What was the WORST movie you ever saw, that critics liked?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I too loved Fargo, weirdly funny. Sixth Sense was good in a creepy way.

Eyes Wide Shut, WTH was that? Even nudity couldn't/didn't redeem it!

Fight Club. The movie was over at the halfway point, why continue the facade of realization of the truth when the audience already knew?

pg22

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2000
I'm still wondering how the hell Shakespear in Love won the best picture Oscar over Saving Private Ryan.

Now with American Beauty winning the next year, I swear my community's PTA board is running the Acadamy Awards.....

timmyG

Oct 12, 2000
1. THIN RED LINE--unlike most i thought this movie was alright, but when watching it again at my house with my friend, we just fastforwarded half the frekin movie because half the parts are boring as hell. the action is pretty good, and i liked the crazy general.

2. EYES WIDE SHUT--liked the nudity, but ya, the story was pretty lame and there were also some pretty boring parts. i think the people that review these movies think they are so smart, and where most people say oh this part sucks and i would rather take a nap, they think they are so smart, and interpret these boring parts as something that stimulates the mind, therefore they say the movie is great to make them look real smart, whereas other people would say i dont see the point of that scene.

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I agree with the Thin Red Line. However, I do love Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Fargo, Notting Hill, and a few others that were posted here. One movie I still find overrated is Saving Private Ryan. I don't see much creativity in Steven Spielberg anymore. I didn't care for Blair Witch too much, but I can't say it was a bad movie.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Two Girls and A Guy, or something like that, with Robert Downey Jr.

I just could NOT like or sympathize with any of the characters, they were all just self-centered neurotics to me.

Saw a weird movie this week, Holy Smoke with Kate Winslet and Harvy Keitel. I liked it, Mr. Isla hated it. But then again, it is a Jane Campion film... I loved The Piano, and Mr Isla hated that, too.

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
GOD I HATE TITANIC! AND THAT STUPID THEME SONG TOO! excuse the caps lock madness :)