2013
Mine was a 240GB Intel 535 that was the C: drive in my new i7 3770 build in early 2013. It now lives in an external enclosure as a USB storage drive.

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
I guess I was late to the SSD party judging by the average here :)

Replaced my 1TB 3.5" HDD with two Crucial M500 (480GB and 240GB) SSD's in may 2015. That was a night and day experience.

Swapped the 480 GB for a 1TB two years later and the 240GB (which was the system drive) for the 480GB last year when I upgraded to a new system. I also added an M.2 Corsair MP500 for the system then.